Do you heavily use the stock eFX/Mix plugins in your DAW(s) ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't use any FX that come with the DAW — just plugins that can be used in any DAW.

Actually, i use Retrologue and Padshop Pro sometimes. Don't like the instruments in Studio One too much. Impact XT is OK though. Groove Agent SE in Cubase was better though. :?

I use a ton of Logic Pro X stock FX.

discoDSP wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:09 pm I use a ton of Logic Pro X stock FX.
Stupid question but... You make music? :D

i used to use reacomp a lot until i discovered that any oversampling had a really weird effect on the signal. i use reaverb a lot for IR processing, though, and readelay for echoes where i want to set up arbitrary patterns.

sleepcircle wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:31 pm i used to use reacomp a lot until i discovered that any oversampling had a really weird effect on the signal. i use reaverb a lot for IR processing, though, and readelay for echoes where i want to set up arbitrary patterns.
It has been recently corrected. Therefore I would probably use it more like I did when I started with Reaper but I use Klanghelm compressors and TDR slickEQ usually. I use a lot of utility plugins in Reaper they have a ton of great ones for sound treatment rarely it's thrid party.
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

actually? they REALLY fixed it? I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the changelogs; did i just miss it?

yep, everything i need is included in my host

ive never bought any fx, but have used some free stuff from time to time

I do in Cubase 10. Cubase cover for me most of the 'clean processing'.
Frequency is my goto EQ now. Beside that Channel EQ, standard Compressor, EnvelopeShaper, all the multiband plugins, Distroyer & QuadraFuzz 2 - are great distortion plugins, RoomWorks, Reverence, Delays, BitCrusher, Magneto... There's a bit of them that I use. But when I need character compressor/eq/saturation or special type of effect then I'm using 3rd party plugins like MJUC etc.

Yup. i rarely reach for 3rd party stuff since i switched to Live four years ago, even though it's stock stuff is typically slammed (unless it has Cytomic's filters in there somewhere). i just realized that all this analog stuff and analog emulation was not appropriate at all for the kind of music i wanted to make and i just find that Live's stock stuff does what i want, doesn't 'color' needlessly and is easy to use. This includes both FX and mixing stuff.

One exception is usually on my Returns...i don't dislike Live's Reverb, but it just doesn't go deep enough for a Return 'verb, so i use ValhallaRoom. i also use SKnote Disto on a parallel compression bus for drums.

The other is guitar processing. Live's Amp is great for processing everything but electric guitar, and i don't like the Chorus or Flanger for guitar either, so i'll use 3rd party stuff for that specific purpose. Other things get brought in from time to time if Live doesn't have some specific effect i need or i got used to using something before i switched to Live.

Yes I do, Ableton Live plugins are very efficient and easy to use. I often run multiple instances of EQ8 on channels, followed by Utility (duh). Also Saturator and Echo are nice.

When I want to get more expermental, I drop Corpus or Vocoder.

The reverb sucks, tho, I only use it for risers and some noisy percussion. Chorus is completely useless and totally wrong.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

sleepcircle wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:50 pm actually? they REALLY fixed it? I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the changelogs; did i just miss it?
REAPER v5.962 - November 17, 2018
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

voidhead23 wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:50 pm Yup. i rarely reach for 3rd party stuff since i switched to Live four years ago, even though it's stock stuff is typically slammed (unless it has Cytomic's filters in there somewhere). i just realized that all this analog stuff and analog emulation was not appropriate at all for the kind of music i wanted to make and i just find that Live's stock stuff does what i want, doesn't 'color' needlessly and is easy to use. This includes both FX and mixing stuff.

One exception is usually on my Returns...i don't dislike Live's Reverb, but it just doesn't go deep enough for a Return 'verb, so i use ValhallaRoom. i also use SKnote Disto on a parallel compression bus for drums.

The other is guitar processing. Live's Amp is great for processing everything but electric guitar, and i don't like the Chorus or Flanger for guitar either, so i'll use 3rd party stuff for that specific purpose. Other things get brought in from time to time if Live doesn't have some specific effect i need or i got used to using something before i switched to Live.
Very good post!!! Have to agree 100% ... :tu:
And this isn´t only valid for Live...
Stock FX of many DAW´s are much much better than their reputation and mostly very useable.

cowby wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:32 pmI am sure most of us have more than 1 DAW in their computer...
Ah, no. I have work to do, I don't have time to f**k about jumping from one application to another so the only host software I have installed anywhere is Orion 8.6.

I use it's stock effects way more than I use plugins - either the Impulse Response Processor or Fat Space for reverb, Diffuse Delay or Multi Echo for delay, both the compressors, the Brickwall Limiter, AD-1 Distortion, 2-Band Distortion, Tube Distortion, Low Cut Filter and I've even been known to put the stock Saturation effect on the master channel for a bit of oomph on stage. I always use the mixer EQ, too. Sometimes I use native chorus or flanger, although mostly I rely on on-board effects in the instruments for that stuff. I use the native plugins because they are mostly excellent, easily as good as anything I could buy.

The plugins I use tend to be more complex, like mastering things, or different kinds of distortions - everything from Guitar Rig down to Kuassa's little pretend stomp boxes. I also use a few newer, less standard things, especially from SoundSpot.

Until recently I also used the stock instruments a lot more than plugins, although that's changed quite dramatically in the last 12 months and now we mostly use plugins.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I've worked in various DAWs...

Cubase: Barely touch stock plugins except maybe the EQ, I really don't like Cubase stock plugins much. I do use the sampler track a lot though and that's really really good. The worst part is that Cubase seems to be the least tolerant of 3rd party plugins and loves to crash while Logic and Live are almost always rock solid regardless of what you throw at them.

Logic: Absolutely! I use stock plugins for everything from delay, to EQ, to reverb, to compression. I also love Alchemy and the electric piano built in! Only reach for plugins for a few specialty effects that Logic doesn't have and also for instruments like Sylenth1, Spire, Omnisphere, Kontakt .etc.

Ableton Live: Mostly yes, love the dynamics, EQ and delays, not as fond of the reverb but it's still reasonable. I would probably use the same plugins as Logic but add a reverb too. The instruments in Ableton are cool too, I really like their Sampler and Wavetable.

Return to “Effects”