Zawinul synths

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

He was a big Korg user. Some of his gear can be seen in this rehearsal footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcqQ1pYWtlM

Zawinul's Dialects is one of the best album to come out of the 80's. It's also one of the best synth albums. I don't think I have ever heard another synth album groove so wickedly.
No signature here!

+ million 1

So from the video above:
Master keyboard - SCI Prophet T8
On top of that is Rhodes Chroma Polaris
Drums and Percussion come from Korg DDM-110 and DDM-220
On the left top Korg DW-8000 and under that SCI Prophet 5
Under P5 is ARP Sequencer
On the floor there's Moog Taurus pedals
The vocoder is most likely Korg VC-10 which he is know to use a lot about that time
Can't tell what's on the right side. There's a small synth on the floor that looks like Korg MS20 but is not. There's also couple of synths in the back that are hard to tell.

Later of course he used other Korg synths extensively and also a Nord Lead.
No signature here!

Great thread. I've seen him only once perfoming live but I was one of just a few folks who couldn't help it but danced away right in front of the stage and I'll never forget the ongoing intense eye contact I had with him.
BTW, I'm staying at a hotel right now and there's another guy from Vienna who managed concerts there in the 80s and 90s and knew Joe personally from many occasions ... small world :)

robotmonkey wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:47 pm
Zawinul's Dialects is one of the best album to come out of the 80's. It's also one of the best synth albums. I don't think I have ever heard another synth album groove so wickedly.
He was a very innovative musician for the work he did solo, with Miles Davis, Weather Report, etc..
Oddly, he doesn't get the recognition as a synth player as often as deserved.

PatchAdamz wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:40 am
robotmonkey wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:47 pm
He was a very innovative musician for the work he did solo, with Miles Davis, Weather Report, etc..
Oddly, he doesn't get the recognition as a synth player as often as deserved.
I think this is because he has always been mainly a keyboard player in a jazz/fusion band and not a synthezist in the proper sense of the word (like someone like Larry Fast, for example). Dialects is kind of odd record in his catalog in a way that it was purely a solo record with only synths, samplers and drum machine programming by Zawinul himself. Though Weather Report's This is This (the above video is from those sessions) was also kind of synth heavy and somewhat similar to Dialects, it was still a jazz band album. Dialects on the other hand was purely an "electronic" album with Zawinul doing everything himself (except some additional vocal snippets and samples). After Dialects his output was again more traditional jazz band oriented.
No signature here!

Return to “Instruments”