One Synth Challenge #121: Any One Synth (Rellik Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

:D yeah, it was Surge 1.6 beta 5. Should probably upgrade to the fresh one now.
z.prime wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:24 amMuch love to you, Guenon.
You too :hug: , great that you've been a part of bringing this synth back like this. If I was pressed to name just one best free synth, Surge would most probably be it. And open source, even.

Edit: updated video link :P , decided to make the final mix slightly more open while keeping the "old" vibe.
Last edited by Guenon on Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Decided to scrap my track and do something completely different, here's a small teaser:

https://clyp.it/blvzfgri?token=b3e0130b ... ab86bbf4bd

Still done completely within the Analog Four, no external effects or mixing done on this. It takes a bit of creativity to do full songs with just four tracks and four voices, but it's fun to come up with tricks. :)

Guenon wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:50 am :D yeah, it was Surge 1.6 beta 5. Should probably upgrade to the fresh one now.
z.prime wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:24 amMuch love to you, Guenon.
You too :hug: , great that you've been a part of bringing this synth back like this. If I was pressed to name just one best free synth, Surge would most probably be it. And open source, even.
Heh, the only reason I didn't go for Surge this month was the prospect of a Surge OSC in the very near future :) Having so much fun with this one.
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

schiing wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:04 pm Heh, the only reason I didn't go for Surge this month was the prospect of a Surge OSC in the very near future :) Having so much fun with this one.
Exactly the thought I had as well :D ... Then decided to try it and it came to this.

Guenon wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:10 pm
schiing wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:04 pm Heh, the only reason I didn't go for Surge this month was the prospect of a Surge OSC in the very near future :) Having so much fun with this one.
Exactly the thought I had as well :D ... Then decided to try it and it came to this.
Lucky for the rest of us - we get two Surging Guenon tracks! :party:
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Still unfinished but getting there! Running out of voices to create any more percussion, so the kick will have to do. :)

https://soundcloud.com/ilmai/osc121-2019-03-19/s-hMiON

Hi everyone!

I'm quite busy and still pretty new to making music .. but still hoping I can find enough time to complete a track for this challenge. It would be my first OSC :)
Even if I don't manage to finish a track, the challenge has already pushed me far enough so that the partial draft of my track is better than anything I have ever produced, lol.

I'm still running a free-only setup .. my choice is going to be Tyrell N6.

A question came up though: some EQ as external effect is obviously allowed (I think), but is there a limit how far one should go with it? I'm thinking mostly about drums/percussion, where EQ can really make a huge difference.

tomx2188 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:51 pm
I'm still running a free-only setup .. my choice is going to be Tyrell N6.
Good on you for sticking with free only and Tyrell N6 is very good and powerful choice.

Regarding what is allowed read the rules and reread them before posting.
Effects, dynamics and stuff is kool, just avoid devices that change the character of the original sound too much.

z.prime wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:24 am Did you use the open source Surge synth?
I know I would have if I new about it long enough to learn it.
I had already posted my contribution:-(

Oh, one thing I should mention about Surge... These betas seem to have difficulties loading patches (or recalling the plugin states on project load) in Live 10 over here. I needed to load the project multiple times, and even then remove and reload some instances so that I could get them all play nice at the same time. This manifested as the failing instances loading in a state that caused loud overs/snaps instead of the intended sound. I can easily reproduce this in Live 10, almost every time. Even small test projects with a handful of Surge instances do this. Can't get it to fail like this on Reaper, and it also works in Live 8 on the same Win 7 64bit system, so this seems specific to Live 10.

A typical render of what this actually sounds like: you know when you come home and the robots are always having the typical homecoming jubilee:

https://soundcloud.com/guenooni/surge-p ... ng/s-t5sOn

...but instead you find them short circuiting all over (volume of render lowered to protect ears) :

https://soundcloud.com/guenooni/surge-p ... ng/s-c2Dd2

:?

Haha, when I turned on the speakers I accidentally played your robot tracks on top of my soft jazz-funk project, which, unbeknownst to me, was playing on a loop in the background from last night. Perfect match - talk about vaporwave!

Another thing I noticed about the Surge betas, which is kind of a big thing in my workflow: Mod/pitch wheel and key velocity didn't work with the vst3 version (64-bit win 10 / Studio One 4 Pro). Fine with vst2, though. But this was a few weeks ago, so it might be sorted.

Thanks guys

Surge is amazing. I dont know how i missed it over the years. It has a ridiculous amount of functionality on one screen and you can still see it. The sound is good. The fx are good. Kudos to the folks that did the factory presets. The browser is awesome. It remnds me of Crystal meets Oatmeal. A great synth indeed. It is almost Synthmaster......on one page.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Guenon wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:16 am These betas seem to have difficulties loading patches (or recalling the plugin states on project load) in Live 10 over here. I needed to load the project multiple times, and even then remove and reload some instances so that I could get them all play nice at the same time. ... this seems specific to Live 10.
Thanks, I'll make sure a ticket is entered. Is there a simple project you could send me that exhibits the issue regularly so I could attach it to the ticket for people to be able to diagnose easier?

Guys, guys! You’re so convincing, making me go and get Surge! I gotta have it! :hihi:
I’ve got too many synths already :wink:

Return to “Instruments”