Soundcard needed.

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

How good would a cheap (less then 50 pounds) internal sound card be for home studio work? I'm thinking Creative Sound Blaster Z.

I'm making music for me, not for labels or anything, but I do want my mix to sound good ofcourse.

Don't know about Creative nowadays if better.
I had a Creative Extigy now more than 10 years ago and it was the weirdest thing I ever saw.
Sample rate fixed to 48k.
Creative support:
- 48k is standard
Me:
- what about CD's that are 44k
Creative support
- 48k is standard

I tried used spdif, a digital transfer that really should be safe not to change anything - but on computer it sounded like recorded on cassette tape, really noticable change in audio. I sent them samples.
Creative support:
- it's not made for so advanced users

At least check out specs a bit, is what I would do if they sobered up.

Avid/M-Audio Fasttrack Solo - I payed similar money for, and then a iLok key and ProTools Express was included. I used it on a laptop - and it's been ok for the use I need on that computer. It need a usb port and powered that way too. It has a mic input(with phantom 48v if needed) and an instrument input too.
Headphones out. I can set latency down to 128 samples and is ok for recording.

If these are sold without iLok now, which normally cost £35 or so it might be even cheaper.

I have a Z in my non-Studio-PC. It has ASIO drivers and works/sounds fine. (I don't know what else to say about it)

mikek1357 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:01 am Hi,

How good would a cheap (less then 50 pounds) internal sound card be for home studio work? I'm thinking Creative Sound Blaster Z.

I'm making music for me, not for labels or anything, but I do want my mix to sound good ofcourse.
a used pci maudio24/96 is a great card, should be in your budget
on ebay or local sales websites. I can't discern any sound quality
differences between my personal creations and 'store-bought' songs,
when listening for pleasure. An e-mu 0404 or 1212 would also be fine.
Cheers

T-CM11 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:59 pm I have a Z in my non-Studio-PC. It has ASIO drivers and works/sounds fine. (I don't know what else to say about it)
It's a great card for gaming. It has a ASIO driver, but, obviously, it's not really made for audio in mind, and the ASIO driver doesn't provide very good latency/performance.

If you want it solely for audio stuff, i'd rather go for a cheap used card.

glokraw wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:14 pm a used pci maudio24/96 is a great card, should be in your budget
on ebay or local sales websites. I can't discern any sound quality
differences between my personal creations and 'store-bought' songs,
when listening for pleasure. An e-mu 0404 or 1212 would also be fine.
Cheers
IF his current PC still has a PCI slot, the next one won't. :wink:

I'd say with that budget the "audio interface" is not likely to give any benefit over your internal sound chip of the mobo.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:27 am I'd say with that budget the "audio interface" is not likely to give any benefit over your internal sound chip of the mobo.
Sometimes they do. When the computer manufacturer or the mobo pcb designer haven't yet heard about proper grounding.
~stratum~

Internals... I'd put that 50€ on an external like behringer or something.. Ofc you need active monitors then but some Mackies or presonus monitors are cheap and fine.

BertKoor wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:27 am I'd say with that budget the "audio interface" is not likely to give any benefit over your internal sound chip of the mobo.
The said Soundblaster Z already gives you much benefit over about any internal mobo sound chip, IMO. :) Never heard a mobo sound chip which sounds as good as 50 € and above sound cards. They typically mush up the bass, and are not very clear in the highs.

That said, i'd still get a audio card, or external interface, because the ASIO drivers will simply be better.

I'd look for a used Focusrite 2i2 USB. At least it has proper mic inputs and a hi-z for guitar or line inputs for keyboards. The Sound Blaster only has consumer 1/8 inputs. Suitable for playback maybe but not much else.
"Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal." - Albert Einstein

Alan wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:29 am I'd look for a used Focusrite 2i2 USB. At least it has proper mic inputs and a hi-z for guitar or line inputs for keyboards. The Sound Blaster only has consumer 1/8 inputs. Suitable for playback maybe but not much else.
Sure, the Focusrite is more 'suitable' for recording... but the Soundblaster is more than fine for recording as well (ideally adding an external mixer). Don't be a snob (or projecting your own personal scenario).

The OP hasn't mentioned if he/she wants to use it for recording - those "proper mic inputs and a hi-z for guitar or line inputs for keyboards" might be completely for him/her.

SoundBlaster Z is a good cheap option. It also has ASIO driver which is a must if you work with DAW.

If you want something more serious with better drivers I would look at ESI Maya 44xe PCIe. Not as cheap but much better card overall.

Even though I also do use an M-Audio Delta 66/OmniStudio PCI card at this point I would not buy one. M-Audio PCI cards do not have proper drivers for Windows 10 and also PCI is a dead tech.
No signature here!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”