Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

Thanks! (it looked like there was a per-patch wavetable, so I assumed you could import them in the gui. does surge embed wavetables into the patch?)

chroma wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:36 pm Thanks! (it looked like there was a per-patch wavetable, so I assumed you could import them in the gui. does surge embed wavetables into the patch?)
Yes they are stored in the patch. If you drag n drop a wt it loads so when you save the patch it streams. If you load from file it does the same.

I suppose we could add an “open wt” option to the wavetable menu that lets you pick a file from anywhere. If that would be useful to you please raise an issue in the GitHub and we can at least remember it as an idea.

Thanks!

Am I missing something or is velocity hardwired to the output level in some way? There is nothing assigned to the “velocity” mod source, and the velocity slider next to the amp envelope (which would usually let you adjust how sensitive the overall level of the amp envelope is to velocity) is lowered to zero, but still the thing is incredibly sensitive to velocity. Hopefully this is just user error or there’s a switch somewhere where I can change this.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

So is velocity hardwired to the volume or am I doing something wrong? Anyone?

I think the velocity slider is counter intuitive in that it is upside down for most users. See this: https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge/issues/389
Last edited by SaganTech on Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

First - there is the Vel slider on the Amp envelope. On the top position (0 db) there is no sensitivity, bottom pos is full sensitivity.

Second - you can assign the Vel-Source to any slider.

Cool. It just works backwards. My bad. Just user error. Thanks!

Surge does not leave much to be desired. I especially appreciate the oscillator shaping options. And the mixer and mixer output to drive the filter. Also it's precision and general quality.

Maybe a bit more flexibility in the ADSR curves. There's now just 2 choices: "digital" (linear) and "analog" (log/exp). Would be nice to have more flexibility in the curve shapes. Seems trivial, but can be a bit of a nuissance when "emulating" some other synth/sound or whentrying to get a amp and/or filter modulation to behave as "in-the-head".

I guess I should have a look on Github, where, no doubt, there is room for feedback and ideas.
https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/
https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge

I really hope Surge will grow into an even better synth, supported and developed by an enthousiastic, knowledgeable and tech-able can-do community.

Being free and so good and versatile, it will hopefully also draw more people into the wonderfull world of synthesizers, sound design and electronic music.

Hi there. I'm using surge almost exclusively In MPE mode. It doesn't appear to save this setting in bitwig however. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is this a bug in bitwig? Ideally it would save the MPE on or off with the patch , but If I can set it to always be MPE:on (like in a config file or something) I'd be happy too. It's a bummer that I have to reset this every time I reopen a project. I'm still using bitwig 1 and I'm using the VST2 version. Thanks. I'll check it in Cubase to see If I get the same behavior.

Kwurqx wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:45 pm Maybe a bit more flexibility in the ADSR curves. There's now just 2 choices: "digital" (linear) and "analog" (log/exp).
In digital mode you can set curve shape with transparent yellow rectangles. It's only three options per curve, though.

dtrq wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:38 am
Kwurqx wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:45 pm Maybe a bit more flexibility in the ADSR curves. There's now just 2 choices: "digital" (linear) and "analog" (log/exp).
In digital mode you can set curve shape with transparent yellow rectangles. It's only three options per curve, though.
Yeah, my bad. I just noticed earlier today when browsing some presets.....

Apart from linear there's curves above and below linear for the Attack. And linear or curves below linear for Decay and Release.

Even less left to be desired....

Maybe I'm missing something (again). But...

In Surge's FM2 and FM3 oscillators, there's currently no option to detune the operators. No finetune and/or semitones. Only octaves.

FM (mostly Phase Modulation) is inherently very sensitive to any detuning and/or phase change. So the oscillators are usually phase synced and stable. This is why the concept is usually implemented in digital synths.

FM is often blamed for it's very clean sound. But subtle detuning of operator within a stack (carrier and 1 or more modulators) will result in timbre changes at detuning rate. Detuning at semitones intervals would be nice too.

In the separate FM section there is the option to detune operators (since they are the independent oscillators 1, 2 and 3).

codec_spurt wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:41 am
esaruoho wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:52 pm
codec_spurt wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:05 am I've done a sort of euro-techno one synth demo with it in Ableton, including drum sounds. All from other's presets of course. It's hardly the Pet Shop Boys, but I don't mind putting the live pack up for download. It sounds great considering there are absolutely no FX at all.
Might you have a SoundCloud link for this? Would be interesting to hear.
https://soundcloud.com/codex_pert/surge-mix

That bad uh?

There's probably a reason why no one wants to give me money for my music!

Can't even give the shit away!

:lol:

Don't call us, we'll call you...

Thanks for keeping working on this. Much appreciated. I'll get around to testing the new versions you've put up in a little bit.

I love the raw sound of this synth, and the fact that it uses hardly any CPU. It took me a while to work out the modulation stuff, but when I did I can see it's pretty powerful. I've probaby forgotten it again now.

Kudos.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:06 pm Hi there. I'm using surge almost exclusively In MPE mode. It doesn't appear to save this setting in bitwig however. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is this a bug in bitwig? Ideally it would save the MPE on or off with the patch , but If I can set it to always be MPE:on (like in a config file or something) I'd be happy too. It's a bummer that I have to reset this every time I reopen a project. I'm still using bitwig 1 and I'm using the VST2 version. Thanks. I'll check it in Cubase to see If I get the same behavior.
MPE Mode is off by default and activates in one of two ways

1: You do the menu MPE Enable or
2: Your keyboard sends an appropriate MIDI sequence which indicates MPE setup and Surge toggles.

AFAIK the midi sequence thing works with anyone implementing the MPE standard; and also with a Roli Seaboard 49 (which didn’t seem to send the documented standard but did send some other stuff, and I put that in the code).

We could pretty easily make it so MPE is toggle on by default for all surges. If you want that please open up a github issue. But also in that same issue if you share your device showing the first splat of midi it sends would be great; perhaps we could expand the idiosyncractic message handling to make it work? Perhaps?

(Full disclosure: The reason I started working in Surge was to make the MPE mode work in mac AU for the Roli; so pretty happy to add features for other MPE devices and patches. But github better than KVR to discuss such things).

Kwurqx wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:01 pm Maybe I'm missing something (again). But...

In Surge's FM2 and FM3 oscillators, there's currently no option to detune the operators. No finetune and/or semitones. Only octaves.

FM (mostly Phase Modulation) is inherently very sensitive to any detuning and/or phase change. So the oscillators are usually phase synced and stable. This is why the concept is usually implemented in digital synths.

FM is often blamed for it's very clean sound. But subtle detuning of operator within a stack (carrier and 1 or more modulators) will result in timbre changes at detuning rate. Detuning at semitones intervals would be nice too.

In the separate FM section there is the option to detune operators (since they are the independent oscillators 1, 2 and 3).
I thought the difference between FM2 and FM3 was that FM2 required an integer multiple for M and FM3 allows a float multiple; so with FM2 you can’t accidentally mis-tune the modulation frequency but with FM3 you can (by dragging M1 using shift-drag for fine adjustment or shift-scroll-wheel for fine adjustment).

I’m on my iPad not at surge now so may be backwards between FM2 and FM3. Also if this isn’t what you mean please either reply here or (better) open a github issue with details.

You are correct of course in the FM routing section you can detune between the oscillators, but I think in the FM3 oscillator you can detune internally also.

Return to “Instruments”