Can REAPER Really Do Anything Other DAWs Can Do?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

harryupbabble wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:39 am
The thread title is "Can REAPER Really Do Anything Other DAWs Can Do?"
and the answer to that is a resounding NO, as most people here will already know even if they don't like to admit it.
Say NO to CLAP!

jancivil wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:49 pm I doubt it has Time Warp, meaning the timeline can be warped while events remain stationary. Studio One 4 adopted this from Cubase recently.
Samplitude has this kind of feature. I'm not sure, but I doubt it.
You mean like warp grid? That's possible with SWS extensions.

https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/ ... d_with_SWS

How about edit mode in Cubase. If you move Audio, the video moves along with it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJIn23e6Aes

Also, an explorer type menu like Studio one from where you can drag and drop in just about anything...

While we're on the topic, Reaper could also use a facelift.

To be clear, I use Reaper almost exclusively right now.

jinotsuh wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:06 am
harryupbabble wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:39 am
and the answer to that is a resounding NO, as most people here will already know even if they don't like to admit it.
I mean, in a way... You can do it, but sometimes it just doesn't make any sense. I think reaper (at least for me) is one of the better runners up for the most stable and overall strong daws to perfectly fit the user that is using it in whatever he wants to do, on the other hand if you wish to do live performances or something esoteric like that I don't think it's that good of a choice as are the daws that were literally made to do it.

In my opinion, reaper is just rewarding to learn but I wouldn't try to make it do crap that is just mastered somewhere else, because the point of it is gonna get lost
:dog:

Satch1 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:01 am One thing Reaper can’t do AFAIK is separate automation accuracy from the buffer size. In FL Studio automation accuracy depends on the project PPQ setting. I think Reaper can do up to sample accurate for Vst3 and some Reaper parameters though.
Be very careful with this one as it causes in FL Studio much more hassle than it is worth...
It was just confirmed by the developers in the Looptalk, that this feature act like an oversampling of the whole engine... meaning that only at the lowest PPQ setting (96...10% of precision as other DAW´s working!!) it´s at "1x oversampling"... PPQ setting of 192 alreading uses double CPU for the whole engine etc...etc...etc...

Just in empty mode raising the PPQ from 96 to 960 (meaning FLS doing nothing) CPU load raises from initial 2% to 6%... with doing nothing!!!
Additionally it f*cks up the complete zoom behaviour...

axb312 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:29 amAlso, an explorer type menu like Studio one from where you can drag and drop in just about anything...
Media Explorer?

I should first mention that I absolutely love Reaper and it is undoubtedly the best DAW I have ever had the pleasure of working with. I'm often frustrated when working with other DAW's that aren't nearly as flexible or as powerful as Reaper in most respects. (Granted, anyone working in any DAW other than their primary one will probably tend to draw unfavorable comparisons, just based on familiarity and habit.) That being said, I do occasionally find features in other DAW's that make me a bit jealous (although obviously never enough to switch!). For example, I simple love how Live handles parallel processing within a single track by using Effect/Instrument Racks. I just think it's ingeniously simple and effective and just so easy to use. In Reaper you can basically do the same thing by playing around with plugin pin-connectors or setting up multiple sends, but it isn't nearly as elegant, and seems to me to consume more time than it's worth. So there you have it, Reaper isn't perfect! But it sure as hell is so much better than Live in so many other respects.

harryupbabble wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:39 am So again, what can anybody's DAW do that REAPER can't do?
There is no perfect DAW. There is no DAW that can do everything and do that as elegant as any other DAW. Every DAW has at least one really good thing that can not be done in such an elegant way in other DAWs.
Example: Studio One vs. Reaper. I'm S1 user, and Reaper is so powerful, that I'm envy to Reaper users, but Studio One can treat multiple Kontakt (or other VSTi) outputs as combined midi-audio channels without plugin-latency-compensation issues. S1 has ARA2 (integrated Melodyne), and unique console-shaper. These things can be important or not, it's subjective.

harryupbabble wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:40 pm I'm just terrible at using the right Google search words. I would never have thought of using the search words "pooled midi items". I forgot what search words I used but "pooled midi items" was definitely not the words.
Haha, you're not alone!

The same thing has very different names:
-----------------------------------------------------
Emagic Creator/Notator ----> Ghost copies
Emagic/Apple Logic ---> Alias copies
Steinberg Cubase ---> Shared copies
Reaper ---> Pooled copies
-----------------------------------------------------
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

harryupbabble wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:39 am This thread doesn't just have to be about that one "can REAPER do it?" curiosity that I had.

And not just FL Studio. All DAWs.
And not just that pattern-based thing that FL Studio can do. Anything.
Haa, yeah, this is your ultimate question? :?: :o

My rough answer is: Yes! If you include SWS-extensions and the
realm of scripts available - then yes, Reaper can do everything.

But ...

... in some exotic cases this might be cumbersome. And for the
daily work ergonomy is more important than having all capabilities
and every exotic feature.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

EvilDragon wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:35 am
jancivil wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:49 pm I doubt it has Time Warp, meaning the timeline can be warped while events remain stationary. Studio One 4 adopted this from Cubase recently.
Samplitude has this kind of feature. I'm not sure, but I doubt it.
You mean like warp grid? That's possible with SWS extensions.

https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/ ... d_with_SWS
That's the same idea, yes.

Antisha wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:08 pmExample: Studio One vs. Reaper. I'm S1 user, and Reaper is so powerful, that I'm envy to Reaper users, but Studio One can treat multiple Kontakt (or other VSTi) outputs as combined midi-audio channels without plugin-latency-compensation issues. S1 has ARA2 (integrated Melodyne), and unique console-shaper. These things can be important or not, it's subjective.
Reaper also has ARA2 implementation (in prereleases) - should be in official releases quite soon. Also, do note when you enable the feedback routing in Kontakt, it only disables PDC for the sends/receives that ARE in feedback. It doesn't kill PDC across the whole project. So if the plugins in the feedback loop don't add latency, there's no problem!

jancivil wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:34 pmThat's the same idea, yes.
Well there you have it - doubt dispelled! :)

EvilDragon wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:47 pm ... Also, do note when you enable the feedback routing in Kontakt, it only disables PDC for the sends/receives that ARE in feedback. It doesn't kill PDC across the whole project. So if the plugins in the feedback loop don't add latency, there's no problem!
But it´s anyway a PITA and no way close to the multitimbral workflow of Cubase or Studio One especially of the lack of relation between i.e. track routed to the instrument and opening it´s GUI...

There you have to a whole lot of hacks to make this happen...

I mean how many times do you have to set that up? Once and save it as a template?...

Fourstepper wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:40 pm I mean how many times do you have to set that up? Once and save it as a template?...
It is not about setting it up... it is about working with it... tons of unnecessary tracks, only linked with a send... always reach for the "original track" to be able to reach the instrument itself...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”