Big Rusty Drums - exactly what it says, and only $39

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Big Rusty Drums

https://www.karoryfer.com/karoryfer-sam ... usty-drums

https://youtu.be/T0iazmNf6wY

So, after the surprising popularity of Secret Agent Guitar, I sampled another old Polish instrument. This time it's not a government factory product, but a drum kit made in a one-man workshop by Zygmunt Szpaderski. He was probably the most important drum maker in Poland from the 1950s to the 1990s, and made his own hardware, heads and everything, plus he seemed like a very nice person. Maybe spending almost 100 hours working on samples of drums that cost barely more than $100 is unreasonable, but I don't care - I like the sound, the drums are unique and interesting, and I got some great big sounds out of them.

More about the kit itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7rN0XFxLWE

And, yeah, we'll sample another expensive luxury instrument someday (a couple of our free libraries are of instruments worth thousands of dollars already), but next is probably a Polish hollowbody bass from 1972.

These drums are $9 until the end of February 2019, then $39 regular price.
Last edited by DSmolken on Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

I just love your videos, man! And Big Rusty Drums sound just like I want them – not nice and easy, but nice…

…and ROUGH!

Instant buy, of course. The no-brainiest no brainer so far!

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Spitfire31 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:21 amnot nice and easy, but nice…

…and ROUGH!
Well put! I just updated the page - those are now the first words of the description.

A shameless quote from the Queen of Rock'n'Roll, Ms Tina Turner, introducing Proud Mary, live concert, 1982… ;-)

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Ah, I didn't know that, but it's probably about the right era for these drums, so it fits even better.

Szpaderski didn't keep any records, but the kick legs are copied from the Rogers Big R so it can't be earlier than 1975, and also rack toms with depth equal to diameter were an 80s thing - Slingerland Magnums appeared in 1980 I think. But by 1987 Szpaderski was using a different logo and heavier lugs. So, early 80s is my best guess.

considering what it cost you, i will wait until it comes off sale to buy them.

it's funny that you put "low-fi hip-hop" in there, because that's more or less the use i had in mind for them—to start with, anyway—not exactly hip-hop, but certainly a "drum loop that sounds like it is from a cassette recording of some band no-one ever heard of which was found for 75¢ in the bargain bin of a kmart in the 80s"

Yeah, exactly. Sounds like something hip-hop would have sampled back in the day, especially if you mess with the controls. If I dampened the toms and snare less and hit everything harder, these drums could probably do a decent 80s hard rock sound, but I'd rather leave that to others.

And, yeah, you're gonna get your old Polish hollowbody bass next. At least I think you're one of the people who've been really excited about that since I first mentioned the idea. Now waiting for strings to arrive (medium-scale flatwounds aren't that easy to get in this country), also gonna decide whether to record it with just one pickup or get the other one fixed and do both wired in stereo + mic samples. Which would be excessive, but what exceeds like excess? Nothing, that's what.

i have been feverishly excited about it. yes.
i am amazingly stoked to hear that you found a good one--i am sure that whatever you choose to do will be wonderful.

Great stuff! I picked up Swirly drums recently and I use it almost exclusively at the moment! Really creative and unusual drums! Love it!

will there be a Kontakt version as well? (as with swirly drums)

thanks

Kontakt - highly unlikely. It was a lot of extra work and didn't seem to affect sales much. But I still want to try HALion or HISE sometime, maybe for some smaller free instrument.

More unusual drums in the future is highly likely, though, I'm assembling a giant snare and need to figure out what to fit that into.

Don’t leave out the Falcon sampler, it even supports sfz

Interesting chatector to this kit, great find, new customer.

True, that's another good option. I've just started out with SFZ because that works well for free instruments (users don't need to pay for the full version of Kontakt), but Falcon also seems like a very capable sampler I should take a look at sometime, whenever I take a break from cranking out instruments long enough to learn something new.

Big Rusty Drums sounds wonderful. The extensive controls/parameters are incredible. The amount of work you've put into this is astonishing (as is your moustache!).

Thanks! It probably took about 100-120 hours of work, including the manual and walkthrough and getting enough rust off the tension rods that a tuning key would fit over all of them. The mustache took about a year and a half to grow that long.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”