Why use emulations of classic analogue synths---is it just nostalgia?...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The secret is hidden within the man bun. Seek it out and all shall be revealed.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

IncarnateX wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:18 amThus, I admit I find the Boog’s sound very yummy, but not to an extent where its lack of patch recall is preferable to making the same type of sounds in synths with recall. Pragmatics rule after all.
I’m in agreement, but I’ve also found that there’s a happy medium between a Model D (by Moog or its usurpers) and a Bass Station 2 (which I think is a fantastic instrument in it’s own right, but not very Moogish.) One can get close with a Voyager and have recall. Too expensive? I get really great Moog style sounds from my ATC-X, and now that they’ve released a control app, it’s easy to think of as an amazing sounding plugin. Speaking of plugin, Legend. Cheap as chips and holds it’s own against my hardware analogs and then some. Buy Syntronik and you can have a wealth of classic sounds at your fingertips with very authentic sound, though at the price of not having full editing control. What I’m saying is that there is something for everyone, from the OG hardware to sweet sounding ROMplers.

Welcome to post-modernism. Synths are old hat now. My mom could put one on her phone. Only “modern” sounding in the sense that they can be in a retro-modern way. Put your Model D though Reaktor’s Molekular and make something. Run your plugins through your original Model D. Put a urinal in an art show and sign a fake name to it. I’m glad developers are still trying to nail the sound of the classics. They’re classics because they stood the test of time. Nostalgia can play a part of that, but things that weren’t really great in the first place may make it back “in style” for a short period of time, but quickly fade. I don’t see something like a Model D fading anymore than I can see Fender Stratocastors or good pianos going out of style. Of course, the music that is made with those instruments changes a lot over time.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I really don't care what anyone else does, but the incessant 'the moog hasn't even a proper filter', that bit for WEEKS now, come on, try on a new routine for the act, it's not playing so well out here.

I choose things for the sound. I know I have said this already, if not in this very thread, but I got ahold of the Arturia MM emulation when it was released for free. I thought it was ok but it seemed slightly slow to me and I think most people know what that means (hint: filter).
I don't think anyone is an idiot for liking it, but I never used it and finally deleted it. I eventually did buy Monark for 50 bucks at Buy 'n Sell here, and I've used it 3 or 4 times.

You'd almost have to know from working with the actual thing to make that distinction, which for me was it wasn't inspiring to work with, the Arturia.
It's not a big deal if people don't know from that. OTOH I've used Trilian and what I would _not_ call a very great filter and it just doesn't matter in the track what I used, the effect works and it was fun.

Emulation or not, if I like the way something sounds, I use it. If I don't like the way something sounds, I don't use it.

It makes life very simple.

jancivil wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:23 am I really don't care what anyone else does, but the incessant 'the moog hasn't even a proper filter', that bit for WEEKS now, come on
Well, this is a case where I activiate my inner “translator”, so instead of taking the statement litterally, I read the story like this:

“I do not praise the minimoog because it has a -24db ladder filter and I prefer -12 db because the bass does not fall out as easily when using resonance control.”

Fair enough, but in contrast I prefer -24 db filters for my personal reasons. No big deal. Thus, I can get info from the statements without need to dive into a discussion about whether the moog filter is good or bad, works or is broken in any God Eye’s view. I cannot use such debates for anything practical under all circumstances: I have never changed a preference of mine because one or more KVR members have other preferences, no matter how rational, beautiful and politically correct the reasons may be. I often wonder if people really can use such debates for anything at all but debating.

zerocrossing wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:15 am One can get close with a Voyager and have recall. Too expensive?
Deffo. I would never go above 1000 bucks just to get some moogy Bass sounds that I basically have reproduced on almost every synth I have had hands on. This to different degrees of succes but all good enough to do the job in a mix, including softsynths. I have even managed to reproduce some moogy patches on my Digitone, even though it is FM driven, simply because it is blessed with a filter and transparant operator combinations.

Welcome to post-modernism. Synths are old hat now. My mom could put one on her phone. Only “modern” sounding in the sense that they can be in a retro-modern way.
Don’t know about that. I really like the present tendencies to go hybrid, which is a welcome follow up to the analog revival, imo. Synths with digital osc running through analog filters like Peak, or combo engines like the prologue/new minilogue, Prophet X, Monomachine etc. Imo, Roland did point in the right direction with JD-Xi and Xa, but failed the mission themselves and had to go Toys-R-us instead. Glad others have taken up the ball.

for me the use of vintage synth emulations, and those "inspired by", or using the same control / signal-path paradigm, is mostly a function of just being really familiar with how they work. I can hear a sound in my head that I like, and almost immediately dial it in. Same reason, I think, that the digital synths of the late '80s and early '90s were so unappealing to me -- although I love some of the sounds I got out of my DX-21 (I know, LOL -- but I did!!) and my CZ-101, programming them was REALLLY painful. Same with the D50. I thought modern Roland synths sounded like ass, until my friend got a JD800. All of a sudden I could make great sounds with a '90s Roland, and it took me longer than it should have to realize that the sound engine was really not that different at all, but the controls were no longer standing between me and the sound I was after. So if I immediately reach for the TAL Bassline rather than something more modern it's not necessarily because I think it sounds better than something with a modern interface, it's that I'm 100% comfortable with the controls. Same with a Behringer Neutron VS K2000 -- yeah, VAST will get me farther, but the Neutron will get me close in 1/100 the time.
resistors are futile you will be simulated
Soundcloud
T4M

I bought a DX7 in a pawnshop in 2003 the same summer I bought Absynth 2. I had countless hours with the former during the 1980s but the thrill was gone. But, I know how that type of FM works rather well so I applied it in Absynth, albeit it's just one iteration of modulating a 'carrier' in an osc (& envelopes applied).

I wanted a good Minimoog emu because I know what to do with its paradigm. (however I'm not all that excited by subtractive synthesis as a whole, ie., it was Minimoog or it wasn't.)
This is also why I didn't buy FM8 after trying it, it's not the same.

I can get nostalgic but that isn't it here, it's basic familiarity. Which does color my experience with like things.

IncarnateX wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:17 am
jancivil wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:23 am I really don't care what anyone else does, but the incessant 'the moog hasn't even a proper filter', that bit for WEEKS now, come on
Well, this is a case where I activiate my inner “translator”, so instead of taking the statement litterally, I read the story like this:

“I do not praise the minimoog because it has a -24db ladder filter and I prefer -12 db because the bass does not fall out as easily when using resonance control.”
Fine, but this is the same quality of distinction as my reduction above, it's use cases. It doesn't matter, debating terms like this is absurd; if I want actual information about the technical I'll try to suss a technical article. As something to read on this social media platform it's not as entertaining the second time, I reach for the mute button like I do with a TV.

jancivil wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:34 pm if I want actual information about the technical I'll try to suss a technical article.
Me too but in this case I meant info about what drives people to choose certain gear and have certain preferences. I would not be in this thread if I did not find the different views interesting and informative in some way.

jancivil wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:34 pm Fine, but this is the same quality of distinction as my reduction above, it's use cases.
Yup. Every instance is a unique case, horses for courses, if this is where you are heading. Thus, I still find it interesting to know about what courses drives people’s horses. There are an infinite amount of cases and some of them inpiring.

IncarnateX wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:04 pm
jancivil wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:34 pm Fine, but this is the same quality of distinction as my reduction above, it's use cases.
Yup. Every instance is a unique case, horses for courses, if this is where you are heading. Thus, I still find it interesting to know about what courses drives people’s horses. There are an infinite amount of cases and some of them inpiring.
I can tell you that mine aren't even close to being inspiring. For me, all this stuff is just tools. If I like the tool, I use it. If I don't like it, I don't use it. The last time I got emotionally excited about a musical instrument of any kind, oh wait, never happened.

Music itself? Different story. THAT'S what gets me excited. Making music. I have many great memories of a lot of the music I've created over the last 40 plus years.

I spend a_lot of time setting up so by the time I enter notes on that piano roll-looking thingy it's a pretty happening thing.

I was a lead guitarist in life, and the sound had to be there. Although I would tend to have to do the exercises unamplified, that isn't 'fun'.

IncarnateX wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:24 pm
jancivil wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:34 pm if I want actual information about the technical I'll try to suss a technical article.
Me too but in this case I meant info about what drives people to choose certain gear and have certain preferences. I would not be in this thread if I did not find the different views interesting and informative in some way.
KVR is interactive TV for me, it should be more entertaining than yelling at the same bombing comedy routine over and over. :D

jancivil wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:23 amOTOH I've used Trilian and what I would _not_ call a very great filter and it just doesn't matter in the track what I used, the effect works and it was fun.
The difference, if it needs to be highlighted, is that you aren't going around telling everyone it's a great filter. It is what it is and you use it within its limits, exactly the way I use The Legend, along with plenty of other synths that are less versatile than would be ideal.
IncarnateX wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:17 amFair enough, but in contrast I prefer -24 db filters for my personal reasons. No big deal.
I even find that a bit strange. I use whichever filter gets a particular job done. Sometimes that's a 12dB/octave filter and sometimes it might be a 24dB/octave filter or even, heaven forbid, an 18dB/octave jobbie. I don't make that kind of decision before I've even started working on a sound. Each has their place if they can do the job and it's nice to have a few options (up to a point, of course).
I have never changed a preference of mine because one or more KVR members have other preferences, no matter how rational, beautiful and politically correct the reasons may be. I often wonder if people really can use such debates for anything at all but debating.
I change things around all the time as a result of discussions here. Often it takes considerable effort to get useful information but why else would anyone bother with this place, if it wasn't to expand their horizons?
Z3R0T0N1N wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:36 pm for me the use of vintage synth emulations, and those "inspired by", or using the same control / signal-path paradigm, is mostly a function of just being really familiar with how they work.
That's just VA - virtual analogue - which has been with us for ages.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Instruments”