Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The Telecaster is a "twang" guitar. Players like Danny Gatton, Steve Cropper, James Burton et la... I personally love the humbucker sound and loved the classic Keef when I was younger -- humbucker in the neck - and the sounds on those Stones records...

but I have found over time, I have gone back to liking the instrument for what it was originally designed to do... that treble twang with the right effects will cut through the low end coming from the bass and drums in a live setting like nothing else and will make you stand out in the sound..

I have an American sunburst standard from the early 90s and I picked up a Mexican made special black edition a few years ago. Surprisingly the Mexican made one is actually not half bad. It's miles better craftmanship than the make in China and made in Indonesia ones. Those Mexicans really know what they are doing.

The malay backwood I am still on the fence about. I really liked the look of it when I first saw it posted. Then starting thinking, maybe it's too "jazz" and not enough "rock & roll".. Still thinking about it though.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

It was Keef that made me think about the humbucker in the neck.

I think Keef's Telecaster Custom was built to his specs, and I think he changed out the neck humbucker for a PAF (along with only having 5 strings on it).

The other thing I considered is putting a Seymour Duncan P-Rail in the neck position along with a 3-way switch for it. Have to do some research on the wiring for that though, and maybe drop a stacked single coil into the bridge position while I'm at it (might also make the wiring easier as they'll both use the same pickup selector switch).
Sweet child in time...

looks like he thinks hes playing a theremin.

Deep Purple wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:01 pm It was Keef that made me think about the humbucker in the neck.

I think Keef's Telecaster Custom was built to his specs, and I think he changed out the neck humbucker for a PAF (along with only having 5 strings on it).

The other thing I considered is putting a Seymour Duncan P-Rail in the neck position along with a 3-way switch for it. Have to do some research on the wiring for that though, and maybe drop a stacked single coil into the bridge position while I'm at it (might also make the wiring easier as they'll both use the same pickup selector switch).
Given the amount of money the Stones make on touring, I should think he can afford custom build stuff up the kazoo.

I used to play in very loud Rock bands and replaced pretty much all the pickups of my Strats and others with SD stacked humbuckers or Pearly Gates. The SD's really change the entire sound of the guitar. I left the Mexican one as is. It's got a bit of single coil buzz but actually not that bad. Nowhere near as crazy buzz as my AVRI 62 Strat -- which is pretty much useless in a live setting. The only thing I can use it for is recording in quiet environments.

I always liked the look and sound of the P-90s but dont have any with them. and the sound on some of the Gibsons I have tried was really amazing. There was this amazing sounding Gibson custom shop goldtop P90 I tried a long time ago. Wayy out of my budget, but it was the smoothest thing I every heard and tried.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

In my younger years I had no issue selling an older guitar to finance another one. These days I'd rather keep them around.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

Deep Purple wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:01 pm It was Keef that made me think about the humbucker in the neck.

I had the exact year and model as Kieth's for years until it got stolen and someone who I was very close to growing up had the same one as well. My friend's was less than 50 numbers from mine, I bought mine in Texas and he bought his in NH. 72 black tele customs, with the chrome humbucker in the neck. (that guitar got stolen but not until I modded it to something unreal)

About p-rails, it's kind of a coincidence because to build my baritone I actually started by buying a squire black tele custom and getting the baritone neck from warmoth. It stayed as a tele for a couple of years as I tried different pup combos, I settled on a jb jr in the middle and in the neck and bridge p-rails then I got a custom body. I like the p-rails, wiring is easy but in my baritone they are lower output than the jb jr (which is wired series/split/parallel).
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I only recently found out that Tom Morello almost exclusively uses the neck pup on his Tele and on his "Arm The Homeless" guitar. The latter actually has a single coil under the HB size cover. Here I was thinking it was just me who liked Tele neck pickups :)

Hink wrote:About p-rails, it's kind of a coincidence because to build my baritone I actually started by buying a squire black tele custom and getting the baritone neck from warmoth. It stayed as a tele for a couple of years as I tried different pup combos, I settled on a jb jr in the middle and in the neck and bridge p-rails then I got a custom body. I like the p-rails, wiring is easy but in my baritone they are lower output than the jb jr (which is wired series/split/parallel).
Is that because the JB Jr. is hot wired, or because the output from the P-Rails is lower than you expected?
Sweet child in time...

Deep Purple wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:22 am
Hink wrote:About p-rails, it's kind of a coincidence because to build my baritone I actually started by buying a squire black tele custom and getting the baritone neck from warmoth. It stayed as a tele for a couple of years as I tried different pup combos, I settled on a jb jr in the middle and in the neck and bridge p-rails then I got a custom body. I like the p-rails, wiring is easy but in my baritone they are lower output than the jb jr (which is wired series/split/parallel).
Is that because the JB Jr. is hot wired, or because the output from the P-Rails is lower than you expected?
well I think in order to balance the tones of the p-rails it has to be lower output, it's alright though because I slapped a trimpot on the jr which also mellowed it out some :tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I'm thinking maybe putting a P-Rails in the neck position and replacing the standard bridge pickup with a stacked vintage. I use my volume and tone a lot while I'm playing, so I'm not too concerned about any slight mismatching.

How did you wire the P-Rails? I'm still wondering whether I should try to get the rails in parallel or just go for a 3-way sound. I looked at Triple Shots, but think they might be a bit fiddly, so want to think about a 3-way DPDT switch for the P-Rails. Hopefully it will be pretty easy to wire - I'm assuming a 500k pot for the P-Rails?
Sweet child in time...

telecode wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:18 pm I always liked the look and sound of the P-90s but dont have any with them. and the sound on some of the Gibsons I have tried was really amazing. There was this amazing sounding Gibson custom shop goldtop P90 I tried a long time ago. Wayy out of my budget, but it was the smoothest thing I every heard and tried.
+1
The last band I was in a few years ago, we auditioned another guitarist, he used a Gibson Les Paul Studio with P90's, he also borrowed a Marshall solid state combo from the rehearsal room. I thought it sounded fantastic.
His guitar cut through amazingly well.

For real? what's the deal? A Gibson guitar sub £500? The tuning system would have to go.

I've often thought of a custom wiring with 2 circuits on one guitar, switchable via a pull/push tone pot.
Four SC sized PUP's fitted in the spaces for 2 HB's, if that makes sense.
One circuit with stacked PAF, with series/parallel spilts via 2 volume pots with pull/push.
Second circuit with 2 SC's 2 P90's, switch to this circuit via tone pot push/pull.
Is this possible?
2 guitars in 1.
Last edited by The Noodlist on Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

telecode wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:45 pm I have an American sunburst standard from the early 90s and I picked up a Mexican made special black edition a few years ago. Surprisingly the Mexican made one is actually not half bad. It's miles better craftmanship than the make in China and made in Indonesia ones. Those Mexicans really know what they are doing.
Trump will propose build a wall around you. Soundproof. You pay. :lol:
"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not too sure."
Checkout my blog: VST Plugins Free Download.

The Noodlist wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:35 pm I've often thought of a custom wiring with 2 circuits on one guitar, switchable via a pull/push tone pot.
Four SC sized PUP's fitted in the spaces for 2 HB's, if that makes sense.
One circuit with stacked PAF, with series spilts via 2 volume pots with pull/push.
Second circuit with 2 SC's 2 P90's, switch to this circuit via tone pot push/pull.
Is this possible?
2 guitars in 1.

Also, would a Strat sound like a Tele with a 1Meg volume pot, etc?
Maybe a Semour Duncan Twang Banger.
Sorry I'm a broken record and can't hardly play guitar but some of the three pickup firebirds are factory wired "in that ballpark". It is weird because (so far as I can tell) some firebirds were wired simple with few options and some wired with more options, even among the 3 pickup models. And one or more Epiphone firebirds of the past arguably had smarter wiring design than some of the gibsons.

I like the tone and variety of the mini humbuckers.

But something that seems to me a firebird on steroids is a schecter ultra III. Several good YouTube demos. Three pickup coil tappable mini humbuckers with 3 retro slide switches for any combination of the pickups in HB or SC mode. To my ear incredibly flexible tone.

Am afraid if I keep thinking about a red ultra III will get crazy and actually buy one.

The only "good" guitar I have is a first year vintage Parker nitefly which is like a "real precision fat strat". HB on bridge, SC on middle and neck, acoustic guitar under-bridge piezo pickup. Stays in tune forever, perfect neck with "immortal" stainless steel frets. Strat style 5 way knife switch.

But the bridge pickup can't be split so it can do some gibsony lead tones at the expense of missing out on some strat SC bridge pickup twang.

So I like the Parker especially being so feeble playing guitar but that ultra III or even a fancy wired firebird would have a wider sound palette.

telecode wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:45 pm I have an American sunburst standard from the early 90s and I picked up a Mexican made special black edition a few years ago. Surprisingly the Mexican made one is actually not half bad. It's miles better craftmanship than the make in China and made in Indonesia ones. Those Mexicans really know what they are doing.
They have greatly improved the MIM stuff.
I recall playing a friends new MIM Strat he'd just purchased in the mid 90's, the neck and setup was truly appalling. The neck felt like a lump of 4x2.
Quality control must improved.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

i bet these are fairly light...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”