Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The Stagg looks tempting actually cpt

I just got some new pups- the Duncan Sentient/Nazgul,
they have nice separation, the Sentient has a lot more highs in the neck
Very happy w/- them
I should take a photo of the beat up axe they're in

nix808 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:40 pm The Stagg looks tempting actually cpt
I know very little about guitars, but I like it. It detunes easily though, have to tune every day. Not sure about the piezo recorded sound yet, still have to check that thoroughly.

maybe u could use lighter strings and give the truss rod 1/5 turn tighter-
hmm, I suggest it has to do with strength/rigidity(maybe it will stop with age,humidity change)
I have some Stagg leads, they work fine and seem quality
I will get an acoustic sometime- prolly a dreadnought though,
I need to setup for power outs, so a battery amp is on the wishlist too

I've bought a few things which are Gear4Music's own brand - they're cheap and cheerful, playable, stay in tune and always worth the relatively low amount you pay for them. Decided on a whim to get an electro-acoustic bass as it was b-stock and £70 odd. Seriously bloody good! Twangy...

jeez u have some pluck there
:D

nix808 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:08 am maybe u could use lighter strings and give the truss rod 1/5 turn tighter
Not sure that either of those are the first things I would do to fix a tuning problem. The two biggest causes of tuning issues are how the strings are put on, and how the strings run through the nut. Lighter strings can still slip on the tuners and stick in the nut.

As for the truss rod, adjusting it is not really going to be a fix for tuning issues. Personally I would only ever adjust the truss rod to fix issues with the straightness of the neck, which can be measured and you can determine which way to adjust it.
Sweet child in time...

Deep Purple wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:56 am The two biggest causes of tuning issues are how the strings are put on
Ah, that will explain it then, I re-stringed it upon arrival, and I'm terrible at that. Will watch a vid first next time.

If I play her enough, I may upgrade later, if the recorded sound warrants that. Currently eyeing the Yamaha NTX700C.

cptgone wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:55 am
Deep Purple wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:56 am The two biggest causes of tuning issues are how the strings are put on
Ah, that will explain it then, I re-stringed it upon arrival, and I'm terrible at that. Will watch a vid first next time.
Before you put the strings on, check to see that they run through the nut without sticking - if they do then you may still have issues with tuning, even if you do a good job tying them on the tuners.

Do you have any fret files? They're pretty cheap to pick up, and if you have a string that won't pass through, you can fix it with some gentle widening of the nut slot. Plenty of videos on YouTube to give you some good tips on using nut files.
Sweet child in time...

@ Deep Purple: thank you!

cptgone wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:55 am I re-stringed it upon arrival, and I'm terrible at that.
Don't buy a 12 string... :x

donkey tugger wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:56 am
cptgone wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:55 am I re-stringed it upon arrival, and I'm terrible at that.
Yeah, I read about the pains involved, and I knew it wasn't for me. You are brave :wink:

cptgone wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:08 am
donkey tugger wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:56 am
Yeah, I read about the pains involved, and I knew it wasn't for me. You are brave :wink:
Foolhardy maybe...

Worth the hassle though - the best sound in the world when it's all set up nicely. :love:

Yeah, I've played my Gretsch way more than my other guitars, so far this year.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Finally had the Revelation Bass VI delivered today. Needs a new set of strings etc, but f**king love it already. All me weirdy high open chords sound even more weirdy an octave lower..... :love:

Not a new guitar, but I am going to upgrade the pickups in my PJ bass this weekend - I have a DiMarzio DP122 and DP123, a couple of 500k taper pots for volume, and a 1M linear pot for tone (plus the usual caps).

I'm also going to put a black pick guard on in place of the 3 ply white as I think it will look good with the tobacco sunburst body. I did intend to put vintage J Bass knobs on, but accidentally bought the ones for smooth shaft pots, so I'll leave the chrome domes on.
Sweet child in time...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”