Possibility of a U-He Drum Machine?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wasn't (isn't) the Korg Wavedrum modelling percussion ?

not done by uhe tho?

there's quite some otherwise, to varying degrees. AudioSpillage drumspillage, IL Drumaxx, AAS Chromaphone and very very sparse "tom resonance modelling" in BFD3.
From hardware there's also ATV Electrorganic aFrame.
(I'm somewhat a fan of Physical modelling synthesis)

This is the u-he mythical drum machine that springs up every now and then:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh7n1BBeeiU

despite my lukewarm response earlier up, I'm actually super excited for it, the snare sounds different than in other algos i've heard so far, and frankly even at this alpha point it sounds different and more special than some of the commercial products.

I'd even be happy by riding it beta for the next 2 or 3 years. :P

There have been multiple attempts (eg: Softube Heartbeat, FXPansion Temor, RB Punch) but none sounded really great, or are too convoluted, or have terrible UI (eg: Arturia Spark).

There are also specialized kick drum "synths" (eg: Kick 2, D16 Punchbox ) but... it's just the kick.

Another option is UVI Drum Designer, but for the most part it's really a sample stacker paired with an extensive sample and midi library. And it's not even a standalone instrument, it needs to run into UVI's Falcon (or the free player version).

In the end most people either fall back into classic 909/808/606/Linndrum sounds, modern stuff like Tempest/Elektron, or sample layering which seems to be the dominant trend right now.

The world desperately needs a good modern virtual analog drum machine. Just sayin...

None of what you listed is physical modelling, and u-he demo is not a VA drum machine, it's physically modelled drums.

So, unless u-he does a complete turn on it, this drum machine wont be it.

Ploki wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:23 am None of what you listed is physical modelling, and u-he demo is not a VA drum machine, it's physically modelled drums.

So, unless u-he does a complete turn on it, this drum machine wont be it.
As far as the video you posted, yeah, but I was actually replying to the OP.

Urs already answered this in a thread about Z3 I think.

Basically what he said was it was way too taxing but he isn‘t against the idea to plop the modules inside Zebra3.

pierb wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:46 pmThe world desperately needs a good modern virtual analog drum machine. Just sayin...
Why virtual analog? I've never found analog drums all that great in the first place...

pdxindy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:17 pm
pierb wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:46 pmThe world desperately needs a good modern virtual analog drum machine. Just sayin...
Why virtual analog? I've never found analog drums all that great in the first place...
I'm a fan of analog drums for what they are and think U-he would crush it if they wanted to make an x0x style plugin. I was always more interested in an x0x groovebox type drum machine than physically modeled "real drums" anyway. The latter just didn't seem practical: model drums, model cymbals, model the room the drums are played in, model microphones (and recording chain), etc. Samples are already close enough IMO, and the immediate future of "fake real drums" probably lies in some combination of samples and adding some physical modeling to those samples, versus trying to synthesize everything convincingly.

However, an x0x style box from U-he with things like FM and other audio rate modulations, insane filters, and all the crazy modulators would be amazing! But I seem to recall Urs making it clear recently that he doesn't see the appeal of such a product.

I just hope Zebra3 can be developed in such a way that building up drum kits of four or up to eight parts would be relatively easy. Thinking: allow users to chain a block of modules to make a kick, save as a preset, load that into a larger preset and combine that with a snare lane, add some tom lanes, route everything to different channels, save as another preset. Allow for easy swapping of lanes later on, etc.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:03 pm
I'm a fan of analog drums for what they are and think U-he would crush it if they wanted to make an x0x style plugin. I was always more interested in an x0x groovebox type drum machine than physically modeled "real drums" anyway. The latter just didn't seem practical: model drums, model cymbals, model the room the drums are played in, model microphones (and recording chain), etc. Samples are already close enough IMO, and the immediate future of "fake real drums" probably lies in some combination of samples and adding some physical modeling to those samples, versus trying to synthesize everything convincingly.
There is no need to model rooms, mics etc... just make good sounding drums with a natural organic quality...

Anyway, we have different interests... I find the x0x style done to death and boring.

pdxindy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:22 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:03 pm
There is no need to model rooms, mics etc... just make good sounding drums with a natural organic quality...

Anyway, we have different interests... I find the x0x style done to death and boring.
Acoustic drums need to exist in some kind of acoustic space (i.e. a room). The room is a big part of how your drums will sound as the kit and the tuning. More so than other acoustic instruments due to the volume of drums and where we're used to hearing them. I don't think you can completely synthesize convincing virtual drums unless they're in some kind of "virtual space." And for recording applications, I'd imagine you'd want said drums to sound like recorded drums, which means microphones.

And let me just state: I'm certainly no expert on the subject. I have a kit setup in my basement but I'm no drummer by any means (worse at drums than keyboards even). So I'm just speculating about how that might work. Only Sascha/U-he folks would know more about how that project was meant to shape out in the end and how things like rooms/mics would play into the product. I could be totally off base. Wouldn't be the first time.

I find the x0x style to be pretty well-tread ground too, like virtual analogs and wavetable synths...like those other products though, I just think U-he could do it better than everyone else. So more about improving rather than innovating.

I'm of the same sentiment; U-he would make something good here. I look forward to any developments in this area.

vertibration wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:33 am I dont know if this has been posted, or requested by others, or shot down already, but I thought to ask considering some of the interesting developments with Hive 2, in regards to the modulators.

I for one would like to see a 16 pad drum machine, MPC style sequencing, but instead of being sample based, every pad has a separate synthesis voice, whether analog, fm, wavetable so on..... Each being able to modulate another or not, all running through its own built in sequencer. Effects per pad, sick UI, yada yada....
Not a bad idea.
Why not a 32 pad drum machine?
After all, its just software.

pdxindy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:22 pm Anyway, we have different interests... I find the x0x style done to death and boring.
That's precisely my point. We need a new modern (and virtual) drum machine.

I'm not saying U-He should replicate 909/808 sounds like D16 did, but create a entirely new thing not based on samples.

pierb wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:50 pm
pdxindy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:22 pm Anyway, we have different interests... I find the x0x style done to death and boring.
That's precisely my point. We need a new modern (and virtual) drum machine.

I'm not saying U-He should replicate 909/808 sounds like D16 did, but create a entirely new thing not based on samples.
You had said virtual analog... I'd rather have a mix of physical modeling, FM and wavetable or additive than virtual analog.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:42 pmAcoustic drums need to exist in some kind of acoustic space (i.e. a room). The room is a big part of how your drums will sound as the kit and the tuning. More so than other acoustic instruments due to the volume of drums and where we're used to hearing them. I don't think you can completely synthesize convincing virtual drums unless they're in some kind of "virtual space." And for recording applications, I'd imagine you'd want said drums to sound like recorded drums, which means microphones.
Chromaphone for example does some nice percussive modeling... it doesn't need rooms and mics and so on. Physical modeling doesn't mean one has to aim to make it indistinguishable from recorded samples of specific instruments.

Return to “u-he”