RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pro-Q 3

Thanks Walter & Mogwai, will take under advisement
A well-behaved signature.

*double*
A well-behaved signature.

plexuss wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:09 am
MogwaiBoy wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:45 am So can you like...

- 60hz low shelf on Pro-Q 3 (VST2) Instrument A
- 60hz low shelf on Pro-Q 3 (VST2) Instrument B
- When the low shelf on Instrument A is triggered (ie: signal goes over threshold), it moves/ducks the low shelf on Instrument B

?
The way you'd do this is:

- Set up both shelves the same on each instance
- Run Inst A into side-chain of instance on Inst B
- Run side-chain into shelf - it should operate the same as on Inst A

Right? :phones:
I don't think this is correct. While the plugin does use a bandlimited signal to adjust the gain when using the main input to control dynamics, that's not the case using the sidechain, where the unprocessed full-spectrum signal is used. Kind of annoying, since it seems like the main use case for a dynamic EQ sidechain is ducking the interfering frequencies only when the two signals overlap. The collision indicators are handy, though.

Yeah I think it would be cool to effectively link 2 bands, inside the same plugin instance or between instances - so one band can detect/respond to the other - in a very simple manner without complex routing.

pekbro wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:23 pm $40 upgrade (for me), a no brainer. $90, meh, I didn’t really need it at release. :tu:
just did the same. finally :D

I'm tempted with getting the Essentials bundle but already have Neutron 2, Ozone 8, and sonible's Smart EQ2 and was wondering whether there's much point in getting this in addition in terms of quality and extra features.

audio/fault wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:14 am
pekbro wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:23 pm $40 upgrade (for me), a no brainer. $90, meh, I didn’t really need it at release. :tu:
just did the same. finally :D
Me too I guess

shonky wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:26 pm I'm tempted with getting the Essentials bundle but already have Neutron 2, Ozone 8, and sonible's Smart EQ2 and was wondering whether there's much point in getting this in addition in terms of quality and extra features.
Not really. However I had O8N2 and ended up selling it away because of over-lap with other products, including Q2/3 because I felt, for me, they were better. Although the opposite of what you were asking, you could consider getting more into FF as a way to justify moving on from iZotope. :phones:

Thanks for the honest reply, trying to reduce duplication keeps the GAS at bay. Got the MPS2 so can't really sell each bit individually anyway.

May still go for the reverb although certainly have a few of those too.

shonky wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:19 pm Thanks for the honest reply, trying to reduce duplication keeps the GAS at bay. Got the MPS2 so can't really sell each bit individually anyway.

May still go for the reverb although certainly have a few of those too.
I think if you are going to stick with O2N2 then you can avoid FF duplication, even though GAS is high. There is only one reason I can think of to justify also getting FF products and that is "the luxury" of having them.

But, Pro-R is very nice and worth grabbing. Also if you have a need for a gate, DS might be worth considering. I can't speak to their de-esser - I use Elosis for that. Also the FF creative tools are very nice (Saturn, Timeless, etc). :phones:

Timeless I already have, will check Saturn and see if I can't turn my frugality into bankruptcy in one fell swoop ;)

cthonophonic wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:11 pm
plexuss wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:09 am
MogwaiBoy wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:45 am So can you like...

- 60hz low shelf on Pro-Q 3 (VST2) Instrument A
- 60hz low shelf on Pro-Q 3 (VST2) Instrument B
- When the low shelf on Instrument A is triggered (ie: signal goes over threshold), it moves/ducks the low shelf on Instrument B

?
The way you'd do this is:

- Set up both shelves the same on each instance
- Run Inst A into side-chain of instance on Inst B
- Run side-chain into shelf - it should operate the same as on Inst A

Right? :phones:
I don't think this is correct. While the plugin does use a bandlimited signal to adjust the gain when using the main input to control dynamics, that's not the case using the sidechain, where the unprocessed full-spectrum signal is used. Kind of annoying, since it seems like the main use case for a dynamic EQ sidechain is ducking the interfering frequencies only when the two signals overlap. The collision indicators are handy, though.
Is that accurate? The side chain input is full-spectrum on Q-3? When I tested it, they didn't have side-chain. I would have thought the sidechain would be the the same filtered input as the filter is set to.

As I remember, yes. They added side-chain later and it is present now, and I remember the manual saying that it is full-spectrum.

Get the Essentials bundle. At least :clap:

Looking possibly to upgrade my Pro-Q2 to Pro-Q3 with their current discount going on right now. Before doing so, I'm tossing out the question: Has the collision visualization improved your mixes?

I am currently demoing Q3, and this feature is awesome. I also love how each instance of Q3 can be named as to avoid confusion between multiple instances. I wish the red glow could be changed however, as it's kind of hard to see.

And of course, the collision "avoidance" tactic is purely to taste, but the old school method was to "carve out" areas where overlap would occur, e.g. kick fundamental overlaps a bassline frequency, two pad layers with collisions, etc. But is the tactic and goal to do enough notching until the red glow disappears, or at least is lessened to the point of barely glowing?

Return to “Effects”