Hive 2 is coming!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

Very excited for the update, especially the new modulation sources; hello Seq/LFO/Maths/Performer poly sequences! Hive is my favourite synth and since the 1.2 update I'm using it almost exclusively (with a little bit of RePro here and there) in all of my tracks. It now covers a lot of the same sonic ground as Serum, but with a more streamlined and immediate workflow, for my needs anyway. I feel that it now has the power and flexibility (with more to come) of much more complex synths, without any of the baggage that usually comes with them i.e. excess clicking/tabbing.
Always Read the Manual!

In my opinion (opinion!), there is not always a need for "scalpels" such as tediously editable automation curves. Often enough a little bit of "repeatable randomness" would have done the same job. Often, when I look at complex curves in screenshots and presets, I do not spot much "intention". I spot "a bit of this here, a bit of that there".

Hive 2.0 won't be a surgical tool in terms of complexity. But it will offer "repeatably evolving randomness", which in many, many cases will do the job just fine. Without the tediousness.

5Lives wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:48 pm I also sold my Hive license right before the wavetable update.
Me too... interesting psychology. :)

Actually now with the wavetable update, and version 2 coming soon, i maybe should have kept it. Although i doubt i will really ever love it.

Will Hive 2 be able to replace my existing Hive projects?
That would be so damn cool.

Hive is becoming my most used synth of all. I really really like it.

Urs wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:52 am
Hive 2.0 won't be a surgical tool in terms of complexity. But it will offer "repeatably evolving randomness", which in many, many cases will do the job just fine. Without the tediousness.
..."repeatably evolving randomness", I have had days like that. :)

Will the unison get any updates, e.g. more than 16 voices/osc or a global unison?
Looking forward to Hive 2. :D

More than 16 voices? You guys are wild

Ploki wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:23 pm More than 16 voices? You guys are wild
I thought the same. I dont remember the case i actually really needed more then what virus has (wich is 9).

anoise wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:17 pm Will the unison get any updates, e.g. more than 16 voices/osc or a global unison?
Looking forward to Hive 2. :D
Up to 16 voices/osc x 4 osc = max 64 unison voices, how many more do you need? :o
Always Read the Manual!

I never needed more than 16 voices on a synth, even with long pads. Talking about unsion on oscillator level, of course, otherwise 16 voices would really be too few.

Ploki wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:59 am Will Hive 2 be able to replace my existing Hive projects?
Yes, it'll completely replace Hive 1.x

PieBerger wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:32 pmUp to 16 voices/osc x 4 osc = max 64 unison voices, how many more do you need? :o

BTW, Hi! Are you missing me in the PsyProducers' Music Group? ;) :D
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Urs wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:39 pm
Ploki wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:59 am Will Hive 2 be able to replace my existing Hive projects?
Automatically? So i wont need to save presets for every Hive project, just update hive and Poof my projects will open?
Why don't all developers do this

Urs wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:39 pm
Extremely exciting news about Hive 2. Looking forward to that.

Can i post a question.

1. When you say "Yes, it'll completely replace Hive 1.x" does it mean Hive 2 have same VST ID and i can simply uninstall Hive 1 and install Hive 2 and all my session will load nicely and synth sounds (created in Hive 1) will sound equally same in v2?

If that's the case then this is what i call compatibility done properly!

Or...

2. we need to install another .dll which will have different VST ID and presumably different .dll name and under compatibility you mean to say that we can load Hive 2 and load preset from Hive 1 and it will work same? We just have to replace all Hive 1 in our previously created sessions?

Kind regards

There was a discussion not long ago about the unison in Hive vs Virus.
viewtopic.php?p=7256920#p7256920

TL/DR:
Virus: 2 hypersaw oscillators with 9 voices x 8 (max) global unison = 144 max voices / note
Hive: 4 oscillators (with Sub Osc on "=") with 16 voices = 64 max voices / note

I'm fine with 16 (if I want more I have Viper), but as you can read in the post in the link it is not hard to implement. I was just curious what decisions were made regarding unison.
I suppose raising the osc unison from 16 to 32 would do no harm anyway (except cpu). :shrug:

Return to “Instruments”