What hardware synths or synthesis types do you want to see ported into soft synths?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:15 pm
pekbro wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:04 pm
deastman wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:50 pm
Also, real-time raytracing of sound waves bouncing off surfaces of different materials in three dimensions. All real-time and fully interactive.
Unfortunately, it doesn't make much sense to do that. Raytracing deals with a single point of light,
thats not going to be very useful for audio.
Yeah, its almost as though he's suggesting sounds originate from a single point of vibration.
Forgive me for not going into much greater detail on the execution of this half-baked concept! Obviously it would be like multiple emitters, receivers, scattering, diffusion, etc...
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Jim Y wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:03 pm Funnily enough, this thread makes me realise I may sometime need something that can do those Korg S&S combi patches from the 01 - 05 series.
I have the Korg 01W/R and the NS5R, both are awesome synth modules, very versatile. I also have the Korg Z1, the TR-Rack, a PA300 (with the M3 and Triton presets loaded). Very interesting and great synths. The Korg Legacy collection M1 and Wavestation could be useful for S+S layered combis.

deastman wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:23 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:15 pm
pekbro wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:04 pm
deastman wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:50 pm
Also, real-time raytracing of sound waves bouncing off surfaces of different materials in three dimensions. All real-time and fully interactive.
Unfortunately, it doesn't make much sense to do that. Raytracing deals with a single point of light,
thats not going to be very useful for audio.
Yeah, its almost as though he's suggesting sounds originate from a single point of vibration.
Forgive me for not going into much greater detail on the execution of this half-baked concept! Obviously it would be like multiple emitters, receivers, scattering, diffusion, etc...
I thought that QuikQuak had done something like that. I seem to remember a plug-in called 'RaySpace' but I can't find it now and I'm not even sure if that is what it did. :lol:

why not emulate a modern synths (Yamaha Tyros. Yamaha Montage. Nord stage 2. korg kronos. Access Virus etc.)

"Synthetic" reverb typically based on one or another config of arrays of tapped delay lines with possibly multiple feedbacks and feedback filtering.

You could use geometry of "ray tracing" as a graphical way to automatically set tap delay times and feedback amounts/filtering, according to a room diagram. Whether it would anyway resemble the sound of a real room of similar dimensions would be another can of worms.

Light photons have diffusion but over short distances maybe a lot of photons make it all the way across a room without interacting with a gas molecule, absorption and re-emission?

Acoustics math deals with kinda abstract "particles" just arbitrary small regions of air. Not single molecules, but groups of nearby molecules.

Sound wave propagates not by sending a particle from place to place like photons, but the sound source nudges nearby "particles" then those nudged particles don't move very far but nudge their neighboring particles, etc. So the sound pressure wave moves thru the medium but the medium mostly stays about the same location and just "jiggles around" a little bit.

Roland Jupiter-4.
eh?

justin3am wrote:

I thought that QuikQuak had done something like that. I seem to remember a plug-in called 'RaySpace' but I can't find it now and I'm not even sure if that is what it did. :lol:
There are a couple like that, I imagine they are using rays for distance and angular measurements. Ray tracing always returns a color. *Or at least a triple, which is why vector algebra is convenient. Well vec4 as well to account for transparency (typically)

This was useful to me in a previous life:
http://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs/45578/In ... gation.pdf

Ray tracing is pretty common in the sonar world

resynthesis wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:35 pm This was useful to me in a previous life:
http://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs/45578/In ... gation.pdf

Ray tracing is pretty common in the sonar world
Thats pretty Interesting. I suppose you could probably use similar techniques to
model how a rooms acoustics would be affected by the presence of people or
other obstacles. Certainly that might be useful for designing structures as being
integrated into a sound system or in the very least, some ridiculously accurate
reverberation models. No doubt air density, particulate concentration and
surface properties all produce measurable affect on sound waves, unfortunately
as a species, we are limited by the capacity of our own ears to make much
use of anything beyond the extreme. I personally think that spectral representation
of audio, is really just beginning to come into it's own. Down the road, more techniques
useful in image synthesis could be applied with great affect in many audio based applications.

Currently, our perceptional differentiation of audio and visual is too great imho. Mathematically,
they are not nearly as divergent. And that is the key to much. :borg:

Franknb wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:48 pm why not emulate a modern synths (Yamaha Tyros. Yamaha Montage. Nord stage 2. korg kronos. Access Virus etc.)
It would be great to have such modern synth emulations.

This synth virtualization would also help the planet, as software synths are more ecofriendly than hardware synths ;)

Sam Marks wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:14 am
Franknb wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:48 pm why not emulate a modern synths (Yamaha Tyros. Yamaha Montage. Nord stage 2. korg kronos. Access Virus etc.)
It would be great to have such modern synth emulations.

This synth virtualization would also help the planet, as software synths are more ecofriendly than hardware synths ;)
Yeah, its just a pity the PCs the software synths are running on arent more ecofriendly.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

justin3am wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:14 pm I thought that QuikQuak had done something like that. I seem to remember a plug-in called 'RaySpace' but I can't find it now and I'm not even sure if that is what it did. :lol:
From their webpage conserning RaySpace:
6th January 2019
RaySpace discontinued
RaySpace is no longer available.
It's mainly because of not being able to update the code to 64 bit without a complete re-write, and administering the complicated registration process which went wrong with many people due to the Windows & Apple 'gatekeeper' process that was introduced since the plug-in was made. Plus, a lot of piracy didn't help me much!
A new version may be considered in the future.
Thanks,
Dave Hoskins.
QuikQuak audio.
The old productpage is still up though, describes it pretty well -> https://www.quikquak.com/Prod_RaySpace.html

Gone soft wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:22 pm
justin3am wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:14 pm I thought that QuikQuak had done something like that. I seem to remember a plug-in called 'RaySpace' but I can't find it now and I'm not even sure if that is what it did. :lol:
From their webpage conserning RaySpace:
6th January 2019
RaySpace discontinued
RaySpace is no longer available.
It's mainly because of not being able to update the code to 64 bit without a complete re-write, and administering the complicated registration process which went wrong with many people due to the Windows & Apple 'gatekeeper' process that was introduced since the plug-in was made. Plus, a lot of piracy didn't help me much!
A new version may be considered in the future.
Thanks,
Dave Hoskins.
QuikQuak audio.
The old productpage is still up though, describes it pretty well -> https://www.quikquak.com/Prod_RaySpace.html
To the best of my knowledge (never having actually tried it), the QuikQuak product was prerendered and not real-time.

deastman wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:27 pm To the best of my knowledge (never having actually tried it), the QuikQuak product was prerendered and not real-time.
It worked as a realtime plugin, though I can't remember there being much possibilities for realtime changes if that's what you're thinking of. I remember being amused at first, then figuring I really needed something more intuitive to set up for a while until I could consider getting back to RaySpace further down the road.

Gone soft wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:30 pm
deastman wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:27 pm To the best of my knowledge (never having actually tried it), the QuikQuak product was prerendered and not real-time.
It worked as a realtime plugin, though I can't remember there being much possibilities for realtime changes if that's what you're thinking of. I remember being amused at first, then figuring I really needed something more intuitive to set up for a while until I could consider getting back to RaySpace further down the road.
Again, I haven’t used it. I looked at it when it first came out, which was an awfully long time ago. My recollection is that it used raytacing to precompute a synthesized convolution impulse, which you could then pass audio through. That is a far cry from something live and interactive. No disrespect, though. It was ahead of its time!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”