How on earth to make this bass sound

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1k2pOLF90fe

what the hell is that wobble sound? Any ideas on how to go about recreating this?

Here is the sound isolated:

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1QfSZhyYTwy

I can make wobbles but not as 'screamy' as this...what makes this so high pitched and raspy?

thompson wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:12 pm...what makes this so high pitched and raspy?
high filter resonance and saturation?

OK this isn't gonna sound exact or anything cause the slightest difference in making a wobble will completely change the sound. Even the processing of it

https://instaud.io/3jS3/delete/8487af2d ... 9fd4653881

Mixed it into the song to show that it would kinda fit.

It's made in Sytrus though but any synth that can do a little FM will work.
There's not much FM but just a little to give it a bit of extra grit

Then added some FX
phaser - just to give it a little movement.
EQ filters out the mids
OTT gives it a little clarity
Clipper
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

Good effort but this wobble screams way more... like a knife cutting quality to it

yeah I set it to a level where I liked it. A little more resonance and/or a little more range on the envelope will give more grit to the sound.
bear in mind Ive no distortion on it at all apart from a little clipping.

Anyway all I used here was a saw and a square sent both to a filter that gives it a quick filter wobble and volume as well. then only FM'd the saw a little bit.

You can go way beyond this and add more FM operators etc.
I did that in 5 mins or so.

If you have sytrus I can post the preset and show the FX settings but if you don't have it there's no point I guess.

Wobble's are not my strong suit and Ive not spend any real time making them but there are 100s of YT videos so that might be a good help.

GL

Wait did you recreate the entire loop or just that sound that plays after?

hahahaha no you hear just a small part of the loop then I added my "replica" along with it two times and then solo at the end

Had to do it again cause I didn't save it. so this will probably sound a little different again

https://instaud.io/3jVP/delete/d59f772c ... 37c0266bd7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Try an amp and speaker simulator and layer a simple sine or an 808 under it. That rip sound is usually a resonant peak in a fixed formant of some kind. I use voxengo boogeyman for this sort of stuff often. The speaker IRs are helpful in making the sound “sharp” like that.
Last edited by Ah_Dziz on Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Not tailored to your exact example. But the way to go for this and similar sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgjGr-ua0Nc

For the “exact” sound you should be looking for videos from the artist about what they use etc. it does sound far more like an old drum and bass sound than a “wobble” of the sort you hear in more current productions. It definitely has two “layers” one that’s heavily processed and one that is a relatively clean bass. I would be not so surprised if it was just a sample from a construction kit chopped and rearranged. You’ll definitely want distortion and a lfo on the filter or amplitude going into the distortion on the higher portion of the sound. Then you might want to try a variety of fixed filters, (formant banks, allpass filters, complex IRs) and then get the rhythm right from there. Is there a reason you need a sound that already exists and has been used already? You can make millions of quite similar sounds quite simply if you wish to. I didn’t know if your making a cover version or something.

Although I have a lot of respect for SeamlessR and I think he's obviously incredibly talented, I just can't listen to his videos. He tends to incoherent rambling, and I wish he would blow his nose sometime for crying out loud, he always sounds so congested.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:51 pm Is there a reason you need a sound that already exists and has been used already? You can make millions of quite similar sounds quite simply if you wish to. I didn’t know if your making a cover version or something.
Noone ever uses sounds that have been used before? Tell that to Martin Garrix. I want to recreate it as a sound design challenge. I can make various wubs and wobbles, but can't figure out what makes this particular wobble screech

Just curious. I don’t often use/ go after “exact sounds”. I do get inspired by sounds and will end up with something similar. Did you try the speaker sim setup? A nice fixed formant over some distorted sine, triangle or saw can get you pretty close with just volume modulation.

Also a comb filter can give you a nice formant sound (really just a bunch of peaks and valleys in your spectrum) and then you have far more control of the mix. Melda has a free one.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:16 pm Just curious. I don’t often use/ go after “exact sounds”. I do get inspired by sounds and will end up with something similar. Did you try the speaker sim setup? A nice fixed formant over some distorted sine, triangle or saw can get you pretty close with just volume modulation.
getting an exact sound requires a very high level of skill. Not saying I am anywhere near, but it's the end goal....Being able to hear anything and recreate it (that guy from Point Blank can do it). I actually got pretty close with Serum by modifying a tutorial on YouTube which had a similar sound...

Return to “Sound Design”