New support for Mackie Control Universal (MCU) protocol is here!

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just released an update:

#2.5
* New: MCU_NUDGE button executes Tap Tempo
* New: MCU_DROP button executes Duplicate
* New: MCU_GROUP button executes Automation Write
* New: MCU_AUX button switches to Arrange layout.
* New: MCU_BUSSES button switches to Mix layout.
* New: MCU_OUTPUTS button switches to Edit layout.
* New: MCU_F8 button toggles device on/off.
* New: Option + Track (MCU_MODE_IO): Pin cursor track
* New: Option + Device (MCU_MODE_PLUGIN): Pin cursor device

Just released #2.6!

Requires Bitwig 2.3.
  • New: Option + Record Creates a new clip on the selected track and slot, starts play and enables overdub.
  • New: Option + Track selection buttons: Stop the playing clip on the specific track.
  • New: New option in Assignable Buttons: Quantize the currently selected clip.
  • New: Shift + Masterfade: Changes Metronome Volume
  • New: Option + Read: Resets any automation overrides.
  • Fixed: Button combinations (Shift, etc.) did not work across mutliple MCU devices
Enjoy!

There is a new update available.

To make my life a bit easier I decided to centralise the info in one thread:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8&t=502948

You can keep posting in this thread or in the new one, whichever you prefer.

Hi, I'm using a Faderport8. Pressing the 'Master' button results in a null pointer crash. The 'Section' button also seems to crash randomly.

The Sends button either does not do anything or causes an 'index 0' crash.

When I select 'Use faders like editing knobs', there appears no way to control the track volumes. The faders all control the pan for each track. Pressing the 'Track' button doesn't switch to track volume mode like I would expect.

The regular Bitwig MCU Pro driver behaves differently. Pressing the 'Track' button makes all faders control track volume. Pressing the 'Pan' button makes all faders control track pans. Pressing 'Sends' makes faders control send effects for tracks. 'Edit Plugins' button switches to editing parameters.

Here is what a midi monitor shows:

Master button
20:52:30.103 From PreSonus FP8 Note On 1 C5 127
20:52:30.302 From PreSonus FP8 Note Off 1 C5 0

Sends button
20:55:20.230 From PreSonus FP8 Note On 1 F1 127
20:55:20.231 From PreSonus FP8 Note Off 1 F1 0

Track button
21:04:32.872 From PreSonus FP8 Note On 1 D2 127
21:04:32.872 From PreSonus FP8 Note Off 1 D2 0
21:04:32.873 From PreSonus FP8 Note On 1 F♯1 127
21:04:32.873 From PreSonus FP8 Note Off 1 F♯1 0

Edit plugins button
21:04:55.173 From PreSonus FP8 Note On 1 G1 127
21:04:55.174 From PreSonus FP8 Note Off 1 G1 0

Pan button
21:05:17.154 From PreSonus FP8 Note On 1 F♯1 127
21:05:17.155 From PreSonus FP8 Note Off 1 F♯1 0

Section button
21:05:48.116 From PreSonus FP8 Note On 1 C♯5 127
21:05:48.296 From PreSonus FP8 Note Off 1 C♯5 0

valankar wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:06 pm Hi, I'm using a Faderport8.
The Faderport 8 IMHO misuses the MCU protocol in many ways. A proper MCU device should at least have faders and knobs. Therefore, I used the FLIP button to toggle between instrument/audio tracks and effect tracks.
valankar wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:06 pm Pressing the 'Master' button results in a null pointer crash. The 'Section' button also seems to crash randomly.
From the Faderport manual it seems that Master sends MCU F5-key and Section F7-key. These are generic function keys, which can be assigned to anything.
In my implementation you can configure the function F1 to F5 in the settings.
F6 is always assigned to punch-in and F7 to punch-out.

However, there should be no crashes. Please send the crash stack trace (you find them in the Script window).
valankar wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:06 pm The Sends button either does not do anything or causes an 'index 0' crash.
Since you do not have edit knobs it does nothing for you. Please send the crash stack trace.

Hm, is FLIP mapped to something on the Faderport 8?

Here is the crash when pressing 'Marker' button (sorry I meant Marker and not Master as I said before, but it is sending the same MIDI I mentioned):

Called init()
Initialized.
java.lang.NullPointerException
at de.mossgrabers.controller.mcu.controller.MCUSegmentDisplay.setAssignmentDisplay(MCUSegmentDisplay.java:82)
at de.mossgrabers.controller.mcu.MCUControllerSetup.updateMode(MCUControllerSetup.java:749)
at de.mossgrabers.controller.mcu.MCUControllerSetup.lambda$2(MCUControllerSetup.java:286)
at de.mossgrabers.framework.mode.ModeManager.notifyObservers(ModeManager.java:239)
at de.mossgrabers.framework.mode.ModeManager.setActiveMode(ModeManager.java:95)
at de.mossgrabers.framework.command.trigger.MarkerCommand.executeNormal(MarkerCommand.java:48)
at de.mossgrabers.framework.command.core.AbstractTriggerCommand.execute(AbstractTriggerCommand.java:47)
at de.mossgrabers.framework.view.AbstractView.executeTriggerCommand(AbstractView.java:203)
at de.mossgrabers.framework.controller.AbstractControlSurface.handleCCEvent(AbstractControlSurface.java:864)
at de.mossgrabers.framework.controller.AbstractControlSurface.handleCC(AbstractControlSurface.java:818)
at de.mossgrabers.controller.mcu.controller.MCUControlSurface.handleMidi(MCUControlSurface.java:421)
at vJ2.dXU(SourceFile:199)
at WrT.dXU(SourceFile:796)
at WrT.dXU(SourceFile:59)
at HIB.dXU(SourceFile:689)
at yd.dXU(SourceFile:97)
at lHx.dXU(SourceFile:51)
at O2i.dXU(SourceFile:33)
at loA.dXU(SourceFile:927)
at yd.MDn(SourceFile:45)
at IMR.dXU(SourceFile:213)
at woe.CZm(SourceFile:206)
at pEE.run(SourceFile:91)
at woe.run(SourceFile:102)

Here is crash for 'Section' button (looks identical):

Called init()
Initialized.
at de.mossgrabers.controller.mcu.controller.MCUSegmentDisplay.setAssignmentDisplay(MCUSegmentDisplay.java:82)
at de.mossgrabers.controller.mcu.MCUControllerSetup.updateMode(MCUControllerSetup.java:749)
at de.mossgrabers.controller.mcu.MCUControllerSetup.lambda$2(MCUControllerSetup.java:286)
at de.mossgrabers.framework.mode.ModeManager.notifyObservers(ModeManager.java:239)
at de.mossgrabers.framework.mode.ModeManager.setActiveMode(ModeManager.java:95)
at de.mossgrabers.framework.command.trigger.MarkerCommand.executeNormal(MarkerCommand.java:48)
at de.mossgrabers.framework.command.core.AbstractTriggerCommand.execute(AbstractTriggerCommand.java:47)
at de.mossgrabers.framework.view.AbstractView.executeTriggerCommand(AbstractView.java:203)
at de.mossgrabers.framework.controller.AbstractControlSurface.handleCCEvent(AbstractControlSurface.java:864)
at de.mossgrabers.framework.controller.AbstractControlSurface.handleCC(AbstractControlSurface.java:818)
at de.mossgrabers.controller.mcu.controller.MCUControlSurface.handleMidi(MCUControlSurface.java:421)
at vJ2.dXU(SourceFile:199)
at WrT.dXU(SourceFile:796)
at WrT.dXU(SourceFile:59)
at HIB.dXU(SourceFile:689)
at yd.dXU(SourceFile:97)
at lHx.dXU(SourceFile:51)
at O2i.dXU(SourceFile:33)
at loA.dXU(SourceFile:927)
at yd.MDn(SourceFile:45)
at IMR.dXU(SourceFile:213)
at woe.CZm(SourceFile:206)
at pEE.run(SourceFile:91)
at woe.run(SourceFile:102)

valankar wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:18 pm Hm, is FLIP mapped to something on the Faderport 8?
I guess thats the button to switch between fader volume and fader as knobs.
valankar wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:18 pm Here is the crash when pressing 'Marker' button (sorry I meant Marker and not Master as I said before, but it is sending the same MIDI I mentioned):
Ah, thanks for reporting. I forgot to add a shortname for the new Marker mode.
You can workaround the problem if you turn off the Assignment display in the settings (you should also turn off all device / features that your device does not have to save some performance).

hey man, ive been trying to download your updated MCU Protocol for Bitwig 2.4 but I keep getting a "www.mossgrabers.de refused to connect." message, is your site down or is there another way I can get hold of the file.

Do you know iff this will work with the new Keylab MK2 61? im having a nightmare trying to get it to work with Bitwig so far.

Many thanks in advance

a

eminusx wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:13 pm hey man, ive been trying to download your updated MCU Protocol for Bitwig 2.4 but I keep getting a "www.mossgrabers.de refused to connect."
Thanks for reporting! The server is up again.
eminusx wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:13 pm Do you know iff this will work with the new Keylab MK2 61? im having a nightmare trying to get it to work with Bitwig so far.
If it supports MCU it should work, if not you can also give the GenericFlexi a try.

moss wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:11 am
eminusx wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:13 pm hey man, ive been trying to download your updated MCU Protocol for Bitwig 2.4 but I keep getting a "www.mossgrabers.de refused to connect."
eminusx wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:13 pm Do you know iff this will work with the new Keylab MK2 61? im having a nightmare trying to get it to work with Bitwig so far.
If it supports MCU it should work, if not you can also give the GenericFlexi a try.
Hey brilliant, thanks for the reply, will give it a go this morning.

Many thanks for all your excellent hard work with this by the way, Its clear a lot of people would be lost without the work you've done, so thanks a lot, its much appreciated!

Cheers

moss wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:11 am
The generic-flexi is brilliant and improves some of the functionality, but I think its more an issue with the controller as the Transport buttons dont register when you push them to detect and generally the Keylab MK2 integration is really poor. BITWIG dont seem to be addressing it either.

Im pretty new to production having been a DJ for nearly 30 years, but im surprised at the lack of out of the box functionality for BITWIG and the latest Arturia boards, in this day and age it should really just work. I'm head of B.I.M for a large global design and infrastructure company and the technology we use is mind blowing, so the fact were still relying on generous guys like yourself to sort out MIDI integration problems is really poor. Its perhaps more of a business decision but im surprised BITWIG are so slow in presenting a solution given their forward thinking business model and DAW, out of 9 major DAW producers theyre the only one that doesnt have full integration with the new Arturia MK2s, its not a good reflection on them and there seems to be a lot of people out there thinking the same thing.

Anyway, rant over...Merry Christmas! ;-)

I wanted to buy this keyboard for xmas, but after finding out it did not fully support BWS , I decided to buy a Matrixbrute instead

I asked about the MKii on the facebook page`and somebody from BW said they would be contacting arturia
to see what could be done, the Mkii comes with loads of magnetic ovelays for the buttons, but NOT BWS
its such a shame that two big players don't sort things out, it would be good for both of them

its more than likely that the MKii comes with Ableton light etc etc , and arturia have done some tie in with them
BWS your a bit slow of the mark, you should have done a deal and put BWS 8 track in the box, that way Aruria sell more keyboards, and you get the money from upgrade plans

OH well back to twiddle knobs on the Matrixbrute
Just saying
Cheers
Kev
BWS 5.0.6,Spark LE, V Collection 9.2 BS1 & BS PRO, KS & KS pro keylab 25, Axiom pro 49,Behringer UMC1820,LPP ProFx8 v2 Icon m+, KRK 10/3,win 10 pro,i7 5820k 4ghz ,16G ddr 4 1TB NVMe.M2 msi x99a sli + NV GF Gt710, Matrix Brute Roland TR8S

turbo_kev wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:50 am I wanted to buy this keyboard for xmas....
It is a lovely board, no mistaking, but its just frustrating that you cant leverage its full capabilities

I took the BITWIG/Mackie route this morning and used Moss' MCU script, that certainly helped as the transport now works which is a big plus, but when I use Analog Lab as a DAW plug-in none of the encoders or faders work like they do when A.L is a standalone. It's highly likely i'm doing something wrong as im such an amateur, but thats really my point, I don't think you should be forced to do all the leg work just to make it work, the lack of interoperability currently feels like an oversight, it also shows little respect for peoples time, im not expecting it to teach me piano, just work.

I wouldnt let it put you off getting one, its got some great features and someone with more knowledge than me could get it running nicely im sure, but there are certainly better integrated boards available like the Nektar P6. Would like to know how well the new Novation SL MK3 works with BW, i've emailed them so will post up any response.

Cheers

I installed the script for the Mackie Control + 1 Extender......But the problem I have in Bitwig with the extender is that I cannot get the LCD Screen to show any of the track names on it like the main MCU control does?? I have the input and output ports set up correctly, Port 1 and Port 2...... Has anyone else had an issue like this before? Or any ideas on why this is not working correctly?
The extender unit just shows " MCU Extender PRO v4.0.3" across the display and never changes.......

jtrance4ever4 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:56 pm I installed the script for the Mackie Control + 1 Extender......But the problem I have in Bitwig with the extender is that I cannot get the LCD Screen to show any of the track names on it like the main MCU control does?? I have the input and output ports set up correctly, Port 1 and Port 2...... Has anyone else had an issue like this before? Or any ideas on why this is not working correctly?
The extender unit just shows " MCU Extender PRO v4.0.3" across the display and never changes.......
It is only the display that does not work? Buttons and faders work?
I never had a real Mackie Extender so there might be the possibility that there is a difference.

Return to “Controller Scripting”