The Pleasure of Knowing You | Britpop?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

New song that's pretty much done (I think, you might disagree). Once again, I got lots of useful input on the IL forums that I'm very grateful for. Some sort of 90s-ish alternative thing I think.

https://soundcloud.com/steevm/the-pleas ... nowing-you

If you can figure out what the lyrics are about, let me know, as I have no idea :D

Verse
E A C#m F#

Chorus
E C#m A x2
E A C#m F#
A C#m A
You walk out the door, you’ve done this before
You hold your head high
I might be mistaken, but you are forsaken
And I don’t know why

You’ve got your stories to tell
Of all the glories in hell
You’re standing up for the damned
I’m not ignoring your fate
You’re just boring me mate
We’re about to crash land

She said it’s gonna be fine
She said I’m walking the line
Cos all I ever wanted was the pleasure
Of knowing you were mine

I spot a motion, out by the ocean
A big commotion
I had a notion that my love potion
Was turning the tide

I said I’m gonna be true
I said I know what to do
Cos all I ever got from this endeavour
Was spending time with you

I pick up the cues and I can’t refuse
You’re such a recluse
I pick up the pieces of your master’s thesis
But nobody reads it

You walk out the door, you’ve done this before
You hold your head high
I might be mistaken, but you are forsaken
And I don’t know why

She said it’s gonna be fine
She said I’m walking the line
Cos all I ever wanted was the pleasure
Of knowing you were mine

I said I’m gonna be true
I said I know what to do
Cos all I ever got from this endeavour
Was spending time with you

My Feedback

Music - 9
Instruments - 9.5
Performance - 10
Mix - 9.5

Overall - 9.5

Comments: Holy crap! A real song!!! Catch me before I faint. Sorry, been getting inundated with atmospheric ramblings and it's getting to me. Anyway, sounds like somebody but can't think of they're name right now. The curse of getting old. Very well done. If I think of who this nails (It's almost dead on) I'll come back and let you know. One song in particular.

wagtunes wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:27 pm Anyway, sounds like somebody but can't think of they're name right now.
Little bit of Blur, bits like Nirvana, drums a bit like the Stone Temple Pilots, but not directly any of them for me. I always reckon the good songs always remind you a bit of something else.

catchy, enjoyable tune!
no outstanding production issues on my phones.
just a good, solid, real song. :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

cool!
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Very good. Thanks for posting the lyrics too. Lyric-writing is what I find most challenging at the moment. Like the vibe change @2:19 :tu:

Bansaw wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:52 pmThanks for posting the lyrics too. Lyric-writing is what I find most challenging at the moment
Was also handy to check that he didn't actually sing, "I pick up the pieces of your master’s faeces" :o :lol:

Very enjoyable listen. Thanks :tu:

pop-tastic ...
well played , well produced ...

as donks and wags observe , reminds me of a number of things ,
which are unnervingly eluding me a.t.m.

I liked the song! The musics good and the lyrics are quite interesting and understandable in the mix. It’s probably a little heady for main stream but works well as alternative pop.

Excellent song! The vocals are great throughout.

The song holds up well to repeated listens. It's lean and mean at 3:11 with no dull moments.

Random observations:

* The drums are a bit soft sounding. They could be harder hitting and more energetic.
* The chord riffing sounds familiar. Sort of like Smells Like Teen Spirit?
* I thought "love potion" was a bit cheesy. If you don't limit yourself to perfect rhymes, you have a lot more options for lyrics.

Frantz wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:30 am

Random observations:

* The drums are a bit soft sounding. They could be harder hitting and more energetic.
* The chord riffing sounds familiar. Sort of like Smells Like Teen Spirit?
:lol: I said exactly the same on the IL forum.. I think I'll retire my 'Frantz' account now. :hihi:

Altough the drums are ok for me now..would take mebbe just a leetle bit more 'thwack' in the choruses, but not so as to veer it into 'ard rokk...

Lots of feedback I see. I'm at work pretending to be busy, so not sure I can respond to everyone right now... If not, I'll get back to you later.
wagtunes wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:27 pm Comments: Holy crap! A real song!!! Catch me before I faint. Sorry, been getting inundated with atmospheric ramblings and it's getting to me.
Yeah, I'm boring like that. Hashtag RealMusic n all that.
wagtunes wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:27 pm Anyway, sounds like somebody but can't think of they're name right now. The curse of getting old. Very well done. If I think of who this nails (It's almost dead on) I'll come back and let you know. One song in particular.
You figured it out yet? Because overall I think that it's a bit of a blend of things....
donkey tugger wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:35 pm Little bit of Blur, bits like Nirvana, drums a bit like the Stone Temple Pilots, but not directly any of them for me. I always reckon the good songs always remind you a bit of something else.
Seems to be a recurring theme in fact:
Frantz wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:30 am The chord riffing sounds familiar. Sort of like Smells Like Teen Spirit?
To my ears, there's definitely some Blur and Nirvana in there.

As DT says, creating something that sound instantly familiar is normally a good way of being relatable and establishing a connection with the listener. As long as it's not a direct rip off that is. I'd like to think that the funky guitar in the chorus takes the whole thing quite a way away from sounding like Nirvana - it's a lot more upbeat after all - and yet the familiarity is still there.

layzer wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:09 am catchy, enjoyable tune!
no outstanding production issues on my phones.
just a good, solid, real song. :tu:
ATS wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:02 amcool!
Bansaw wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:52 pmVery good. Thanks for posting the lyrics too. Lyric-writing is what I find most challenging at the moment
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:08 pm Very enjoyable listen. Thanks :tu:
Thanks for the positive vibes guys!

On the subject of lyrics: I find them a bit of a bitch a lot of the time, simply because it's very easy to write trite/crap lyrics, and very difficult to come up with an idea for something that I actually like. There's a whole bunch of songs sitting on my hard disk waiting for me to come up with some sort of inspiration for lyrics.

Sometimes it's easy - there are times when you get inspired when simply jamming and coming up with the initial idea. Then I don't struggle. But when I have no idea what the song is about, that's when I get stuck.

One thing I've taken to doing is playing tracks to my wife, and asking her what it makes her think of. That sometimes provides the genesis of an idea that I can then run with.

This was a bit of an in-between case. I didn't know what the song is about (still don't), but didn't think it really mattered that much. A lot of indie stuff has pretty obscure/daft/meaningless lyrics that really just shoot for "not banal" - and if that's the case, it's job done. So instead of trying to cobble together a coherent whole, I just ended up messing around with rhyming schemes and having a bit of fun in that regard.
Frantz wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:30 am I thought "love potion" was a bit cheesy. If you don't limit yourself to perfect rhymes, you have a lot more options for lyrics.
Which is why this doesn't actually bother me. There's a huge number of other options too that actually rhyme, like devotion, that would probably work too. But I settled on love potion because - well, why not?

Plus, being cheesy should theoretically extend the song's appeal to an even bigger target audience than "old rockers on KVR".
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:08 pm Was also handy to check that he didn't actually sing, "I pick up the pieces of your master’s faeces" :o :lol:
Rewrite now imminent...

That's a fine piece of pop songwriting. I liked the lyrics, and the rhymes worked for me. You managed to sneak "endeavour" in there seamlessly.

Good work :)

Reminds me of Britpop version of early Weezer. I think that's a good thing! The vocals sound great. What mic are you using?

Thanks for sharing!

Return to “Music Cafe”