What hardware synths or synthesis types do you want to see ported into soft synths?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Although some of the classic hardware synths have been revived as software reincarnations, such as the Korg Legacy series, Roland Cloud, Waldorf soft synths or the Arturia synths, there are still some hardware gems that I would like to see and use in software format. It would be a dream for me.

I will start the wishlist with some suggestions, most of them from the 90s and some more recent:

Yamaha: SY99, EX5, VL1, AN1x, FS1R and Montage or MODX (FM-X)

Korg: Z1, 01W (waveshaping), Trinity, Oasys, Radias, Prologue and Kronos (MOD-7)

Roland: JP8080, JD-XA, V-Synth, Integra-7 (my desired additions to the future Roland Cloud synths)

Kurzweil: K2500, PC series, VAST synthesis.

Alesis Andromeda, Novation Supernova 2, Technics WSA-1 and Casio VZ-10m

You can add your own hardware favourites to the list or suggest your preferred close software alternatives for the ones proposed in this thread.

Hopefully some hardware manufacturer or software developer could read this thread and launch a product that will resuscitate or convert into software some of these hardware marvels.

For me it is the opposite. There is software I wish there was a hardware equivalent for.

Somehow it seems like wishful thinking to hope that a software developer will read a long list of every hardware synth not yet emulated virtually and say “Oh wow! I’d never heard of a Yamaha SY99 before! I’d better run off and clone that, including illegally redistributing their PCM samples!”

What would I like to see? Physically modeled recreations of combustion engines and other metal-on-metal turning, grinding elements with various frequency cycles. And yes, I am already aware of the few attempts to make something like this for foley work.

Also, real-time raytracing of sound waves bouncing off surfaces of different materials in three dimensions. All real-time and fully interactive.

Lime jello. Why is there no lime jello VST?
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

cant think of a single digital synth i would want as a VST, except a CZ, which we already have.

Polivoks

I still find it weird we're in 2019 and nobody ever released a proper commercial software emulation of that synth.

It`s not a bug... it`s a feature!

For the JP-8080/8k, there's this: https://www.adamszabo.com/jp6k/

Additionally, u-he Diva has the JP-8k's oscillator modelled, and Tone2 Electra2 has samples of the JP-8k's oscillator.

Thanks for all the replies. I agree with a lot of your comments so far.

I think that there could be some possible suggestions of hardware synth replacements as soft synths, apart from the ones mentioned in other comments. For some of the mentioned hardware synths (they are not exactly identical but they can do similar things and much more).

- SY99, TG77, FM-X and MOD-7=> Reaktor SY66 with custom sample set of TG500 and other hardware synths (which I own) or Rhino/Octopus/FM8
- V-Synth=> Reaktor Form
- Yamaha VL1, Korg Z1 (PM models)=>Reaktor Silverwood and Sculpture
- Yamaha AN1X => Sylenth/Spire
- JP8080=>Sunrizer/Diva
- VZ10m=>VirtualCZ

Anyway, I would not change this moment as a synth lover for any past moments. We are very lucky with all the current music production tech and synths, compared to past periods.

My idea in the post was not a question of a complete hardware revival in soft form, but, as there are virtual replicas of synths like the Korg M1 and the Novation A-Station, why not some of the mentioned here or the ones you like. Most of the synths commented here were/are in their time very well known flagships of their respective manufacturers.

For the most part, software has already exceeded older digital hardware synths. The synthesis is more diverse and more capable. Not much reason to go backwards.

pdxindy wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:28 pm For me it is the opposite. There is software I wish there was a hardware equivalent for.
Aalto!

I think I wouldn't mind a VST version of Soulsby Atmegatron (and its various other firmwares). I owned one, enjoyed its sound but eventually got kind of annoyed by the realities of working with it. For a lower price, no physical space taken, no awkward steps needed to switch firmware etc. I wouldn't mind messing with it from time to time again.

deastman wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:50 pm
Also, real-time raytracing of sound waves bouncing off surfaces of different materials in three dimensions. All real-time and fully interactive.
Unfortunately, it doesn't make much sense to do that. Raytracing deals with a single point of light,
thats not going to be very useful for audio. Even taken in spectral terms, I'm not sure how raytracing
would be useful. You could ray cast for spatial measurements and such.

Niowiad wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:51 pm Polivoks

I still find it weird we're in 2019 and nobody ever released a proper commercial software emulation of that synth.
The closet so far is https://samplesfrommars.com/products/so ... -from-mars though alas you're obviously not going to get the full experience just from sampling ...

pekbro wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:04 pm
deastman wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:50 pm
Unfortunately, it doesn't make much sense to do that. Raytracing deals with a single point of light,
thats not going to be very useful for audio.
Yeah, its almost as though he's suggesting sounds originate from a single point of vibration.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

foosnark wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:30 am
pdxindy wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:28 pm For me it is the opposite. There is software I wish there was a hardware equivalent for.
Aalto!

And Kaivo and Bazille!

Funnily enough, this thread makes me realise I may sometime need something that can do those Korg S&S combi patches from the 01 - 05 series.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”