Soundtheory GULLFOSS computional auditory perception EQ

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Gullfoss

Heads up - Gullfoss is now available for Windows! 50% off currently, and also reduced price (25% off or so) for Macs.

I've waited for it for months, so tried to use it, but the iLok activation screwed things up, so I contacted support (after my third unsuccessful try, I was banned and the msg told me to buy Gullfoss as I had tried too many times). I really think it's a shame iLok activation is needed for TRYING OUT the product in demo mode! :o
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

No problems here with the ilok. But I agree it is very uncomfortable for a simple demo. It should be available for all and to may catch even the dongle haters.

I'd think that removing iLok code/requirements is hard and can introduce bugs. Including it in the demo also makes it easy, I'm sure, to move from demo -> paid.

I bought it for $99 (will also put it on my Mac when the intro period is over), even though that makes it one of the most expensive single effect plugins I own.

I don't even need an audiounit. Why I then have to pay for it extra? :? I guess some Apple blame tax or something. I am not responsible for Apple's decisions.

Glad iLok worked out for you. I still have trouble with it, and am now installing the very latest version. On the bright side, support replied to me within an hour so they are very responsive. :tu:

(Support told me to install the latest version, so that's the first tip for anyone having the same trouble. Basically, i have been able to activate the trial in iLok Manager, but though rebooting, I still get the Activate popup and then everything fails.)
Go MuLab!

SparkySpark wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:52 pm Glad iLok worked out for you. I still have trouble with it, and am now installing the very latest version. On the bright side, support replied to me within an hour so they are very responsive. :tu:

(Support told me to install the latest version, so that's the first tip for anyone having the same trouble. Basically, i have been able to activate the trial in iLok Manager, but though rebooting, I still get the Activate popup and then everything fails.)
Ironically, support said iLok is super great and they switched because they won't have to deal with so much support for licensing.
I love sound theory and gullfoss, but i seriously hope iLok bites them back enough they keep supporting the old authentication method.
Hanz Meyzer wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:46 pm I don't even need an audiounit. Why I then have to pay for it extra? :? I guess some Apple blame tax or something. I am not responsible for Apple's decisions.
What the hell are you on about? Nobody is paying extra for Audio Unit

Ploki wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:15 pm I love sound theory and gullfoss, but i seriously hope iLok bites them back enough they keep supporting the old authentication method.
You hope that?? Wow, that's unfortunate. I feel sorry for you. :phones:

Ploki wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:15 pm What the hell are you on about? Nobody is paying extra for Audio Unit
Just look at the prices, gsus...

plexuss wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:24 pm
Ploki wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:15 pm I love sound theory and gullfoss, but i seriously hope iLok bites them back enough they keep supporting the old authentication method.
Nah, i just really dislike iLok. I'm allowed to, or not?
Hanz Meyzer wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:36 pm Just look at the prices, gsus...
Yes, it has been clarified already - windows is at introductory pricing, mac already had that, when it was well, introduced. You can buy the Windows version and wait for couple of months till the introductory price is over to use it on Mac.
there is no extra "apple tax" or some bs.

Don't geddit. You mean I can buy the Windows version and then also will have the Mac version?

Ploki wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:54 pm
Absolutely. If you don't like iLok did you end up getting Gullfoss? Running the demo?

I hated the idea of iLok before I got iLok. But I love iLok because of the tools it makes accessible to me. I also like the idea of having licenses on a USB key instead of constrained to my computer which makes life easier in the event of a computer failure.

ILok gives you access to Liquidsonics reverbs... that's gotta be worth something. They are some of the best sounding reverbs I've heard. :phones:

I have almost all my audio software with ilok protection , and i haven't problems with this .I found the ilok with his dongle is better than other online protection....It's my mind :shrug:

I have buy gullfoss on windows version , and i haven't problem with ilok. :tu:

Hi,

Didn't want to start an iLok flaming thread... :wink:

Anyway, for anyone else having trouble: I can confirm that after updating iLok Manager to 5.0.2, it worked flawlessly. My computer is just six months old, but for some reason I had iLok Manager 2.5! And they look exactly the same (I found the version number in the Help menu of iLok Manager)! It also surprised me that I needed to update as I tried to use the cloud version for my activation. But as I said (and support told me), updating to the newest version of iLok Manager did the trick.

Also, I was confused given the choice of Activate and Try. Since there was a choice, I thought that Activate meant inserting a (purchased) license code, and that Try meant starting the trial. Apparently, that was not the case (or so it seems). I have no idea what Try is for, if it's not for - well - trying out the VST. :)

So now it works and my tracks sound less dull and perhaps also more definable. :)

However, I feel I get a bit of a pumping effect. I assume it has to do with having the settings too high, and will have to dig more into the manual.
Go MuLab!

plexuss wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:39 am
Ploki wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:54 pm
Absolutely. If you don't like iLok did you end up getting Gullfoss? Running the demo?

I hated the idea of iLok before I got iLok. But I love iLok because of the tools it makes accessible to me. I also like the idea of having licenses on a USB key instead of constrained to my computer which makes life easier in the event of a computer failure.

ILok gives you access to Liquidsonics reverbs... that's gotta be worth something. They are some of the best sounding reverbs I've heard. :phones:
Nah, i bought it for mac last year and have the old licensing model, which for me, works great.
I do have iLok for ProTools, but it's unreliable, very picky about ports, uses up one USB port all the time + i have a dual machine setup so if i forget an iLok i'm screwed.

on the other hand, all plugins I use allow activation on two systems so i have both machines authorised and working fine.
Hanz Meyzer wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:15 am Don't geddit. You mean I can buy the Windows version and then also will have the Mac version?
yes, but you will be only be able to activate the mac version after the introductory price period has been over.
most plugins upon their release have a short period of "introductory pricing", and Win version of Gullfoss is treated as such.
Because Mac version already had an introductory version last year for discount, Sound Theory is trying to discourage Mac buyers to take advantage of Windows version introductory pricing by limiting their ability to activate a discounted license during the introductory period.
SparkySpark wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:06 am

So now it works and my tracks sound less dull and perhaps also more definable. :)

However, I feel I get a bit of a pumping effect. I assume it has to do with having the settings too high, and will have to dig more into the manual.
when i use it on a mix or a bus, if i need to push it beyond 30-40% that usually means something is fundamentally wrong on the source.
it's actually a very good "audible" analyser, because it can show you some of the problems your mix might have when pushed :)

I never used it beyond 30-40% for balancing purposes.

Im just testin it on different material and i really seem to like it. It seems more smooth and less? Cpu hog than unfilter.
I dont know yet how to control it well though. I use recover max. 50% and adjust the rest even lower around +/- 20% max. More sounds too fake so far.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Return to “Effects”