EMU 1212m/1616m on Windows 7 - The Thread to End All Other EMU Threads!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

gubi24 wrote: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:57 pm Hi,

I'm new to the forum, greetings to everyone, great thread on EMU cards. :)

My setup:
-Emu 1616m PCIe
-The card was 1616m PCI in the beginning, but I purchased the 1010 PCIe card separately
-Windows 7 Pro 64bit
-i7 System, 16GB RAM

Everything seems to be working fine, except for SLEEP MODE. When i put the PC into Sleep and wake it up, there is no sound, the LEDs on the Microdock are random, and it does not initialize. After a complete system restart everything is fine again.

Does anyone else experience this kind of problem?

Thanks
Hi,
The same here, I never had such problems with Microdock + 1010 PCI card. Recently I bought 1010 PCIe and everything works fine except Microdock after wake up from sleep mode. Tested on the same machine, I got both, PCI and PCIe slots, but preparing to migrate on new machine with no PCI slots.

For DAWs, you should turn off all power-saving features, which would basically solve this problem. I'm running an 1820m PCIe, and I had the 0404 PCIe before it. Both have run fine on Windows 7 (x64), but I've also disabled all power-saving features, since they tend to trip up the connection of real-time, "always on" things like audio interfaces.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

dahleylama wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:50 pm Having issues on an asrock extreme 4 motherboard with i5 quad core with PCI version of 1212m. I don't recall having major issues before, but last week I have been getting horrible pops and cracks when starting to stream or mouse scrolling. I think it might be an IRQ conflict with video card? Changing PCIe slots of video card is not an option. I tried swapping main and daughter cards. Didn't change anything. Playback with MOBO sound card or hdmi out is fine. Problem seems to be mainly with WDM playback, but could be with ASIO playback too. I haven't really used it with ASIO much lately.

Any other ideas? and or how to change IRQ settings without breaking my computer (window 7 64bit).
I have the same problem with 1212m PCI too. Records are unaffected but the output :(
I have tried many ways but no luck :help:

RiP2 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:32 pm
dahleylama wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:50 pm Having issues on an asrock extreme 4 motherboard with i5 quad core with PCI version of 1212m. I don't recall having major issues before, but last week I have been getting horrible pops and cracks when starting to stream or mouse scrolling. I think it might be an IRQ conflict with video card? Changing PCIe slots of video card is not an option. I tried swapping main and daughter cards. Didn't change anything. Playback with MOBO sound card or hdmi out is fine. Problem seems to be mainly with WDM playback, but could be with ASIO playback too. I haven't really used it with ASIO much lately.

Any other ideas? and or how to change IRQ settings without breaking my computer (window 7 64bit).
I have the same problem with 1212m PCI too. Records are unaffected but the output :(
I have tried many ways but no luck :help:
Sorry, Win7 and 1212M PCI here with no problems, so i can't really help you.
And i don't remember how to change the IRQ, so i would have to Google it.

GL
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Thanks for reply! Mine is the newer revision without firewire port.
There's no IRQ conflict. I removed all the cards and disabled the onboard stuffs.
It can happen to any of left/right/both channels. Here's a sample of the noise I get every few seconds:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RiP2 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:20 pm Thanks for reply! Mine is the newer revision without firewire port.
There's no IRQ conflict. I removed all the cards and disabled the onboard stuffs.
It can happen to any of left/right/both channels. Here's a sample of the noise I get every few seconds:
Hmm that is properly strange.
Imported it in REAPER and zoomed max in on that click (that kind of thing is usually not called "noise").
Everything is normal, then just 1 sample on 1 channel goes to max value.
Has to be on software level.

What are your driver and patchmix versions ?
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

I used these files: EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00.exe & EmuPMX_PCDrv_US_2_30_00_BETA.exe
Even tried these but no change: EmuPMX_PCApp_L6_2_10_00.exe & EmuPMX_PCDrv_L6_2_10_00.exe

Even no difference switching from Win10 x64 to Win7 x86

Yes, it sounds like a software issue, wish I could bypass Patchmix :neutral:
I might try it on another computer later.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mine is everything exactly the same as in your screenshot except one thing: 1010 Firmware version is 3.4
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Was curious if i could find a more up to date firmware than what is on my card, so i googled it:
http://maxonlimited.com/uploads/ipo_doc ... mware/emu/

IDK how to install it though.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

RiP2 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:20 pm Thanks for reply! Mine is the newer revision without firewire port.
I had that EXACT problem once; I knew the noise before I even heard it. The only thing I did was change location of my Emu card to a different slot to try fit in a larger GPU. Then that noise started and it DROVE ME f**king BONKERS. I reverted everything and it was all fine again. Try placing the card away from others and away from PSU or CPU; isolate it as much as possible.

Thanks all, I think v1.6 is newer than v3.4 but not sure:
Mutant wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:46 am But 1 thing is very different, it says firmware for 1010 is V3.4, not V1.6 as yours.
But maybe 3.4 for PCI means older than 1.6 for PCIe ?
I'll try to install it later on the 3rd PCI slot or on another computer.
But what if it was the grounding issue? anyway to fix it?

RiP2 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:58 am But what if it was the grounding issue? anyway to fix it?
I remember once having some static discharge spikes on my electric guitar long time ago.
I think i tried to ground the guitar to myself with a thin (for safety) wire.
I don't remember if it worked or not. :)
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

3. Do IRQ assignments on the motherboard cause most of the problems (BSODs, pops & crackles) that people are experiencing? Would moving their card to another slot help?
4. Does Windows 7's automatic driver install process seem to interrupt the proper driver installation and then cause issues? Is there a way to turn this off so that we know for sure something strange isn't happening when we are installing drivers?
5. Does Windows 7's sound configuration settings (Sound -> Properties -> Advanced -> Set your sample rate) & system sound cause issues?

Same here the recording buffer is running out "gapping". Maybe the newer DS drivers have different buffer sizes? I do get it to work using ASIO.

Your questions start at #3...were there two others you meant to ask?

BSODs, pops and crackles are usually caused by different things. BSODs ("blue screens of death") are usually caused by failing hardware or bad, poorly designed, or corrupt drivers. Pops and crackles are usually caused by people using the PC's on-board audio system, or by stressing the CPU or ASIO drivers during recording or playback.

While BSODs can be difficult to troubleshoot and resolve, pops and crackles are usually fairly easy to fix. IRQ assignments are almost never an issue here. In fact, I can't remember a time they were in the last 15 years or so, and I help out with these issues often on here and other forums.

Windows 7 doesn't have an "automatic" driver install process, per se. If you install hardware for which Win7 doesn't have the drivers, it will prompt you to provide them (or offer to try to find them through Windows Update. If you install hardware for which Win7 can find generic (or Microsoft-supplied) drivers on your system, it will install them, but you can still install the hardware manufacturer's drivers.

Windows' sound configuration panel will not override (or as far as I've seen, even affect) the settings you use for your ASIO driver. If you're using Microsoft's own WDM or MME drivers with a sound card (not the motherboard's built-in sound "chip"), then the sound configuration panel may be necessary for configuring your audio input--but you're going to have other problems. That's not because of the sound configuration panel, however. It's because WDM and MME drivers are basically useless.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

It's a quote, not a question..
planetearth wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:42 pm Windows' sound configuration panel will not override (or as far as I've seen, even affect) the settings you use for your ASIO driver. If you're using Microsoft's own WDM or MME drivers with a sound card (not the motherboard's built-in sound "chip"), then the sound configuration panel may be necessary for configuring your audio input--but you're going to have other problems. That's not because of the sound configuration panel, however. It's because WDM and MME drivers are basically useless.
Steve
EMU 1212M driver support is long gone. It's ancient. The drivers are just the regular EMU ones, but I had the exact same problem. It's the updates. WDM you are right it's very strange..

Selecting ASIO gets it to record duplex here.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”