DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
fisherKing
KVRAF
2033 posts since 6 Aug, 2009

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:43 am

Teksonik wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:09 am
Satyatunes has a very nice skin for Dune 3 and I wouldn't surprised if he does more in the future. :tu:

http://www.satyatunes.com/web/index.php

thanx, will check that out!

EDIT: the sound of this thing is SO good, it reminds me of my brother's juno 60 (so much better than his later juno 106)...
always one plugin short of perfection...

Danilo Villanova
KVRist
237 posts since 30 Apr, 2018

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:06 am

nachenko wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:36 am
Danilo Villanova wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:19 am
I bought Dune 3 after downloading the demos of all the famous synths. I just couldn't believe the sound quality, I was absolutely floored.

...I think most of the EDM kids are semi deaf and can't really recognize quality when they hear it. Honorable exception is Diva and a few other analog emulations.
I understand what you say, but this is a bit unfair. People evaluate quality comparing to what they know, and most people don't have access to high end stuff long enough to train their ears.

But for that very reason, you have to take any online opinion quite carefully.

Dune 3 was the first soft synth that made me say "I don't miss my hardware anymore". It took the most part of a year demoing pretty much everything. There are plenty of "good" synths out there, but if you're aiming for the absolute best, the list becomes short fast.

I've come to the point of even considering getting hardware again.

I'm curious about other emulations you tried, specially if you demoed some Roland Cloud stuff.
You're right about people not having access to high end audio equipment, that's why I think they are so impressed when they hear some synths that, in my opinion, do not have a pleasant sound and/or don't respond in a musical manner when you play them on a keyboard. A lot of people making music don't actually play an instrument, they just program stuff in their DAW's or even use MIDI loops.

I tried TAL Uno-Lx, Diva and The Legend. They're all great but they'e very good emulations of real synths as opposed to being their own thing. But the "modern" synths, the ones that are not emulating anything, in my opinion don't come close to being as musical and pleasant sounding as Diva and The Legend (except for Dune). A lot of them are extremely harsh and lacking in the bottom end and the presets sound like they are actually trying to annoy the listener. I tried emulating the sound and (specially) the response of Dune in some of them to no avail. Even when turning off the "retrigger" option, adding some tuning drift, making sure that velocity is affecting volume and filter, etc. They're just disappointing. I am having a lot of fun with Cobalt (a free one) and Studio One's Mai Tai and I actually think Reason's Europa sounds pretty nice and musical so is not like I hate all of them.

Caine123
KVRAF
6124 posts since 5 Aug, 2009

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:18 am

When will they offer some kind of 30% off upgrade price....
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

starflakeprj
KVRian
1198 posts since 28 Feb, 2015

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:38 am

Caine123 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:18 am
When will they offer some kind of 30% off upgrade price....
Exactly the 14th of September 2021...
Intel Core i7-4930K @ 4.1GHz | 64GB DDR3 | Windows 10 Pro | Arturia AudioFuse | Arturia KeyLab mkII | Studio One 4.5 | Reason 10.4 | Bitwig Studio 3.00 | Reaper 5.978 | Renoise 3.1 | FL Studio 20.5 | 500+ VSTs | 200+ REs

User avatar
Spencer Maddox
KVRian
576 posts since 19 Oct, 2017 from a state of anxiety

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:41 am

starflakeprj wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:38 am
Caine123 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:18 am
When will they offer some kind of 30% off upgrade price....
Exactly the 14th of September 2021...
at 2:34 Am until 5:21 Pm
College Flunkie
Preset Junkie

PieBerger
KVRian
518 posts since 23 May, 2012 from London

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:26 pm

Caine123 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:18 am
When will they offer some kind of 30% off upgrade price....
They probably won't, doesn't seem to fit their business model. They do 40% off the full product at the usual seasonal times, so the price of entry is cheaper, but they need revenue to stay afloat which they presumably get through the fixed upgrade pricing. This is different to say u-he who typically don't sales, save for intro/pre-orders, but their upgrade pricing is comparatively low. The long term costs of ownership/upgrades are probably quite similar between the two companies it's just a case of paying earlier or later. It's a bit much to ask for a dev to do regular sales on new licenses AND upgrades, especially when SA products are already priced quite well.
Always Read the Manual!

starflakeprj
KVRian
1198 posts since 28 Feb, 2015

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:31 pm

Spencer Maddox wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:41 am
starflakeprj wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:38 am
Caine123 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:18 am
When will they offer some kind of 30% off upgrade price....
Exactly the 14th of September 2021...
at 2:34 Am until 5:21 Pm
Oh, so you got the email too? :)
Intel Core i7-4930K @ 4.1GHz | 64GB DDR3 | Windows 10 Pro | Arturia AudioFuse | Arturia KeyLab mkII | Studio One 4.5 | Reason 10.4 | Bitwig Studio 3.00 | Reaper 5.978 | Renoise 3.1 | FL Studio 20.5 | 500+ VSTs | 200+ REs

Firebird
KVRian
541 posts since 9 Aug, 2005 from USA

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:19 pm

Spencer Maddox wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:41 am
starflakeprj wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:38 am
Caine123 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:18 am
When will they offer some kind of 30% off upgrade price....
Exactly the 14th of September 2021...
at 2:34 Am until 5:21 Pm
When the moon is in Uranus...

Elektronisch
KVRAF
3689 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:12 pm

Caine123 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:18 am
When will they offer some kind of 30% off upgrade price....
Just use Dune 2 if you dont need bigger skins and wavetable editor. Dune 3 doesnt offer much more to what Dune 2 has.

Personaly from the new features i only use Alpha Filter. How stupid funny it sounds: i paid money to get a bigger monitor and had to pay for so much money for tiny update so i could be able to have a bigger skin :lol: i still think wavetable editor is just a gimmic, alot of people want it, developers think they want that, but in reality alot of those people just use presets and only few of them use actual editor :D

kudos to NI U-He to understanding that what people want isnt always something they actually use or need :hihi:

AnX
KVRAF
5786 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:10 pm

Elektronisch wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:12 pm
i still think wavetable editor is just a gimmic, alot of people want it, developers think they want that, but in reality alot of those people just use presets and only few of them use actual editor

based on what evidence?

Elektronisch
KVRAF
3689 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:22 pm

AnX wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:10 pm
Elektronisch wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:12 pm
i still think wavetable editor is just a gimmic, alot of people want it, developers think they want that, but in reality alot of those people just use presets and only few of them use actual editor
based on what evidence?
Common sense? i doubt you would ask this question if you were living from DJ/Performing/Producing.

Wavetable editor is cool, but be real, its more for a nerd side of producers whom arent a majority.

AnX
KVRAF
5786 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:46 pm

Elektronisch wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:22 pm
AnX wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:10 pm
Elektronisch wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:12 pm
i still think wavetable editor is just a gimmic, alot of people want it, developers think they want that, but in reality alot of those people just use presets and only few of them use actual editor
based on what evidence?
Common sense?
so no evidence then, pure speculation

Elektronisch wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:22 pm
i doubt you would ask this question if you were living from DJ/Performing/Producing.
why?

Elektronisch
KVRAF
3689 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:02 pm

AnX wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:46 pm
Elektronisch wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:22 pm
AnX wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:10 pm
Elektronisch wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:12 pm
i still think wavetable editor is just a gimmic, alot of people want it, developers think they want that, but in reality alot of those people just use presets and only few of them use actual editor
based on what evidence?
Common sense?
so no evidence then, pure speculation

Elektronisch wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:22 pm
i doubt you would ask this question if you were living from DJ/Performing/Producing.
why?
Time consumption. And no its not a pure speculation, its from my own and collegue expierience, when i had couple of months of flying every weekend for a gig combined with deadlines, i really had not much time to nerd around. And im not even that busy as some of my collegues (photoshoots, meetings, trailer shoots). Even if you remove the performances and if you have a regular job, but you still have a side job of making music professionaly there isnt much time left in the schedule.

Am i not saying the truth AnX? prove me wrong, because making good wavetables does take time or it doesnt? maybe you can stop time and geek around, great if you dont have anyting else besides that to do, but we are talking about majority of people in general :)

AnX
KVRAF
5786 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:18 pm

if making music is your 'job' then making WTs is part of that equation if that's what's required

ive made them very quickly, and also taken weeks (a bit here, a bit there)

personally, i agree tho. The old editor was/is perfect for me. I think the new one was a big mistake and waste of dev time. I hardly use WTs anyway, and i havent used the new WT editor once.

i dont have any evidence about how other ppl feel about the new editor, but i havent seen anyone outside of the beta forum mention it anywhere.... most ppl ask questions about complex new features, so either everyone is a genius, or nobody uses it :shrug:

dasen
KVRist
107 posts since 15 May, 2012

Re: DUNE 3 is now available!!

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:04 pm

How do I change the GUI size of Dune 3? Cant find any button?

Return to “Instruments”