iZotope Iris 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Iris Presets Iris 2

Dillinger wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:14 am Iris 2 is good, don't get me wrong, Ive had it since launch, but it was abandoned, just not officially. Same with BreakTweaker except that one was officially abandoned.
So what? I don't get this attitude. When Korg stopped making the M1, it made absolutely no difference to anyone who already had one. It's the same here - if Iris 2 is a good synth, then it's a good synth whether it's still in active development or not.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

The difference is that self contained hardware always works (assuming all non replaceable parts continue to function properly). Iris 2 will never "go bad", but everything around it that it needs to work will go away . . . unless you freeze time (run an obsolete OS running on old hardware). My Mellotron still works, but I can't use Alchemy with my ASR-10 because my Mac IIci doesn't work anymore.

tdm wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:33 pm You don't want to know what I paid for it back in 2015. :dog:
I DO get that is part of the negative vibe coming from past owners. I might feel the same way today in those shoes!
Windows 10 and too many plugins

BONES wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:45 pm So what? I don't get this attitude. When Korg stopped making the M1, it made absolutely no difference to anyone who already had one. It's the same here - if Iris 2 is a good synth, then it's a good synth whether it's still in active development or not.
+1 :tu:

tdm wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:03 am The difference is that self contained hardware always works (assuming all non replaceable parts continue to function properly). Iris 2 will never "go bad", but everything around it that it needs to work will go away . . . unless you freeze time (run an obsolete OS running on old hardware). My Mellotron still works, but I can't use Alchemy with my ASR-10 because my Mac IIci doesn't work anymore.
Your fault for using a Mac. Apple are absolute bastards at getting rid of stuff they don't want to support any more. OTOH, Microsoft go to ridiculous lengths to ensure backwards-compatibility, which is why little utilities I've had since Windows 95, like an automatic file renamer, still run in Windows 10.
zzz00m wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:20 am
tdm wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:33 pm You don't want to know what I paid for it back in 2015. :dog:
I DO get that is part of the negative vibe coming from past owners. I might feel the same way today in those shoes!
They have nothing to complain about, they've had plenty of use out of it. I waited and waited for Vacuum Pro to be $1 again but it never happened so I ended up paying $99 for it, exactly one week before it was back on sale for $1. So I only got an extra week for my extra $98. But that's just the way it goes, no point whinging. Same with the Keyboard stand a bought last month - I paid $199 for it and a week later the same company was selling it for $119. Oh, well, stuff happens.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

zzz00m wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:20 amI DO get that is part of the negative vibe coming from past owners. I might feel the same way today in those shoes!
My comment was meant as humor; no negative vibe from me. Software always gets cheaper. I love Iris 2.

BONES wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:32 amYour fault for using a Mac. Apple are absolute bastards at getting rid of stuff they don't want to support any more. OTOH, Microsoft go to ridiculous lengths to ensure backwards-compatibility, which is why little utilities I've had since Windows 95, like an automatic file renamer, still run in Windows 10.
Geez Bones, you're right. What was I thinking. How stupid of me not to have lived the carefree Windows life all these years. I have to go end it all, now that you've shown me the error of my ways.

You are not seriously going to suggest that it's not very much a problem with Apple? It happens to us at work all the time, especially with things like video codecs - Apple make an arbitrary decision that they are no longer going to support Animation codec, for example, and all of a sudden we can no longer read 75% of our archived work or stock footage until some third party comes out with a fix. Apple are absolutely ruthless with it and don't give a krap how much angst it causes their users. Also, your inference that Windows creates more hassle than macOS is just absurd. Trust me, I spend 8 hours a day on a Mac, I know exactly how bad it is and how much easier it is on my Windows laptop at home.

Ask someone who lost files when Windows 10 updated automatically last October. At the moment, Apple does not force you to update like Microsoft does. I'm not a fanboy of any particular hardware or software. It all has pluses and minuses. The truth is that both Windows and macOS are aimed at regular folks who surf the web, write email, take pictures, etc. In other words, a world that values the latest shiny object above all else. Anyone that uses a computer as a tool for a specific task (like music) values stability over everything else. These two worlds are irreconcilable. So, it will always be a case of watching your ass no matter what platform you're on.

Is this an OS war or what who cares which one is worst. You could have had Amiga OS or Next from Steve Jobs. Yeah windows and osx won because the public want ease of use not actual features and innovation. We get incremental updates of last years bloatware

boombaxx wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:20 am Is this an OS war or what who cares which one is worst.
You're absolutely right, let's get back to agonizing over a $29 purchase.

tdm wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:58 am right, let's get back to agonizing over a $29 purchase.
Onward, and downward! :lol:

Splat!!!

I Took advantage of the 29 dollar deal at pluginboutique. I am enjoying it so far. I was surprised that of the 11 gig content included, I think only about 2 gig of it is used in the 300 plus presets that come with iRIS. Looks like there is another 9 gig of additional content to mess with. Have had some fun with that as there is some interesting samples to manipulate.

I think for the current sale price it is a good buy. I never tried version 1 but I am happy with this purchase so far. Sale ends in a day or so I believe and the demo is there to try (which sold me).
Paul - who loves mangling samples ;-)

You won't regret your purchase. The modulation scheme can be a bit confusing, but you can do a lot with it. Have fun, manytone.

Return to “Instruments”