One Synth Challenge #120: SE PolyMod KX by KX77FREE (Voting Time!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Unfortunately there's no definitive documentation! The best thing to do is to trawl through this thread and extract all the goodness from the OSC-ers who have discovered how things work and how things don't work as "expected".

dB

MadPsyance wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:31 am Thank you, the win 10 tip fixed it!

Is there any helpful documentation on this synth? I can’t seem to find my way around it too well. Like all the knobs in the LFO, I’ve never seen anything like it in a synth. Can’t make heads or tails of it.
Glad I could help you with editing the file...

The only usefull documentation seems to be this thread.
Talking about the LFO - It was a complete mystery to me as well. Then I read in a previous post in this thread that it only get's into effect if you crank up the Mod wheel...and voila... the LFO "does something". The other paramters, I haven't seen either and here we are at what OSC is about - at least for me - fiddle with software synths, figure out how they work, figure out special things you can do with them, or probably even software glitches... SE Poly Mod KX is still a mystery for me especially the Envelopes... but with a lot of will to experiment and the will to let the synth define the direction where the track is going ... I had some fun already...
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Peter - have you tried clicking on the black/white text box above the "LFO" text label? There you can change the "effect" of the LFO via different options of which of course Wheel is one [ Whl>R ]!

The 3 text items are individually clickable!

Hope this helps …

dB

Oh, yeah, I was over the moon a while ago, after the brilliant "click on all bold labels to get a little submenu"-tip that made me find how to use the CC1 and CC2 routings. Happens to be one of my favorite "midi learn" like implementations in a synth, really. Very clear, once you know the submenu access, haha. :lol: :dog:
But, yeah, it works well. Only sad thing is the fixed choice maximum of 0.1 for the LFO depth, which is a bit weak, but EG, I think, helps to crank stuff higher.

What does “Eg” stand for?

Is it just an envelope or ...does it have some hiden function in this synth

Envelope Generator. Old word, hehehe.... ;) ...think it's a tell-tale sign for being an analogue emulation of sorts. I'm not an expert, but envelopes were probably a controlled voltage release circuit of sorts, literally generating the voltage changes.

Anyone else experiencing this? Keep adding stuff but it is already far beyond the capabilities of my poor little CPU. More than half the tracks are frozen. This Synth is a (free) Diva. :borg:

Carl_saved wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:09 am Anyone else experiencing this? Keep adding stuff but it is already far beyond the capabilities of my poor little CPU. More than half the tracks are frozen. This Synth is a (free) Diva. :borg:
Yeah, I noticed that, too. I have plenty of power, so I didn't hit my limit. But I'm using one of the KX string pads from my OSC entry in a new song I'm working on together with all kinds of free and commercial synths and effects. The track is bubbling along nicely at about 20% CPU, but when the KX enters it jumps to 25%!
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Even with oversampling off its quite power hungry. There's a couple of places to set this, one in the oscillator section and the Std Q in the output section.

RichardSemper wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:02 am Even with oversampling off its quite power hungry. There's a couple of places to set this, one in the oscillator section and the Std Q in the output section.
I wasn't aware of that, thanks. Love this about the OSC, I've had the KX77 synths in my vst folder for years and used them semi-regularly - but there are so many aspects of them that I hadn't even considered that I'm only learning now.

Also, quickly, someone comment or play my tune!! Very superstitious, apparently :-o
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

schiing wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:49 am Also, quickly, someone comment or play my tune!! Very superstitious, apparently :-o
Oops ... :)
Well, I have been studying with a student number containing this for over three years now. I don't think it harmed me ... but I'd rather not say this too loud :lol:

I'm running 113 instances on my old Pentium 4 Windows XP and only hitting 7% cpu. :wheee: :clown:
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

schiing wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:49 am I wasn't aware of that, thanks. Love this about the OSC, I've had the KX77 synths in my vst folder for years and used them semi-regularly - but there are so many aspects of them that I hadn't even considered that I'm only learning now.

Also, quickly, someone comment or play my tune!! Very superstitious, apparently :-o
LOL @666 and the same revelation I frequently have, finding that the synth is already on my drive. Soon after I first joined the OSC I fell into a free synth chase, frantically harvesting what I could find that sounded remotely interesting, but then forgot about them...
That's really another super cool thing about the OSC: You get to really try out a synth you wouldn't have dared for no reason. Here and there you realize what gem you would've missed, too. :phones:

Work is doing its best to keep me from finishing a track this month. I will prevail! (but it might take me till the end) I'm also trying out Ableton, I think it will help my drum programming.

Live's drum rack is an excellent tool for one synth challenges, indeed. Out of the box it gives you one separate track per MIDI note without even thinking about it.

Return to “Instruments”