Any tips for vocals in techno? As my voice is shit

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Teksonik wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:41 am
vurt wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:43 pm just try anything and everything.
There is some solid advice. :hihi:
well we're in the effects section. so there is context, not to mention i also gave ideas.
the difficulty is if you dont know what you want to do, you are basically left trying stuff :shrug:

If you use Ableton Live, pitch your voice via the clip editor, try different algorithms. Soundtoys LittleAlterBoy is also a great VST for pitch shifting (and other stuff). Some of the Unfiltered Audio plugins are also pretty capable to make otherworldly voice samples.

Guitar pedals. Run ur voice thru a fuzz box and over drive, then put a granular delay, some verb, maybe a comb filter. But saturation, distortion then smear it with delays and reverb. Also get something like Meldas free auto tune and change the format, but not the pitch. Matter of fact I would just download Meldas whole free bundle and just start putting presets on ur voice from random plugins, like even things like they're band pass have crazy rhythmic presets then mix the dry back in. The key is in making layers, then panning them and mixing them in.

vurt wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:37 am
Teksonik wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:41 am
vurt wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:43 pm just try anything and everything.
There is some solid advice. :hihi:
well we're in the effects section. so there is context, not to mention i also gave ideas.
the difficulty is if you dont know what you want to do, you are basically left trying stuff :shrug:
Hey like I said it's solid advice. You can copy/paste it in every thread where someone is asking for advice. "Try anything and everything". Job done. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Thanks everyone.

I'm in the same boat. No matter what plugins you throw on my voice or how many of them it's not going to help. :lol:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Have you thought about singing lessons? If you call around and tell coaches what you want, you’ll soon find out if they’re the right coach for you
Sweet child in time...

Get on a coach and tell the driver what you want. Telling the coach what you want will be a waste of time imho.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

:lol:

How intricate are these lyrics?
I'd say just practice. You are probably looking at a few seconds worth of lyrics, so practice, record, listen. Practice, record, listen. Then when you feel you are close to a good delivery, record it 10 times in the DAW, find the one that sounds best, process with Melodyne. Now you have 1 decent performance.

The second time gets easier. By the 20th time you go through this process you'll start liking how your voice turns out :D

Most people dislike the sound of their own voice in playback, so it's likely you'll have a negative opinion of your voice regardless of objective sonic qualities. So there's a good chance your voice is quite OK. If not, there's loads of people who can't sing that do vocals, especially now with autotune. Even without going that route you could try a vocoder, or just talk the lyrics as if it were sampled movie dialog. So long as you're not trying to sound like Pavarotti or Dame Joan Sutherland there's bound to be some technique that'll fit.

When I really want to sing on a track, despite having a terrible voice, I do it like this:

Sing the whole song one time through for reference. Now work on recording individual phrases one at a time. I’ll put it on loop and record a single phrase ten times or more, until I come up with the best performance I can, then move on to the next phrase. Now edit all the best takes into a single composite track. After that, it’s time for further editing in Melodyne.

If you’re going for a more auto tuned or vocoded sound, Melodyne is great for the former. Izotope Vocalsynth 2 is a good all around synthetic voice processor, because you can easily blend multiple effect types into a single layered style.

Sonic Charge Bitspeek is great for giving your voice the Speak&Spell effect.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Find a girlfriend who can sing ?

he can have mine.
but her 18 year old son is annoying as f**k.

Return to “Effects”