One Synth Challenge #122: Surge (schiing wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Starting to squeak some sort of guitar out of Surge's combs. They're proving to be a little finicky.
https://soundcloud.com/the-never-scene/ ... -4/s-IDhnZ
Last edited by TheNeverScene on Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

That is some heavy stuff! I like the build up with that mid-range wide saw.

functionform wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:49 am That is some heavy stuff! I like the build up with that mid-range wide saw.
Thanks, Double F! I plan on shaving it down some, but it's hard giving parts the old axe at times...you know how it goes.

Just a little clarification, are we supposed to avoid the use of the wavetable and window oscillators that are more than a couple cycles in length?

I just now realized that I have a couple tracks that used waves containing multiple cycles.

Luckily they aren't important tracks and the parameters available for the classic waves are so good, I can easily replace them.

mclstr wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:23 am Just a little clarification, are we supposed to avoid the use of the wavetable and window oscillators that are more than a couple cycles in length?

I just now realized that I have a couple tracks that used waves containing multiple cycles.

Luckily they aren't important tracks and the parameters available for the classic waves are so good, I can easily replace them.
If you're not using the wavetables linearly like samples there shouldn't be any issue!

To be honest, there are some 'sampled' wavetables in the Sampled folder... But if you play them linearly they sound like wavetables to me and not usable samples (they may've originated from samples... but they sound quite resynthesized). They're not high fidelity as such, you would have to still do a lot of work in a patch to make them sound good - that's my take on it at least.

To be sure, you can avoid the Rhythmic and Sampled wavetables. There are a couple of voice samples in the Waldorf folder, but you don't have to use them linearly as voice samples. The wavetabels in the Generated folder are completely fine to use! A lot of them seem to be morphs between a couple of cycles anyway.

People will probably state in their submission whether they used the wavetables or not, for the people interested in that. But I wouldn't be against using the factory wavetables (this is bjporter's call though!).

So far I've mostly been using the FM, comb and waveshaper! Playing wavetables in a linear fashion like a sample doesn't interest me, but I do experiment with wavetables for interesting waves and textures to use!

I'm gonna post mine early again this month.

Title: Rockn Out With Surge - OSC 122

All sounds and effects provided by 25 instances of Surge Synthesizer: https://surge-synthesizer.github.io
DAW = Bitwig on Linux for sequencing and mixing(no eq). The only processing outside of the built in Surge effects was one Bitwig read ahead peak limiter on the mix buss.

All eq, delay, reverb, dynamics, saturation, doppler, chorus, phase shift, ... provided by Surge. I even used two instances of Surge as dedicated stereo group submix buss limiters.
All presets were created by me from scratch, except for a few that were modified factory presets.

https://soundcloud.com/user-851734095/r ... ge-osc-122

... oh and Surge is an awesome and powerful synth.

mclstr wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:47 pm ... oh and Surge is an awesome and powerful synth.
Indeed it is! Just a random thought, but I've been hearing some 2Step influences in you're tracks lately (though I'm usually wrong in these matters)...would love to hear you do some sort of twangy JCash/HWilliamsSr osc track at some point!

TheNeverScene wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:04 am ...would love to hear you do some sort of twangy JCash/HWilliamsSr osc track at some point!
A couple years ago I did a piece that had an old style country section in it. Kind of Roy Rogers style, The piece was actually a mix of styles, mostly Latin and African, with one two step section for contrast.

--- Submission ---
https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/prev ... e-upon-you
🚮Certified Quality: Contains a tiny pinch of Wob - 100% pop song structure free. 🚮

Horrific Production Details:
🕳️ Surgeons 30
🕳️ Bitwig - Compressor, Tool, EQ, Blur, Delay, Limiter, Mid/Side,Container, Multiband-Container
🕳️ Melda - MSaturator, MConvolutionEZ
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nvm :phones:
Last edited by Eauson on Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

I realized that I didn't make my entry downloadable. I've gone back and fixed that now. ;w;
It's very tasty, I swear!

I have updated my entry. Changed some things that I didn't like.

... and here is after a long time my submission. SURGE is a phantastic synth! chapeau! :tu: :tu: :tu:

DAW: StudioOne 3
26 Instances of SURGE
Host plug-ins: ChannelEQs, Compressors, AnalogDelay, MultibandCompressor, MixVerb, OpenAir
Other free 3rd-party plug-ins:
MStereoExpander, MTremolo (as Gating on Reverb), Limited-Z

https://soundcloud.com/marks-a-whybikky/osc-122surge

Hope you enjoy :phones:

marks-a-whybikky wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:09 am ... and here is after a long time my submission. SURGE is a phantastic synth! chapeau! :tu: :tu: :tu: DAW: S1_3, 26 Instances of SURGE. Hope you enjoy :phones:
That's what osc should be. Honest and clearly separated sounds intelligently put together. That's showing what sounds Surge is capable of producing.

Return to “Instruments”