Ample Guitar M II Lite for Windows, not changing chords in Reaper

Official support for: amplesound.net
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I have downloaded the Ample Guitar M II Lite for Windows.

I encounter a problem when trying to record Strummer in Reaper. I set the chord and the pattern then "drag to host". In playback the recorded chords don't change and Strummer only plays the chord currently shown on the strummer panel. Patterns change correctly in the playback, however only the selected chord is played back.

Could I be doing something wrong?
The software sounds great and I am considering buying the full version.

Thanks,
Brian

There are 24 chords that you can specify using keyswitches in Reaper's piano roll view. Sounds like you are not using them.
You should be using a keyswitch to specify the chord and another keyswitch to specify the strum pattern.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to use it like the guy in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwDWYRwYfIE
From what I understand I shouldn't need to specify the chords separately.

Thanks,
Brian

If you watch the piano roll in the video you will see that there are 2 rows of keyswitches that are being dragged into the DAW. The upper keyswitches are the strum pattern and the bottom keyswitches indicate the chord.

You have to look carefully as that bottom row is quite tiny and you might have missed it. But without the bottom row of keyswitches your chords will not change.

ah ok. I see. Thanks for your help.
Any idea why the bottom keyswitch isn't being coppied over when I drag to host? I can make the chords change by editing the bottom keystroke into the piano roll after copying the sequence.

I don't use the workflow shown in the video, but maybe the video shows him dragging into the daw after each time he changes a chord? So each midi chunk would start with the chord change?

Why not just throw Reaper into record mode and let it record your chord changes and strum choices? Then you can go back in and edit it so it's exactly how you want it.

You might want to create a NOTE NAMES file in Reaper that puts names on the Reaper piano-roll keys. I created one that shows the notes range for the 24 chord choices and the keys for each strum pattern.

Brian did you work out why the chord changes weren’t happening? I have the same problem only with Logic. Cheers.
Woz

I have the same problem using Cubase 6 Artist. Until the problem is solved, I use a work-around. I have separate instrument tracks for each chord (eg: Bm A, G, etc.) Once a pattern is placed in a specific chord track, and if it is playing the wrong chord, I highlight that pattern in the Cubase track, then go back to the chord selector in Ample and click on the desired chord number.

Actually, to make the above method work, I have to make sure a separate Ample Guitar is activated for each separate instrument track, one for each chord voice. I then drag a strumming pattern from the Ample guitar module to its assigned track. That means I have to keep track of each open Ample Guitar module and the track it's assigned to. A pain in the neck at first, but it seems to work.

Just found this thread when searching as I still have this problem with AGM II Lite and Reaper. Can anyone confirm whether the full product will copy the current chord selection keyswitch over with the strum pattern? I.e., is this a limitation of the Lite version?

It's not that hard to add in the chord changes manually, but it would make things easier to have them copied across on the drag & drop.

@tbrown92030

Sorry that this is the limitation for Lite version.

Liang[AmpleSound] wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:37 am @tbrown92030

Then it would have been nice to say that in the videos and text!!!

So do this hold true for all the other key switches as well? Do they all have to be entered manually when using the sequencer??

I've just had the exact same issue when trying out in Reaper.
I drag to host but the chord change is not registered.

Even when I try to record the changes manually while playing, the chord change is not registered, I just seem to have the midi input for the strum pattern recorded.

It's a bit lame to not explain this in any manual or download page/video (if it is indeed a limitation and not a bug).

The VST sounds very good but I've been badly put off buying the full version now...

Yes, you're right. The sounds are fabulous but the documentation lacks. Better than no docs at all, I suppose. I am so glad they provide the MIDI demos. That is where I've learned the most about how these work - studying the demo files.

So rest assured, if you buy the full version you'll get a very useable instrument. I've been able to do everything I've needed, and I'm a very picky, detail-oriented guitar player. In full disclosure, I'm an Ample Sound fan-boy.

Liang[AmpleSound] wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:37 am @tbrown92030

I guess I won't be buying ampleguitar since I can't evaluate how the program claims to actually work. Limitation, you just lost a sale.

Return to “Ample Sound”