Which VST Synths to Buy for EDM?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It really all depends on what sort of sound you are aiming for, but ultimately they will all do the job. What sort of "EDM" are you aiming towards because that's a pretty huge spectrum of sound?

I own all three and use them for different purposes but I will say that serum is more intuative and visual than the other two you mentioned so it might help you grasp things if your not familiar with synths.

Id suggest to just download the demos in any case and you'll get a feel for which one feels right. The full version of serum is also on splice for 9.99 a month(as a rent to own) if your not aware.

Serum or Pigments.. You don't need many synths, just one versatile enough.

Synthmaster is also something to consider, but demo it first if it's for you.

The ones discussed in this forum. viewforum.php?f=1
AMD Ryzen 3900X & RX 5700XT, 128GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Waldorf Blofeld & Pulse 2, Akai MAX49 & MPD226, Steinberg UR44 & CMC controllers
Cubase Pro 13, Nuendo 13, Wavelab Pro 12, Dorico Pro 5, Rapid Composer v5, FL Studio 21

If you could be more specific about your needs and preferences, we could give better advice.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I'm into EDM and think the very best are Avenger and Rapid. I also love Spire, Dune, Falcon and Thorn.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Get Spire. It's my favourite for EDM type sounds. Punchy and pleasant sounding. There's also a gazillion of EDM Soundsets for it.

Serum is probably the Best of the 3 you mentioned. Now I love Sylenth1, It was one of the first VSTs i ever bought and I self Taught myself most Sound Design with it, so it holds a special place in my heart, but its not as flexible as Serum is. Serum is a Monster
And like you mentioned Massive is being replaced, Not until June however.

Now Speaking of Monsters I also Love UVI Falcon but that is pricey and NOT a good first synth. It's like learning to swim in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. I consider myself decently smart in Synthesis and I haven't even unlocked the Full Plugin yet as far as what one can accomplish with it. If you learned it however it Literally does almost everything.

Also Have you thought of some of the FL synths. I haven't used FL for songs In a bit, But I still actually have some of their Plugins on Mac like Sawer and Toxic. I used to Love using Sytris too and would pay up if they made a standalone Mac Version. Never got to Buy Harmor but many people love that synth too for its unique additive flavor. Just a few ideas. Most VST synths have trials so test up before bringing out the wallet.
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

Sylenth, Serum, Spire. Tons of great EDM presets for all 3.
Nexus for rompler. Expansions are $60, but there are lods of pro quality out-of-the-box pro sounds with minimal to no tweaking required.
Avenger is very solid, but I sold it because I didn't have a place for it beside the other 4 mentioned above.

Wrong forum.

Get Omnisphere 2

Zebra will do 90% of any synth things you need. Then something a bit more strange like serum or komplete or an additive synth. Also look at microtonic or drumatic for drums.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Sylenth, Spire, Serum.

Massive, Hive, Omnisphere, Nexus, Dune and so on...

Might be an unpopular opinion, but, stick with one synth and try to master it. In the long run, I think you're better off being able to make unique sounds quickly and confidently in one synth, rather than using presets from multiple synths. Obviously there comes a point where you'll want to branch out, which is totally fine. But, it is probably in your best interest to learn how to use one synth extremely well first.

As far as versatility and relevancy moving forward in the EDM world, I'd say Serum is easily one of the smartest choices you can make at the moment.
Last edited by Vanderspank on Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OP never got back to this. As usual. :lol:

Serum for ease of use, Korg Legacy Collection for vintage vibes.

Return to “Effects”