BlueCat add pickup/acoustic modeling to Axiom, the ampsim extraordinaire!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Axiom Re-Guitar

The idea is interesting. Particularly the thought of going from acoustic to electric or vice versa (I can't imagine I wouldn't just mic up an actual acoustic if going to be used in a mix, but maybe for sketching). I guess the idea is kind of similar to a Line6 Vari-Ax (or whatever it's called)?

Haven't heard any audio yet and that will make or break my interest in this, but I'm definitely intrigued. I recently got Axiom and love how different it is from any other amp sims out there. Once you start to get the hang of it and treat it as it's own unique thing and not just a traiditional amp sim, it really comes to life. Very innovative product.

Thanks for mentioning our Re-Guitar plug-in!
Particularly the thought of going from acoustic to electric or vice versa
At this stage, it actually only supports electric guitar tones as input. Maybe we will add specific acoustics input in the future, but it is a rather complex thing, as there are so many ways of miking/recording them!
Once you start to get the hang of it and treat it as it's own unique thing and not just a traditional amp sim, it really comes to life. Very innovative product.
:tu:

We'll see about that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

While Re-Guitar is being finalized, we have posted a few Re-Guitaring videos on our blog, check them out!

Also, the online manual is available, if you want to know more about it!

While I am sure this is novel and interesting I can use Cytomic the Drop/EQ and filter my guitar to new sounds as well. Ease of use is always king though

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:42 am Thanks for mentioning our Re-Guitar plug-in
At this stage, it actually only supports electric guitar tones as input. Maybe we will add specific acoustics input in the future, but it is a rather complex thing, as there are so many ways of miking/recording them!
If you guys can make this work on piezo pickups in acoustic guitars you would have the eternal gratitude of legions of audio engineers that have make these bloody horrible inventions sound usable. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make it work!!!

jbarish wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:32 am If you guys can make this work on piezo pickups in acoustic guitars you would have the eternal gratitude of legions of audio engineers that have make these bloody horrible inventions sound usable. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make it work!!!
We'll have a look at it for V2!

And here is one more "Re-guitaring" video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjMUXQkSoZY

Now coming soon!

jbarish wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:32 am
Blue Cat Audio wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:42 am Thanks for mentioning our Re-Guitar plug-in
If you guys can make this work on piezo pickups in acoustic guitars you would have the eternal gratitude of legions of audio engineers that have make these bloody horrible inventions sound usable. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make it work!!!
You can get a bit of a better tone using convolution responses of acoustic guitars like those from 3sigma audio, but still not ideal. You're always going to miss the sound of plectrum/fingers on strings which you get by mic'ing up though, so if there's some way to effectively emulate this..count me in...

2 questions,

Does it work with any signal and whats the result like for unconventional use, like piano/synth sounds.

Do you specify the input guitar pickup type in the plugin or is that detected by the software? Or another alternative...

We haven't tried on synth sounds but it already gives interesting results on bass guitar. It could indeed be interesting to try it out on weird sounds too :-).

You can specify the input pickup type and there is a quick pickup calibration procedure as explained in the manual. You may want to adjust settings to your taste anyway!

donkey tugger wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:16 am You're always going to miss the sound of plectrum/fingers on strings which you get by mic'ing up though, so if there's some way to effectively emulate this..count me in...
Indeed, that's the kind of things that is pretty hard to emulate. I have not tried it yet but it could be interesting to capture those noises(from the solid body) with a microphone and mix it with the emulated acoustic tone and see if it sounds better.

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:16 am
donkey tugger wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:16 am You're always going to miss the sound of plectrum/fingers on strings which you get by mic'ing up though, so if there's some way to effectively emulate this..count me in...
Indeed, that's the kind of things that is pretty hard to emulate. I have not tried it yet but it could be interesting to capture those noises(from the solid body) with a microphone and mix it with the emulated acoustic tone and see if it sounds better.
I do this already when recording using the acoustic sounds on my Variax - mic up the unplugged guitar as well and mix a bit of it in. Even just adding a little bit adds tons more realism. Still not 100% but I've used it in tracks for rhythm acoustic when recording at night, and have sometimes left in later rather than re-record with a real acoustic. What I've found sounds best is if you stick the mic a bit further back than you would if you're recording an acoustic normally, and also angle it further away from the pickups/strumming hand, and more towards the neck than you usually would, otherwise you do tend to get a lot of clicking transients rather than a balanced strumming sound. All good fun!

Edit - here's an example, basic strumming 4 times round - first time with DI and mic, then just DI, then just mic, then together again;

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/variax.mp3

Definitely adds a lot. Anyhow, looking forward to trying the plug-in... :D

:tu:

Sounds neat! I wonder how touch sensitive it is and if its dynamic.

Return to “Effects”