Which companies have user-friendly copy protection schemes ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So as I get more addicted to the plug-in bug, I find myself getting choosy about the Installer/copy protection types that different companies employ.
I'd like to know what companies other people like and support. here's some of my preferences, and I couldn't resist including some thoughts about the ones I'm not so keen on.

The Good

Hornet Plug-ins
Valhalla
Voxengo
Blue Cat

These I will support because of nice simple user-friendly copy protection schemes - you get to keep your serials or key files, the plug-ins are stored on your account, there are no artificial limits...bliss.

The Bad

Waves -of course! Everything wrong with these.
IK Multimedia - mostly what I dislike is the 10 times limit to activation. Why on earth ? Makes no sense at all. And the online shop with presets where you don't know if you've got all the right bits... really, no.

Good stuff:

u-he - serial
MeldaProduction - serial
Valhalla DSP - serial

The two first are my favourites, generally responsive and eager to fix bugs and improve their products (and what unique products many of them are! :love: ) .

Xfer, 2cAudio, tal, sonimus all use serial.
D16 are good, too. Keyfile similar to valhalla.

All these have good support and work very customer friendly.
They are top tier in sound quality.

Edit: Removed Parawave due to ongoing self-deactivation problems.
Last edited by dermage on Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oh no. The can of worms.

Some I remember now:
[Good]
ToneBooster (activation code)
112 (License file)
DDMF (license file)
Fathom (Just a key)
Illformed Glitch (Nothing)
HY (keyfile)
Klanghelm (download from your account)
PSP (downloadable license files)

[Bad]
accusonus (machine id calculated depending on network device)
acustica (imstalls a full catalogue)
IK Multimedia (as above)
softube(gobbler & iLok)

[Evil]
Magix (never seen such a mess before)

Radium.

H20.

Just kidding of course. Those days are gone now.

These days, we have so much softs we are drowning in it.

Native Instruments are kind of bad, depending, but FXpansion are pretty good, usually.

It's not so much about copy protection schemes these days - more about software managers when you have multiple forms of software from certain manufacturers.

I got BFD and Geist from FXpansion. And all the 'extras' that come with that. I'm surprised it works as good as it does.

NI is a nightmare. But sometimes it works. Sometimes they even reply to your emails to them.

Audio Damage just gave up on all that copyright shit. Funny really, as they were one of the few companies that I never saw being cracked, for whatever reason. I'm sure they had their reasons.

Copy protection is a bitch. It will always penalise the paying customer.

Just some companies penalise others more...

No one really cares if you payed for your softs buttercups! Suffer!

It won't ever change.

I'd be bitter too if I was a dev.

I'd want to make someone pay.

Even if it was paying customers who didn't steal my softs.

Looking at you ****** from ****.*** software!

There's probably a reason why these discussions get culled quite quickly at KVR.

I like iLok. Fast, consistent, no issues so far with 4 years use, peace of mind with licenses being separate from computer hardware (I've had issues with on-machine licenses causing lots of time to recover through the various companies), have a 2nd iLok for licenses with more than 1 activations as a backup from the main key. Saves on needing ZDT. It's the access to whole other range of great audio software that is the greatest benefit. :phones:

Kuassa and AudioThing also have painless license file systems. Glitchmachines don't have any activation pricess.

Nice, thanks folks, keep 'em coming, I think this is a useful list and saves hours digging in the small-print. I personally am going to buy exclusively from these companies from now on. Some I'd forgotten about and some I didn't know. Thinking in particular of the ghastly online shop stuff with Bias Amp FX and Amplitube, versus the painless Kuassa experience.

Voxengo comes to mind, of course. Many others already mentioned.

I love Voxengo, seem like no nonsense bread and butter stuff to me

Yes Oh God Yes I'm tired of plugin developers hiding their copy protection till its too late list away guys i'm taking notes here :)

What is to be considered friendly here? GuDa Audio uses serials.
David Guda gudaaudio.com

davidguda wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:36 pm What is to be considered friendly here? GuDa Audio uses serials.
I'm sure you're considered one of the good guys here. :wink:

CR and dongles and the like is what I suspect is considered not-so-friendly.

davidguda wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:36 pm What is to be considered friendly here?
The question of questions. It will differ from person to person. That's why such lists are so absolutely pointless.

Iny my opinion, D16's C/R system is very good.
Last edited by chk071 on Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”