Some Cool Shiznit

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://soundcloud.com/hi-fam-its-sam/some-cool-shiznit
Another decent attempt at atmospheric DnB
This is Samuel S. I make music for fun even if it isn't music.

sorry cant listen.... i have Anti-virus AND Anti-amen break beat detection enabled on my computer. carry on..... lol
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:13 am sorry cant listen.... i have Anti-virus AND Anti-amen break beat detection enabled on my computer. carry on..... lol
Funny, but there is no Amen break here, although it wouldve been a good idea had I known how to slice them up.

oh, it is the amen break, just a variant. my anti-amen break software picks it up as such.
If you did not slice it up to try to camouflage it, someone did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUQR798BXe8

layzer wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:09 am oh, it is the amen break, just a variant. my anti-amen break software picks it up as such.
If you did not slice it up to try to camouflage it, someone did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUQR798BXe8
Very true, very true

I understand people's loathing for the overused amen break, but (love it or hate it) it does define the genre. I've learned to filter it out over the years, and focus more on the synth work instead. My wife and I frequent a bar that plays a lot of lounge D+B, and this track is quite reminiscent of the stuff that I hear there. I think the synth work suits the genre nicely. Good job on that. I am not keen on the vocal stuff (I am more loath to overused vocal samples than I am to overused beats).

The 30 seconds of 60hz hum + vinyl clicks at the end seem unnecessary.

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:40 pm Complaining about the Amen break pattern in DnB is like complaining about 4/4 beats in techno, it's a genre staple.
Yeah, well people sometimes post stuff on here that sounds like fingers on a chalkboard...
is that a genre staple too? just voicing my opinion
on whats cool Shiznit and whats not around here,feel free to ignore it....
Its a dirty job but someones gotta do it. :idea:

lessera wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:28 pm I understand people's loathing for the overused amen break, but (love it or hate it) it does define the genre. I've learned to filter it out over the years, and focus more on the synth work instead. My wife and I frequent a bar that plays a lot of lounge D+B, and this track is quite reminiscent of the stuff that I hear there. I think the synth work suits the genre nicely. Good job on that. I am not keen on the vocal stuff (I am more loath to overused vocal samples than I am to overused beats).

The 30 seconds of 60hz hum + vinyl clicks at the end seem unnecessary.
The 30 seconds of the hum and clicks is a side effect of tape saturation plugins I use. In this case I used Izotope Vinyl so that's why.
You hear it on my other tracks and I get annoyed by it too but it can be easily ignored.

I have no problem with the sound itself, just wondering why you feel the need to include 30 seconds of it at the end.

lessera wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:16 pm I have no problem with the sound itself, just wondering why you feel the need to include 30 seconds of it at the end.
No, you don't understand, it does it AUTOMATICALLY when I render my tracks.

I don't think you understand what I am trying to say. Your song essentially ends at the 5:06 mark with that final note from the bass synth. What follows is over 30 seconds of nothing but hum and clicks. No fade-out or anything... Just 30 seconds of noise. My statement still stands: It seems unnecessary. Unless you really need a track that is 5:40 instead of 5:06.

That's as clear as I can be about it.

EDIT: Just visited your sound cloud page. I see that you do that with many of your songs. As a listener, I would be irritated by having to listen to 30 seconds of noise before the next song in the playlist starts.
Last edited by lessera on Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Feedback

Music - 5
Instruments - 7
Performance - 7
Mix - 5

Overall - 6

Comments: Sounds like a loop played over and over for the first almost 2 minutes. Then it stops briefly and then it starts back up again with a little variation. Vocal sample breaks it up a bit, I guess. Pad does sound nice. Just not enough to carry somewhat monotonous track. Musically, there really isn't much to this. It's more like background music. For me, the beat and the pads just don't work together. It feels like one or the other was just thrown in, depending on what you started with. Given how little variation is in this track, 5 minutes plus is just way too long. This was a 2 minute track tops. As for getting rid of the last 30 seconds, which is absolutely not needed, bring the wav file into Audacity after done rendering and just cut the end OR start a fade out around 4:55 or so. Then cut off the silence after the fade out ends. All in all, lifeless track. Of course, just my 2 cents so take it for what it's worth to you.

Samuel_S wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:35 pm
lessera wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:16 pm I have no problem with the sound itself, just wondering why you feel the need to include 30 seconds of it at the end.
No, you don't understand, it does it AUTOMATICALLY when I render my tracks.
get yourself a nice audio editor ...
there are several free ones ...

edit add :
i see steven already addressed this above ...

lessera wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:30 pm I don't think you understand what I am trying to say. Your song essentially ends at the 5:06 mark with that final note from the bass synth. What follows is over 30 seconds of nothing but hum and clicks. No fade-out or anything... Just 30 seconds of noise. My statement still stands: It seems unnecessary. Unless you really need a track that is 5:40 instead of 5:06.

That's as clear as I can be about it.

EDIT: Just visited your sound cloud page. I see that you do that with many of your songs. As a listener, I would be irritated by having to listen to 30 seconds of noise before the next song in the playlist starts.
I don't notice it until it's actually published. I would cut it with an audio editor but then it would sound obvious,which is why SoundCloud thought it was a good idea to include waveforms for the song currently played.

Return to “Music Cafe”