Bass guitar plugin suitable for reggae?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Getting a completely convincing e. bass is a relatively easy matter for basic use cases. If you don't play bass, and you need bass, you're supposed to find buying a bass preferable? I've played bass, I wouldn't prefer it at all.

Orange Tree Samples Cherry Bass is scripted really well so you wouldn't even deal with more than note-ons, if you have no experience. Scarbee has a pretty good slide characteristic but there are rules to be cognizant of for instance.

Tj Shredder wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:57 am Steinbergs ancient VB-1 is a virtual Bass which is more flexible than any sample based vst can be. Just add some amp and fx from your DAW and off you go...
And its free... https://www.kvraudio.com/product/vb-1-by-steinberg
maybe youd get away with it in a big mix where the bass isn't so prominent.
if the bass is playing a more central role, you should know, as a bass player yourself that theres a actually a lot of character.

it depends really on what is meant by "bass guitar"? something in the back supporting the drums or something more prominent a la jah wobble type dub reggae? try and drop vb1 there, aint gonna fly! ya dig?

so trolled

VB-1 :cry:

:)

Take the time to check out the virtual instruments from www.amplesound.net We have a download section with trial version (full version but limited to 7 days of use) and also a FREE version of Ample Bass Precision LITE

:tu:

use ANYTHING.
'reggae bass' is generally so low passed (and high passed on occasion) that there's generally no top end anyway. I've literally used every synth to do it. More important is the quality of your low-pass filter, and your saturation/amp emulation...

that's it

or you could go the Sleng Teng and get a Casio MT-40 :P

even if you use a bonzer multisampled Fender P-bass, you still need to low-pass the shit out of it with a really good resonant filter.

i would recommend the Chop Shop filter plugin before i'd recommend any particular bass plugin. cereal

sqigls wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:27 pm use ANYTHING.
'reggae bass' is generally so low passed (and high passed on occasion) that there's generally no top end anyway. I've literally used every synth to do it. More important is the quality of your low-pass filter, and your saturation/amp emulation...

that's it

even if you use a bonzer multisampled Fender P-bass, you still need to low-pass the shit out of it with a really good resonant filter.

i would recommend the Chop Shop filter plugin before i'd recommend any particular bass plugin. cereal
Thanks. Do you have links to your reggae tracks?

Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Jwpar22 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:13 am

that's it

some of my personal stuff can be found at my soundcloud page, link below.
I swear by using good filters.
such as Cytomic's 'The Drop' plugin. You can tailor your own resonant bumps, via low and high pass filters, and get some FEEERT sounds. To a large extent, it's irrelevant what bass you use.
and as i mentioned before, Louder Than Liftoff Chop Shop is really good for this job too.
but you need a real solid DOPE AS f**k filter to get good results, or else you'll be forever searching for it. Solid saturation and filters... goes a looooong way with a dub bass ;) also, just using a decent synth plugin with 2 oscillators, and using them an octave apart, experiment with the balance between them, before you extrude them through a filter or two :D

P.S.... by "solid" i mean "doesn't fall apart when you push a bass through it. too many filters and saturation/drive emulations (and even the real hardware devices) lose a lot of low end when pushed too hard. they fart and kinda break apart... go fizzy or just hollow.
you want a good round, solid, generally dense, but at least tight resonant bump. Even if it's distorting.
The other thing, i find i'm often using a good high pass filter as much as i'm using a low pass... you don't wanna lose your fundamental note (generally), but you can enhance the f**k out of it with a "voice of god"-esque filter. often more effectively than a low pass... depending on what suits the track of course.

you can also use a few different compressors and/or limiters in series, just a dB or two each, and because the effect is multiplicative, it's possible to get a fat solid saturated bass that doesn't suffer from unwanted dynamics issues.

i find though, that if I use some tasteful saturation along with bass-friendly filters, i don't really NEED any dynamics processing.
That said, the Audified Bass Plugin is flippin dope!
one stop shop pretty much. but it's a bit of a CPU hog :(

sqigls wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:05 am
Jwpar22 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:13 am

that's it

some of my personal stuff can be found at my soundcloud page, link below.
I swear by using good filters.
such as Cytomic's 'The Drop' plugin. You can tailor your own resonant bumps, via low and high pass filters, and get some FEEERT sounds. To a large extent, it's irrelevant what bass you use.
and as i mentioned before, Louder Than Liftoff Chop Shop is really good for this job too.
but you need a real solid DOPE AS f**k filter to get good results, or else you'll be forever searching for it. Solid saturation and filters... goes a looooong way with a dub bass ;) also, just using a decent synth plugin with 2 oscillators, and using them an octave apart, experiment with the balance between them, before you extrude them through a filter or two :D
Where is the link to your SoundCloud?

that's it

Welllll....like many genres the Reggie is a broad church - from roots, through lovers rock, through to the more synthetic dub variants. From what you're describing I'm assuming you're more into the dub side of things. For more 'traditional' types of styles, the type of bass is definitely important. I'm sure Mr Robbie Shakespeare would concur...

sqigls wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:21 pm http://soundcloud.com/onesnzeros
Really good work!

What delay did you use in outer space dub to alter the pitch of the delay up and down?

Do you make dub techno?

dark water wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:09 pm Orange Tree Samples Evolution Flatwounds.
This is becoming my go-to bass sound, and would be my first choice for Reggae (or a synth bass sound). They did a nice job with this one.

I used Evolution Flatwound on these two tunes:

https://soundcloud.com/datroof/sets/it-takes-a-thief

And this one:

https://soundcloud.com/datroof/person-to-person

donkey tugger wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:46 pm

that's it

Welllll....like many genres the Reggie is a broad church - from roots, through lovers rock, through to the more synthetic dub variants. From what you're describing I'm assuming you're more into the dub side of things. For more 'traditional' types of styles, the type of bass is definitely important. I'm sure Mr Robbie Shakespeare would concur...
Actually i'm into all types of reggae. I also played bass in a band for many years.
Robbie could play ANY bass and make it fit, cos he's an amazing player for a start, but he also knows how to process the bass to suit.
Type of bass doesn't really matter. Not as much as the playing and the processing.
Last edited by sqigls on Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”