Looking for a specific kind of vocal sampler plugin that doesn't adjust sample speed

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey all,

I am looking for a plugin in which I can load up multiple vocal samples, extend each of them across an octave on the keyboard, and then mess around and make a melody. I use Logic and currently do this with the EXS24, however this is limiting because it automatically speeds up and slows the sample speed when I adjust the pitch.

I want a similar kind of sampler where I can load in the samples, maybe 5-6, extend them out an octave (C0-C1, C1-C2, etc.) and then play, but with the speed of the sample remaining constant. Anyone have any ideas?

I got UVI workstation, but as far as I know I can't extend out each sample across octaves, I have to basically mess around with each sample individually, record, and then move on to the next sample. If someone knows how to add each sample across the whole keyboard in octaves on UVI, then that would work perfectly.

Thank you!

Most samplers have a one-shot mode for drum samples etc. I don’t use Logic but I would be surprised if EXS24 doesn’t support this. You can however do this with Kontakt, for instance

Halion 6

Falcon can, using the stretch oscillator. Since you're used to using the workstation, you'll have some familiarity with the underlying engine.

ew
A spectral heretic...

Avenger, when Keytrack of the OSC is set to "0"

Or you can use the stretch of you daw? If your sample is for example C3, then make duplicates from C3 to C4 and from C3 to C2 and drag the audiofiles to any sampler that can work with multisamples.

Alchemy (in Logic) in Granular, Spectral or Additive mode

TAL Sampler can do this.

mixtur.se wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:25 am Most samplers have a one-shot mode for drum samples etc. I don’t use Logic but I would be surprised if EXS24 doesn’t support this. You can however do this with Kontakt, for instance
Thanks. So with Kontakt, for instance, I can take 5 random hits within a vocal verse, drop them in Kontakt and spread them across 5 octaves on my keyboard?

Vortifex wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:40 pm TAL Sampler can do this.
Thanks. It looks promising.

CinningBao wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:39 pm Alchemy (in Logic) in Granular, Spectral or Additive mode
I knew you could manipulate one vocal sample in alchemy, but I didn't realize you could map out a bunch of vocal hits and extend them across octaves. I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

xbrett82 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:52 pm
CinningBao wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:39 pm Alchemy (in Logic) in Granular, Spectral or Additive mode
I knew you could manipulate one vocal sample in alchemy, but I didn't realize you could map out a bunch of vocal hits and extend them across octaves. I'll have to check that out. Thanks!
It's a powerful synth, one of the most highly-rated until it became Logic-only.
Enjoy :)

Distorted Horizon wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:26 am Or you can use the stretch of you daw? If your sample is for example C3, then make duplicates from C3 to C4 and from C3 to C2 and drag the audiofiles to any sampler that can work with multisamples.
Yes, play with the tracking parameter:

Tracking: When enabled, the pitch of the Sample playback will be transposed along with the key position. If your Group contains Zones that are mapped across several keys and should be played tonally, Tracking needs to be activated, or else all keys of the Zone will play at the same pitch. If you want to keep the pitch of a Sample constant across multiple keys or provide a separate Zone for each key (as it’s the case with chromatically sampled Instruments), you can deactivate it.

Page 222 in the manual https://www.native-instruments.com/file ... nglish.pdf

CinningBao wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:18 pm
xbrett82 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:52 pm
It's a powerful synth, one of the most highly-rated until it became Logic-only.
Enjoy :)
Hey,

So I have been working with this in Alchemy and am running into an issue. I import the samples, but the samples exponentially increase in pitch as I go up the keyboard. They don't reset after I've reached the end of an octave. For instance, in EXS24, I'll set up some vocal hits from C0-C1 and C1-C2. At C0 it will start at 0 pitch and transpose up 12 notes, and then when I hit C1 it will start over again with the new vocal hit. But instead, it just keeps rising, so if I load up 5 samples, by the time I hit C5, the pitch is so high you can barely hear it. Is there something I can do to make it so each sample is its own separate entity in terms of pitch, and resets back to zero at the first note?

On this page https://support.apple.com/kb/PH27157?lo ... cale=en_US look at the screenshot; the column labelled Key underneath Pitch is what you'll need to play with. It kind of works in reverse - the lower the pitch in that value the higher the centre pitch of the sample. You'll need to distance these an octave apart for each sample.

That should be enough to get you going, let us know if not.

Return to “Instruments”