DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Yeah I did , seemed that I posted the same issue 3 years ago (for dune 2), I forgot all about it
VCurrently renoise development is at a halt due to the release of sononym ,
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I realy love the skin of this synth compare to DUNE 2.

Hi,

Having a great time programming DUNE 3, it sounds amazing !

Q. Is there a simple HOLD-ARP button, or function in DUNE 3 to keep an ARP running without having to hold the keys down ? If not, it would be very handy to have a HOLD-ARP button on the GUI to do that for ARP1 and ARP2 .

Thanks

Fantastic synth that sounds like hardware, and a total joy to program! Loving it here...

My take on a Dune 3 cinematic track...beware....weird...:)
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/dune-3-the-power

:love: :love: :love:
U N I S O N : shoegaze/electronic wall of sound with heavenly voice
https://soundcloud.com/weareunison / https://www.facebook.com/unison666 / https://weareunison.com/

kevinmac wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:53 pmFantastic synth that sounds like hardware, and a total joy to program! Loving it here...
Really? So you love the tiny controls inside the screen and the enormous ones outside? You love diving into a multi-layer preset to work out which layer is doing what? Honestly? I love the sounds DUNE can make but I absolutely hate programming it.
Last edited by BONES on Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

And I absolutely love programming Dune 3. Round and round we go......... :wheee:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

No, what you love is where you end up. You can't possibly make sounds in Hive, then go to DUNE and think the process is equally simple/straightforward. It just isn't. It is completely obvious that a lot of time, thought and effort went into making Hive's workflow pleasurable and none at all went into DUNE's interface/workflow. You use both, you can't possibly sit that and say that there isn't massive room for improvement in DUNE's UI, that it couldn't be ten times better than it is now.

I'll give you one really good example that came up just last night - you can't even see the name or number of the patch you are using if you are not on the "MAIN" tab of the central screen. I can't think of any other synth, except maybe the detestable Sylenth 1, that is so poorly designed.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I partially agree with BONES, programing in Dune 3 is not bad until you need use Mod Matrix.

Pro tip... you can check what patch you got loaded by playin the keys

no probs programming it here, its a breeze.

I really hope the next version of Dune (4th maybe!) will have a better design and workflow. The sound is great in version 3 but the workflow is messy without taking a real advantage from more elegant and powerful design.

For example, I hope in a future version to have instead of those 'crazy' layers, 3 engines of generating sound or just three layers every one has specific oscillators or kind of synthesis. All have 4 oscillators instead of 3 (or 3 + sub). The first layer has a VA engine while the 2nd is wavetable oscillators and lastly the third is FM with 4 operators (with fixed or flexible algorithms).

Of course I agree with Bones that the preset's navigation should be accessible when editing the various parameters. The central window needs to have fewer tabs and the mod matrix needs to be in another place. Anyway, the demo has expired and I'm still not convinced of the upgrade, so I will pass!

I dont find Matrix that troublesome, actually. Sure its not most intuitive, but i think its more because there is no Drag n Drop feature like most synths now has or some sort of mod to env lfo ect directly from the menu. Just imagine: remove drag and drop/ mod to env/lfo ect features from Serum, Hive, Synthmasters, Zebra 2 and you are left out basicly with same mod matrix.

Only thing i really dont like about Dune 3 is the browser and that it doesnt have even the most common feature like FAVORITE. Serum didnt had that at first but later on new browser appeared wich is a saver. Wish Synapse wouldnt be so stubborn and modernise the browser even at its simpliest.

On a more positive note....This might help those who are having trouble getting their heads around Dune 3's workflow:

We can look at D3 like 8 identical hardware synths in a Rack. In that rack are also 2 FX Modules and 2 Arp/Seq Modules. Then there is also a Mod Matrix unit.

You can route any of the 8 synths through either FX unit or both and you can route them through one of the Arp/Seq modules or you can bypass any of them altogether.

When presented in INIT mode D3 is a simple VA synth with one Osc set to a Saw wave and it's run through a LPF. Very simple, straight forward, and standard.

Each synth or layer can be VA, FM or Wavetable and most combinations if you use all three Osc's in each layer.

You can program some very nice patches without ever using more than one layer but you can also build sounds by adding layers and that's where D3 shines.

So if you break it down to its elements D3 is dead simple to program. :wink:

Now could there be improvements in the way the Layers are accessed or the visual representation of the Mod Matrix ? I suppose it could be improved for those who struggle with such things but these are features of convenience not features of function. In other words making the Mod Matrix bigger will not make D3 sound any different.

Would Drag and Drop Mod assignments be nice to have ? Sure but they would only make things easier not improve the sound one bit and so it goes with any of the features of convenience. Would a Layer Mixer be nice ? Certainly but again it's not adding anything new only making things a little easier. I'm not opposed to such features but they have a pretty low priority on my wish list as I prefer features that expand the range of sounds.

Bottom line is D3 is an awesome sounding synth that might require you to spend a little time with it to become comfortable....like any instrument.

Is there room for improvement ? Of course as I said earlier but since we don't know if Synapse plans on developing Dune to version 4 or on past its current version of 3.07 we can either enjoy it for what it is now or we can spend our time bitching about what it isn't.

Seems like a pretty simple choice to me..... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Instruments”