Is music just an elaborate arpeggio?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

IncarnateX wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:13 pm
telecode wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:09 pmNo one is teaching you didley.

No? But why does the fact machine run then?
There are no facts. There is just your own personal skewed non-objective highly-subjective and highly-biased view and opinion on things.

So it’s a fact that there are no facts? Think you should speak for yourself here, that would make sense. You have not provided any fact but just BS presented as such :wink:
Yeah, I liked LSD, it was okay. Some trips were better than others. There was this one time when we all walked along the waterfront and this one chick fell in the water and we just stared at her forever trying to figure out why she was splashing so much. :tu:
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

musically, i was more in to the earache/peaceville stuff at the time.
but as mentioned, small town living meant hanging with all the subs.
so id be there in my carcass: reek of putrefaction tshirt, with my mate woody dressed like one of poison or some glam shite, with katy in full children of the night goth get up :shrug:

all off together to see poisoned electrick head or wizards of twiddly :)

chemically, yeah, lsd or any of the other alphabets, mdma, dmt, ddt (just kidding)

ah the youths how lucky they are!
bodies too f**ked to deal with much of anything these days :lol:

telecode wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:17 amlast time i checked, a college education is
I implied something about yours. Mine didn't come from college, past the 'Applied Music' which meant playing an instrument for a grade, and the Honors curriculae in theory and history. I dropped out of the history bit. I dropped out of fecking high school for that matter, testing out with what I knew by the 6th grade. However I studied constantly throughout my life in the library all the time. I wrote a graduate level paper at CCM for an A- as a sophomore. People are free to self-educate. I think it can be good to present and be graded but I didn't really gravitate to the need to write for a doctorate. Advanced degrees are a product really of a self-starter, the degree happens when you have a defensible argument which is thorough enough.

You lack education because you lack the capacity to self-critique, you come in thinking you are competitive but have NO ideas, just a lot of snark. We can see by your reference to your own history you aren't a juvenile, but your total lack of content and awareness makes you look just as on top of things as the most arrogant petulant dull jr high student in the world.
You don't have a defensible anything to present. You aren't saving face by continuing to posture, exactly the opposite.
You don't have the self-awareness to know to be embarrassed.

telecode wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:48 pm Yeah, I liked LSD
There it was. A little too much, maybe.

telecode wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:17 am the only thing you could possibly accuse me of is, my obersevations are skewed because on that they are based on my geographic region, the social place in the society i live in, the fact that i am only exposed to people who are roughly in the same income level and education level as me and so on.
Clearly not so, I don't think my accusations are unfair at all. There is a whole internet out there and your excuse is lack of contact with people of a different station or locality? We see how you are, you don't listen to people, you think you don't need an education but the lack of is glaring at every step.

I'm showing examples of music where very young people have ventured far outside their particular culture out of CURIOSITY and were able to place themselves in eg,, Berklee not necessarily because of their advantage but because of their accomplishment.
I was able to go to another place far from home and have contact with people outside of my milieu because of agency enough to. So you have nothing but excuses.
A problem arose when you pretended to make statements about 'modernity' and even DEFINE it according to a small slice of what you're familiar with, only. This is not good. You found the opportunity to do it dismissing what someone else said who knows more, 'either you are open-minded or you aren't'.

And you don't even seem to know the music of the people you said "DEFINE MODERNITY" since at least one of them makes melody-based pop music. The whole thing to fight for was your notion that "modern people" don't care about melody or learning music in order to diss what I said - "that's only your age speaking" - and this open-minded fallacy. Well, maybe you showed something which only proves my point:
I don't think it's very good because it's a pure copy of things which already exist, but that's a bit of a digression.

You're in contact with people that aren't limited to your education level but you won't learn a thing from the experience. That's not the fault of your socioeconomics or outside you at all.
Last edited by jancivil on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It seems these modes are what I was sort of looking for. Would I be correct in suggesting that the melody and the harmony can be somewhat detached using modes, for example, one of those ice-cream changes you mention could played in Aeolian under a melody in phyrigian?

The true beautiful music that I hear doesn't appear to be coming from music written in standard keys, even borrowed chords aren't really doing it for me.

I wonder what this piece is written in for example. I'm off to find the sheet music for it, but I've always wondered what that 'stress' point is in a melody, what interval it is, but perhaps it's not based on an a static interval at all, but rather, on the contrast between the 'tonic' of the harmony in a major or minor key, against another tonic of the mode that the melody suggests?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq4yE_j3Vuk

telecode wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:20 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:49 pm regards the drake, maybe hes an exception, but like jayz as much as they have made from being artists, the majority of their income comes from being shrewd business men, same with p diddy. its a little unfair to bring outside business interests in, no one said kurt "massive heroin habit" cobain had any money sense...
Nirvana and grunge are a very interesting example. i was a member of the "current" "modern" "young" "record buying" "music concert goer" demographic when nirvana and perl jam and grunge were big in early 90s. They were mainstream acts from the US as far as i and the people i hung out with in Toronto were concerned. Only teeny bopers listened to them and metal heads listened to soundgarden and temple of the dog. We listened to what we considered the "real" alternative music which was Nick Cave, Pixies, NIN, Sisters of Mercy and so on. I think the Hollywoodization of grunge and the Reality Bites film (which I do recall watching in 1st run theatres and enjoying) pretty much destroyed all changes of grunge ever entering the "real alternative" scene (where I was located anyways.) :-)
or what i called "genres going to the mainstream to die"
so you argued against me but ended in agreement...

Life is an elaborate arpeggio.
Music is a fine Merlot.
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Stamped Records wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:23 pm It seems these modes are what I was sort of looking for. Would I be correct in suggesting that the melody and the harmony can be somewhat detached using modes, for example, one of those ice-cream changes you mention could played in Aeolian under a melody in phyrigian?
The whole dominant-tonic aspect tends to ruin modes. Certainly Aeolian doesn't contain it.
I vi IV V turns around to I.

Less chords is more in terms of modes.
For Mixolydian, I and VII really does the trick. IE: you have D as I, C is VII.

Dorian may be brought out by i to IV: Gm to C; C carrying the 6th of the set, E pertaining to G which is the character of Dorian (minor 3 but a major 6).

BERFAB wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:26 pm Music is a fine Merlot.
even nickelback?

Nickelback is the Republican's answer to rock/HPC thread

Personally I think Nirvana and all that shit sucked :P
Last edited by jancivil on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jancivil wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:03 pm
telecode wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:17 amlast time i checked, a college education is
I implied something about yours. Mine didn't come from college, past the 'Applied Music' which meant playing an instrument for a grade, and the Honors curriculae in theory and history. I dropped out of the history bit. I dropped out of fecking high school for that matter, testing out with what I knew by the 6th grade. However I studied constantly throughout my life in the library all the time. I wrote a graduate level paper at CCM for an A- as a sophomore. People are free to self-educate. I think it can be good to present and be graded but I didn't really gravitate to the need to write for a doctorate. Advanced degrees are a product really of a self-starter, the degree happens when you have a defensible argument which is thorough enough.

You lack education because you lack the capacity to self-critique, you come in thinking you are competitive but have NO ideas, just a lot of snark. We can see by your reference to your own history you aren't a juvenile, but your total lack of content and awareness makes you look just as on top of things as the most arrogant petulant dull jr high student in the world.
You don't have a defensible anything to present. You aren't saving face by continuing to posture, exactly the opposite.
You don't have the self-awareness to know to be embarrassed.
your issue is a little simpler than mine. you don't have perspective. thats the problem with dropping out and being self taught in life. you won't see the big ticking bomb thats hidden just below the surface because you have yet to step on it.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

IncarnateX wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:09 pm
telecode wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:48 pm Yeah, I liked LSD
There it was. A little too much, maybe.
beh, I took acid all the time for years
I aced my theory final while blazing

in interest of transparency, I was in fact dinged the 4 pts for Mozart fifths. If I knew of that I will have lobbied for a perfect score.
Last edited by jancivil on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jancivil wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:35 pm Personally I think Nirvana and all that shit sucked :P
i on the other hand enjoyed some of it, not all, but as mentioned my true focus was far heavier.
bolt thrower ftw! :band2:

Return to “Music Theory”