[Electronic] tm-April18

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Comments/Questions welcome. Thanks for the support.

https://soundcloud.com/user-117743396/april18

My Feedback

Music - 6
Instruments - 9
Performance - 9.5
Mix - 9

Overall - 8.375

Comments: 4 chords with seasoning but no meat. That is the essence of 90% of the music posted here. Doesn't anybody know how to write a lead line? Is it so foreign to today's generation? Don't get me wrong. The arrangement is nice. It varies and it keeps the piece somewhat interesting, but only up to a point. And when a piece is 5 minutes long it needs more than just this. I guess I need to lower my expectations around here because I'm obviously fighting a losing battle.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:44 pm My Feedback

Music - 6
Instruments - 9
Performance - 9.5
Mix - 9

Overall - 8.375

Comments: 4 chords with seasoning but no meat. That is the essence of 90% of the music posted here. Doesn't anybody know how to write a lead line? Is it so foreign to today's generation? Don't get me wrong. The arrangement is nice. It varies and it keeps the piece somewhat interesting, but only up to a point. And when a piece is 5 minutes long it needs more than just this. I guess I need to lower my expectations around here because I'm obviously fighting a losing battle.
Wagtunes, Thx again for the review. I don't disagree with your thoughts...everyone is entitled to their own opinion for sure. I'd love to hear a song within edm/dance/house genre that possesses the lead you're looking for. Please provide an example. Thx in advance. BTW there are more than 4 chords used in this production ;).

mindstuff wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:07 pm
wagtunes wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:44 pm My Feedback

Music - 6
Instruments - 9
Performance - 9.5
Mix - 9

Overall - 8.375

Wagtunes, Thx again for the review. I don't disagree with your thoughts...everyone is entitled to their own opinion for sure. I'd love to hear a song within edm/dance/house genre that possesses the lead you're looking for. Please provide an example. Thx in advance. BTW there are more than 4 chords used in this production ;).
Provide an example? OMG, there's plenty of professionally made EDM recordings that have melodies. Or does nobody here actually listen to professionally made EDM recordings?

For the love of God, here's Daft Punk's "One More Time". It's an actual song with words and a melody. Can you imagine that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGBhQbmPwH8

Somebody do something like this. Anybody.

You mean a loop that is played over and over again? Or are you talking about what happens around 2 min mark. Sounds like a breakdown with the same melody provided by the repeated loop. You're also comparing music with vocals and with music that doesn't. So still not quite a clear example.
Doesn't anybody know how to write a lead line?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_instrument
The term lead instrument carries a variety of connotations. A lead instrument could be a reference to an instrument that plays the melody of a piece, an instrument that has been designed for this purpose, such as clarinet or violin, or a specific member of an orchestra that is featured as the most proficient musician of the group. In digital music composition, lead may refer to the tone quality that is applied to a signal.
So the arp riff in the track I posted doesn't do that, surely it does.

Or does nobody here actually listen to professionally made EDM recordings?
LOL...what kind of attitude is this? I've got your soundcloud on repeat...so I'm good now.

Know what? I'm not doing this. I know there are people here who know what I'm talking about. You want to insist that you're writing melodies, by all means, it's cool. Life is too short.

Not doing what? Telling the 90% here that they don't know how to write a lead or don't listen to the right music. Nah you already did that! I get a clear picture where you're coming from. Have a great day :).

mindstuff wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:20 pm Not doing what? Telling the 90% here that they don't know how to write a lead or don't listen to the right music. Nah you already did that! I get a clear picture where you're coming from. Have a great day :).
No, I didn't say that people here don't know how to write a lead line. I questioned IF they knew how to write a lead line because very few people do. This sub forum is littered with tracks of sequences and/or ambient drones.

Donkey Tugger writes songs and there are a few others. But most people here? No, it isn't what they do.

I'm not a big Deadmau5 fan but there's a video where he says "This is the cardinal sin of EDM right here."

Here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtj6dDARgfQ

And whatever I think of him as an artist, he's right. And for all the ragging you're doing on me, did you happen to notice how much I liked every other part of your production? You're arrangement is great. It moves. It's not static. It keeps the interest to a point. But there's no "song" here. It's a great backing track that could have been much more.

If you take exception to that and want me to "have a nice day", fine. I'll stop commenting on your tracks if that's what you want. I sure as hell don't need the grief.

Really enjoyed this. Reminds me of Bicep a little. Love the unstable pads, nice variations with the bass. Very good mix also. Oh and it's not a pop song :hihi: Good work!

P. S You have a new follower.
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

jethrobull wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:37 pm Really enjoyed this. Reminds me of Bicep a little. Love the unstable pads, nice variations with the bass. Very good mix also. Oh and it's not a pop song :hihi: Good work!

P. S You have a new follower.
Glue! :tu:

wagtunes wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:30 pm
mindstuff wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:20 pm Not doing what? Telling the 90% here that they don't know how to write a lead or don't listen to the right music. Nah you already did that! I get a clear picture where you're coming from. Have a great day :).
No, I didn't say that people here don't know how to write a lead line. I questioned IF they knew how to write a lead line because very few people do. This sub forum is littered with tracks of sequences and/or ambient drones.

Donkey Tugger writes songs and there are a few others. But most people here? No, it isn't what they do.

I'm not a big Deadmau5 fan but there's a video where he says "This is the cardinal sin of EDM right here."

Here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtj6dDARgfQ

And whatever I think of him as an artist, he's right. And for all the ragging you're doing on me, did you happen to notice how much I liked every other part of your production? You're arrangement is great. It moves. It's not static. It keeps the interest to a point. But there's no "song" here. It's a great backing track that could have been much more.

If you take exception to that and want me to "have a nice day", fine. I'll stop commenting on your tracks if that's what you want. I sure as hell don't need the grief.
Haha...yeah Deadmou5. I can appreciate his comment, but I'm not a kid with a laptop I assure you. I think what I sense from you, and I'm guessing, is you don't have a favorable opinion of EDM, which is fine. But what struck me more was the idea that EDM must have a "proper" melody, when it does not. You should give this great article a read, and have an open mind that music is not stuck in one box and should have a checklist of things that makes it correct. You can definitely not like it and your open to share those feelings. In the same vain I am free to request some examples/guidance/help if you point out something and not get a complaint about this community in general (or the music that others post here). I've only been here a month or so.
EDM represents a step away from melody as the central building block of music, and shifts the emphasis toward rhythm, harmony, and sonic textures.
https://www.keyboardmag.com/kb-blog/1219

And that's all well and good but remember, EDM was created not for somebody to sit down and listen to some 10 minute song that's essentially just a loop. It was created to get people out on the dance floor, which is why of all the things that make up an EDM track, if the kick doesn't rock, your track is dead. That's not from me but from AVB.

If you're going to post that kind of music here, where people can't get up and dance because they're not in a club setting or whatever, then you're expecting more than a good number of people are going to give you. If I'm going to sit down and listen to a lengthy track, I want to hear more than a beat and a sequence.

And, if you're going to post music for public consumption in general, you have to be prepared for all kinds of comments. I received countless criticisms for using Vocaloid for my vocals to the point where I finally started singing again because I was tired of people not being able to get past the vocals and listen to the song.

So if I have to deal with that then everybody else has to deal with it to.

And I don't hate all EDM. There is plenty of it that I do like that has melodies. I'm sorry if the example I posted wasn't good enough for you. I can find plenty more that would be but don't care enough to waste my time because ultimately you're answer is either going to be "That's still not good enough" or "Well, not all EDM has melodies" so I can't win no matter what I do. So I'm cutting my losses and moving on.

Please note how little feedback you get for your efforts around here. Now you can exclude me from that list as well as I obviously will never like anything you do from a pure musical standpoint and thus would be pointless to comment on.

Now you can exclude me from that list as well as I obviously will never like anything you do from a pure musical standpoint and thus would be pointless to comment on.
Truth be told!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCEMn1_DE3U

I actually think this is OK. Some good sound choices in there, some good arrangement, mixing was OK.
I take Wags point about a lead melody. I think it would add something extra to the song (some legato lead synth melody even just for a bridge or for a section of the song), even something a bit higher up in the octave range. You have plenty of good mid-range sound choices in there.

Return to “Music Cafe”