Are subscription models a cure for GAS?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The subscription model seems to be a perfect fit for those that tend to buy a lot of things on impulse.

And those who quickly get bored with their plugin libraries and are always looking for the next "silver bullet" plugin.

It may also be a perfect fit for those always looking for a creative spark through presets and other elements they might not have thought about before.

Even though you might be stuck with only a brand or two, it would also tame that itch you get every time you see the next "game changer" plugin, that is being hyped up as the next must have plugin.

There might actually be a useful need for the subscription model after all, besides a long term demo rental at an affordable price.

rewrite history wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:28 pm There might actually be a useful need for the subscription model after all
Nah... Subscriptions suck.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Disagree. Some maths:

Add up all the slate models (assuming you would use them, I do) and then give them a 50% off sale.

Then add up subscriptions for let's say 10 years (which is absurdly liberal considering tech will change a lot in that time) and you'll get AT WORST about 1500 bucks (and I sure as hell have not paid 1-fiddy a year). Which is worse? See, maths ARE good.

It's financial suicide to pay for those plug separately. Yes, yes, if you don't use them they are worthless but I use them all the time so it's win.

The one that sucked was the MCDSP one that I did. You cannot suspend it, and the only plug I really like was the 6050 and it went on sale a week later for fiddy. :cry: :help: So I got hosed on that one.

The one for Studio One is cool too. I used it for about 4 months, decided I didn't want it anymore and canceled it. If I would have been in love with S1, I would have bought it here and then canceled it, so it was convenient.

Blank statements like "subscriptions suck" is pretty lame and you don't really have an argument financially. It really depends on the individual and prices.

create a problem and then sell the solution. that's how companies rip you off. they priced 'em to be expensive in the first place (create the problem) to make consumers feel like their subscription is worth it (sell the solution). sheep.
~Pyrotek45

reggie1979 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:35 pm Blank statements like "subscriptions suck" is pretty lame and you don't really have an argument financially.
Hmm... So I own all the slate plugins that I want (except the new gate and the API EQ).

All the other 3rd party shite like reverbs, guitar emulations, delay units I own by the bucket load. So, I don't ever want anything like that from Slate. Also, bear in mind that I never paid full price for a Slate plugin either (intro, vouchers and sales).

And given the fact, that I won't use any of that 3rd party stuff and Slate are exceedingly slow at releasing plugins I don't think I'll buy into the subscription plan. Not a good deal for previous Slate owners - who have a lot of their stuff (IMO).

Also, considering I've already PAID for most of their plugins - Seems bit silly for me to then pay a sub model for stuff that I already own. Just a bit of basic 'math' there.

And before you whine about me calling Slate slow please ask them where the fook FGX numero 2 is?? How many years are we waiting fro it now? :hihi:

Also, Slate plugins are not indispensable for me at all, but Fabfilter on the other hand...

Anyway, as I said earlier, Subscriptions suck balls. :tu:
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Pyrotek45 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:48 pm create a problem and then sell the solution. that's how companies rip you off. they priced 'em to be expensive in the first place (create the problem) to make consumers feel like their subscription is worth it (sell the solution). sheep.
He gets it! :tu:

Robmobius wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:15 pm
reggie1979 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:35 pm Blank statements like "subscriptions suck" is pretty lame and you don't really have an argument financially.
Hmm... So I own all the slate plugins that I want (except the new gate and the API EQ).

All the other 3rd party shite like reverbs, guitar emulations, delay units I own by the bucket load. So, I don't ever want anything like that from Slate. Also, bear in mind that I never paid full price for a Slate plugin either (intro, vouchers and sales).

And given the fact, that I won't use any of that 3rd party stuff and Slate are exceedingly slow at releasing plugins I don't think I'll buy into the subscription plan. Not a good deal for previous Slate owners - who have a lot of their stuff (IMO).

Also, considering I've already PAID for most of their plugins - Seems bit silly for me to then pay a sub model for stuff that I already own. Just a bit of basic 'math' there.

And before you whine about me calling Slate slow please ask them where the fook FGX numero 2 is?? How many years are we waiting fro it now? :hihi:

Also, Slate plugins are not indispensable for me at all, but Fabfilter on the other hand...

Anyway, as I said earlier, Subscriptions suck balls. :tu:
You completely forgot about the "EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT" situation. OBVIOUSLY if you own them, that sub would suck. For me it's terrific.

I hate these threads, everyone thinks they are right and everyone else is wrong, I said w/o needing to clarify further that it depends on who you are.

Later!

The problem is with a subscription you haven't really Acquired anything. You know what I mean?
When I stay in a hotel, nice as it may be, I don't really feel the comfort and security of home ownership.

Subscriptions -- Rentals -- could be more expensive in the long run if you have a habit of trying a lot of products and have difficulty saying no. You could end up with multiple rental fees from multiple companies this way, while never really owning anything. This is just fuel for the obsessive, gear hoarding addict.

Besides, what happens if you rent some software to write a song/album and have the mental fortitude to cancel the rental sub, then 6 months / 12 months / 4 years later you need to edit that song/album? If you own the software license and have a backed up copy you're all set. If you were renting you better hope the company still has that version available -- or is even in business.

reggie1979 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:35 pm You completely forgot about the "EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT" situation.
Yeah you did...

And don't cry like your a victim here - with your condescending 'basic math' quote. Passive aggressive beyatch. :lol:

Another problem I have with Subs is you might end up paying for a lot of tat, that you may not actually want.

At least with House of Kush, you get a lot of his bespoke plugins and you're not stuck with a load of third party stuff 'filler' stuff.

In the case of Slate's portfolio, there are several plugins that have been added to make the sub even more desirable. But quite a number of these are duplicates in one form or the other. Do I really need another delay from D16? Nope... I have a billion of them. What about a lush reverb? I own Seventh Heaven from LS (and two others from them also).

Hey, but what about guitar emulations like S-Gear? I have it and another million on top of that. Yeah but you get a cool EQ too! Thanks but I've got Fabfilter Pro-Q3, 'nuff said.

Anyway, if subs work for people that's cool... But I think they are crapola.

PS - And let us not forget they 'stack' too. So, if you sub to slate, House of Kush and then a couple more then your wallet will probably start to burn. ;)

Rent to own is a nice model imo

Absolutely agree that rent-to-own is a great model in certain situations. It's especially useful for products that are quite expensive, and that are not typically on sale. I would love rent-to-own for Omnisphere, for example. That's probably the only way they'd get me to buy that. I can't justify spending $499 at once on a plugin, but $21 a month for 24 months would be surmountable, if I found myself using it all the time.

Subscriptions are a terrible idea however. You end up paying more in the long run ($10 a month here, $15 a month here - it adds up). Also your productions end up hostage to the subscription. If you stop paying, your old projects won't load properly any more, forcing you to renew a bunch of subscriptions for plugins you no longer use, just so you can load up and tweak an old project.
The only time I'd consider a subscription is if I were on the fence about buying some product, and wanted to "demo" it for another month or two before buying, provided the option to buy were also available.

I'd rather just find cheaper alternatives (it's not like there's a shortage of quality, reasonably priced effects and instruments) or wait for a sale (it seems everyone is doing those 50 - 80% off sales nowadays).

But, what about the person that buys every new "must have" plugin that comes out? You know the person that has a library full of plugins they haven't touched in a long time. $50 dollars here, $100 dollars there and even $199+ for a single plugin.

If you calculate their purchases over the last 10 years it might make the subscription model more appealing. Because they can cancel at anytime after acknowledging it's lack of use. Trying to resell old plugins for a fraction of the cost or having them sit on your hard drive can be a bigger waste of money.

With subscription you may not impulsively buy plugins, but you lose your cash constantly :hihi: So no money and no satisfaction either.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Return to “Effects”