How does MIDI Learn in a synth work?

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey all,

I'm trying to write a script for the Korg NanoKontrol2 (I know one already exists, but I'm looking to learn how it all works while also attempting to add some features that aren't there at the moment) and I can't seem to understand how MIDI Learn in a synth, that is right click in Serum and select MIDI Learn as an example, works.

Randomly experimenting has got me to the point where I've worked out it's related to createNoteInput, but I'm wondering if there's any way to control it better. For instance, can I stop the messages being sent in one "mode" and allow them to be sent in another? Is there any way for me to see the messages that go straight out to the application?

Any info anyone could provide would be great.

Thanks

shaboogen wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:30 am Hey all,

I'm trying to write a script for the Korg NanoKontrol2 (I know one already exists, but I'm looking to learn how it all works while also attempting to add some features that aren't there at the moment) and I can't seem to understand how MIDI Learn in a synth, that is right click in Serum and select MIDI Learn as an example, works.

Randomly experimenting has got me to the point where I've worked out it's related to createNoteInput, but I'm wondering if there's any way to control it better. For instance, can I stop the messages being sent in one "mode" and allow them to be sent in another? Is there any way for me to see the messages that go straight out to the application?

Any info anyone could provide would be great.

Thanks
Have you watched by development tutorials?
viewtopic.php?f=268&t=515602

moss wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:02 am Have you watched by development tutorials?
Yeah, I've watched up until you switched to Java. I don't remember this point being covered specifically, unless I missed something.

shaboogen wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:22 am
moss wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:02 am Have you watched by development tutorials?
Yeah, I've watched up until you switched to Java. I don't remember this point being covered specifically, unless I missed something.
In Part VII I talk about how to implement Modes. MIDI filtering should be in Part 4 or 5.

moss wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:31 am In Part VII I talk about how to implement Modes. MIDI filtering should be in Part 4 or 5.
As I've said, I've watched both of those videos already, and neither of them really answers my question.

I'm currently filtering B????? which sends CC messages straight out into Bitwig. This allows them to be used to learn parameters in synths directly as opposed to through Bitwig (which is key to be able to save default MIDI maps in things like Serum).

I'm not having trouble setting up alternate modes as I have a working knowledge of programming fundamentals, but I'm wondering whether the note input can be controlled after it's been set up given that It can't be be called again outside of the init function. You can set whether the actions should consume events after the init function, but doing that basically shuts the script off (for me anyway).

shaboogen wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:56 am I'm currently filtering B????? which sends CC messages straight out into Bitwig. This allows them to be used to learn parameters in synths directly as opposed to through Bitwig (which is key to be able to save default MIDI maps in things like Serum).
Ah, I see. I guess you are running into a long standing bug: https://github.com/teotigraphix/Framewo ... /issues/95

moss wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:35 pm Ah, I see. I guess you are running into a long standing bug: https://github.com/teotigraphix/Framewo ... /issues/95
So you're saying that the bug prevents you from being able to use MIDI learn without a note input being present?

Sorry, I'm not really understanding that bug description.

shaboogen wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:27 pm
moss wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:35 pm Ah, I see. I guess you are running into a long standing bug: https://github.com/teotigraphix/Framewo ... /issues/95
So you're saying that the bug prevents you from being able to use MIDI learn without a note input being present?

Sorry, I'm not really understanding that bug description.
When you try to learn a midi CC controller through a script/extension it does not work.

moss wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:37 pm When you try to learn a midi CC controller through a script/extension it does not work.
Cool, thanks for the explanation.

I'll go in a different direction until it's fixed, appreciate your time.

Return to “Controller Scripting”