48 kHZ or 44.1 kHZ ?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
ramseysounds
KVRist
299 posts since 9 Jul, 2014 from UK

Post Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:08 am

You can't beat 8 bit for that crunchy sound :tu: :help:
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

metamorphosis
KVRAF
3815 posts since 8 Jan, 2005 from Hamilton, New Zealand

Re: 48 kHZ or 44.1 kHZ ?

Post Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:29 pm

fmr wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:52 am
And working at 48 kHz will only be MARGINALLY BETTER.
Please read previous posts regards DAC/ADAC capabilities, filtering, and the ideal 60khz samplerate...


Personally I have found recording & processing at 48khz more-than marginally better, while 96khz was only marginally better than 48khz. YMMV

ramseysounds wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:08 am
You can't beat 8 bit for that crunchy sound :tu: :help:
You can't even tell the difference with most modern, overcompressed music!
https://www.audiocheck.net/blindtests_16vs8bit.php

poonna
KVRian
1368 posts since 3 Oct, 2001 from Thailand

Re: 48 kHZ or 44.1 kHZ ?

Post Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:59 pm

metamorphosis wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:29 pm
You can't even tell the difference with most modern, overcompressed music!
https://www.audiocheck.net/blindtests_16vs8bit.php
I can get over 95% confidence with that test. 8-bit version is not as clean. I can't get it 100% correct though.
Peace, my friends. I'm not seeking arguments here. ;)

ramseysounds
KVRist
299 posts since 9 Jul, 2014 from UK

Re: 48 kHZ or 44.1 kHZ ?

Post Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:15 am

metamorphosis wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:29 pm
ramseysounds wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:08 am
You can't beat 8 bit for that crunchy sound :tu: :help:
You can't even tell the difference with most modern, overcompressed music!
https://www.audiocheck.net/blindtests_16vs8bit.php
Have you heard of humour? :wink:
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

User avatar
toonertik
KVRAF
1506 posts since 15 Feb, 2017 from a worn out vinyl groove

Re: 48 kHZ or 44.1 kHZ ?

Post Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:23 am

^^^^ :tu:

metamorphosis
KVRAF
3815 posts since 8 Jan, 2005 from Hamilton, New Zealand

Re: 48 kHZ or 44.1 kHZ ?

Post Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:59 pm

ramseysounds wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:15 am
metamorphosis wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:29 pm
ramseysounds wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:08 am
You can't beat 8 bit for that crunchy sound :tu: :help:
You can't even tell the difference with most modern, overcompressed music!
https://www.audiocheck.net/blindtests_16vs8bit.php
Have you heard of humour? :wink:
Have you??

metamorphosis
KVRAF
3815 posts since 8 Jan, 2005 from Hamilton, New Zealand

Re: 48 kHZ or 44.1 kHZ ?

Post Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:00 pm

poonna wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:59 pm
metamorphosis wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:29 pm
You can't even tell the difference with most modern, overcompressed music!
https://www.audiocheck.net/blindtests_16vs8bit.php
I can get over 95% confidence with that test. 8-bit version is not as clean. I can't get it 100% correct though.
I get about 98% - main difference is slight subjective volume drop for me

User avatar
SODDI
KVRAF
3323 posts since 2 Jul, 2007

Re: 48 kHZ or 44.1 kHZ ?

Post Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:02 pm

16/44, you can always come back and remix to 48

harveywright1995
KVRer
7 posts since 29 Feb, 2016

Re: 48 kHZ or 44.1 kHZ ?

Post Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:37 am

I definitely hear the benefit of 48

Ploki
KVRian
784 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Re: 48 kHZ or 44.1 kHZ ?

Post Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:11 pm

sure why not

enroe
KVRian
999 posts since 19 Mar, 2008 from germany

Re: 48 kHZ or 44.1 kHZ ?

Post Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:27 am

metamorphosis wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:29 pm
... regarding DAC/ADAC capabilities, filtering, and the ideal 60khz samplerate ...
Personally I have found recording & processing at 57.362 khz best. After many
sessions and comparisons I came to the conclusion that 57.362 khz sounds
harmonically better and warmer than any other sample-rate. 8)
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

User avatar
VELLTONE MUSIC
KVRian
711 posts since 19 Sep, 2017 from Galaxy far away

Re: 48 kHZ or 44.1 kHZ ?

Post Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:17 am

48khz is audible better with 8bit depth - i guess it is the same with 24 bit just not so audible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgOayE-9zD0

metamorphosis
KVRAF
3815 posts since 8 Jan, 2005 from Hamilton, New Zealand

Re: 48 kHZ or 44.1 kHZ ?

Post Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:12 pm

enroe wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:27 am
metamorphosis wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:29 pm
... regarding DAC/ADAC capabilities, filtering, and the ideal 60khz samplerate ...
Personally I have found recording & processing at 57.362 khz best. After many
sessions and comparisons I came to the conclusion that 57.362 khz sounds
harmonically better and warmer than any other sample-rate. 8)
pffft! Try 59.12 for the real sweetness...

Ploki
KVRian
784 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Re: 48 kHZ or 44.1 kHZ ?

Post Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:13 pm

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:17 am
48khz is audible better with 8bit depth - i guess it is the same with 24 bit just not so audible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgOayE-9zD0
that makes absolutely no sense..

User avatar
VELLTONE MUSIC
KVRian
711 posts since 19 Sep, 2017 from Galaxy far away

Re: 48 kHZ or 44.1 kHZ ?

Post Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:45 am

Yep,If you are deaf...

Return to “Production Techniques”