Dunna Digs into the IK Multimedia Total Studio

Interactive, forum-based, in-depth reviews, tips, tutorials and more.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Lurssen Mastering Console

I recently had the chance to check out the Lurssen Mastering Console plugin from IK Multimedia and see what it was all about. It's a super interesting concept. Being used to a lot of the plugins that are out there now and having full control of EVERY SINGLE parameter, it was kind of cool to be limited to only the parameters that the developers deemed necessary to change. The goal here was to emulate the actual workflow of the man himself. Check out the video and add your thoughts to the conversation!

https://youtu.be/RWsiSJu_ohQ

--
Justin "Dunna" McDonough
Juno Nominated Producer/Recording Engineer
Resonate Music School & Studio
http://www.resonatemusic.ca

If you have mastering grade monitoring situation and a lot of experience you can probably make a 1/2 decent master. If you don't then there is a very high chance you may be fooling yourself and make things sound worse.

Hi Donna.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Sounds like make people think they could master by eliminating any relevant mastering decision...
A bit like these online mastering automats which work without a human interference...
Does not even convince me to demo...

There are several mastering plug-ins that use machine learning for assistance. For me they make for great starting points. They can't replace a human, but they can save some time...

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:52 am Sounds like make people think they could master by eliminating any relevant mastering decision...
A bit like these online mastering automats which work without a human interference...
Does not even convince me to demo...
Also, Lurssen Mastering Console doesn't just exude "set it and forget it" - it is recommended that you use things like the Push control to highlight high-energy sections of songs (like choruses)
and similar. This is similar to how Gavin and Reuben master at their actual studio, they created this Push control to make sure that mastering was more than just a bunch of settings to make every song simply sound uniform/similar on an album. There's more to mastering than that (though consistency is obviously important to avoid having material sound like it is disjointed and IS really part of a whole of course) and Lurssen Mastering Console facilitates that sort of thinking.

Sorry I thought I had dropped in here to say that I've relayed the requests made above to the team.

Also, for things like Geddy Lee's sound, I'd say off the top of my head that his own preferred sound seems currently based (bassed! :) ) on a progression (another intended pun) to Jazz bass through Orange AD200 (definitely popular in his live setup) which is entirely possible through MODO BASS --> AmpliTube as we have the right bass and amp/cab to do so. We also have the ol' Rick to get some of the more old school Geddy/Rush tones too.

My first rock concert was the Signals tour in I believe 1982 and it was an amazing experience. I had seen them every tour since then through around Presto and on and off since. Sadly there will be no more live Rush from the sound of it but that's all right. They had a good long run.

On another fork in memory lane, I never got to see the full Pink Floyd lineup. I didn't have an opportunity before the Waters/Gilmour split but I did get to see the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour five times within a two-week period since they played a huge string of dates in the NY/NJ area which was also an amazing live experience. I'm less knowledgeable of the specifics of Roger's bass gear but I'm pretty sure MODO --> AmpliTube could pull that off quite well too.

The interview that Warren Huart did with the guys is very interesting. It explains in some detail why their chains (presets) are set a certain way and why it might be necessary to ride the PUSH control. It struck me that Mastering can be a creative process rather than just a means to an end. Because the chains are clearly visible on the GUI, it's possible to get a starting point from the LMC (lurssen mastering console) and experiment with ones own single plugins etc. I find the sound of the LMC to be very pleasing.

It's quite a long video but worth taking the time to view it imho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmQE2c1GXfA

I think Geddy plays with his fingernails. I could be wrong though, so don't quote me.

Aloysius wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:12 pm I think Geddy plays with his fingernails. I could be wrong though, so don't quote me.
Let your fingernails grow like classical guitarists do, then head to the next music store, pick up any bass and play as long until the nails are ruined... it will take probably less than a minute...
I play bass with my fingers (short nails) or a plektrum of stone...
(Don‘t look at Amazon to find one, better look for it in the next creek...)
I bet Modo Bass does not model a stone plektrum...;-)

Interesting! His nails are still short, but you could get them to touch the strings and add some sharpness...
Thanks for the vid...

:tu:

Here's an interview about using AI in music from the Berklee online magazine....

https://soundcloud.com/user-5626853/how ... innovation

The Lurssen has the added fairy dust from their experience.

dunnadidit wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:46 pm ... it was kind of cool to be limited to only the parameters that the developers deemed necessary to change.

not cool

Return to “KVR Experts”