McDSP Analog Processing Box (APB16)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi:

Just saw this announced, but the information is very sparse and contradictory. I suspect this is (another) DSP box. like UAD Apollo. Does anyone know more about this?

https://www.mcdsp.com/2019/01/19/mcdsp- ... UR9OExyH8o
Fernando (FMR)

nope, it looks like it's not an UAD-style DSP box, but an actual reconfigurable analog box. think Antelope Audio (i think?) FPGA, but instead of reconfigurable digital circuits, they're analog.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:44 am nope, it looks like it's not an UAD-style DSP box, but an actual reconfigurable analog box. think Antelope Audio (i think?) FPGA, but instead of reconfigurable digital circuits, they're analog.
Yes, they say it's analog processing, but then what are the ADC and DAC there for? And the Thunderbolt connectors? And no mention to analog ins and outs.

And SIXTEEN channels? All analog?
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:50 am
Burillo wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:44 am nope, it looks like it's not an UAD-style DSP box, but an actual reconfigurable analog box. think Antelope Audio (i think?) FPGA, but instead of reconfigurable digital circuits, they're analog.
Yes, they say it's analog processing, but then what are the ADC and DAC there for? And the Thunderbolt connectors? And no mention to analog ins and outs.
presumably to get it back into digital domain? they have a Pro Tools plugin to control it, and provide sample-accurate automation - it makes sense to have their own ADC/DAC on board, if only have automation synced to the clock.
fmr wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:50 am And SIXTEEN channels? All analog?
sure, why not? Mesa Triaxis has what, ten different tube amps in one box? and that's one rack unit from way back when.

of course, i'm basing all of this on their marketing material, but i'm not sure there's any other way to interpret it.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

fmr wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:50 am

And SIXTEEN channels? All analog?
Weird, its almost as though that implies they've designed something that allows them to send audio to and from an analog device digitally, and maybe even control it from a plugin.

But nah, who would ever conceive of such a thing. :roll:
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

:lol:

very cool box and idea, I'm guessing these are FPAA? I seem to remember there was a prototype synth a while back also using similar tech

moshimoshi wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:15 pm very cool box and idea, I'm guessing these are FPAA?
now that i think of it, it sounds quite plausible!

Meh.

Burillo wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:19 pm
moshimoshi wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:15 pm very cool box and idea, I'm guessing these are FPAA?
now that i think of it, it sounds quite plausible!
Yes, that would make sense :tu:
Fernando (FMR)

It's software controlled (plugin) analog (16 channel) processing. Only see mention of Pro Tools though.

This is a very good thing. I always liked the idea of analog processes controlled by digital means. But it will be a ProTools only business for me it's (sadly) a no go :-(

I love the ideia. It s the screamer from cytomic in analog form.

This could be game changer for mcdsp to be really popular, but I am afraid that they will release it with a very high price.

If he manages to release it in an affordable price, he would get a chance to become really big, as their competitors would have to price them under a competitive price, like slate vms

Cheering to get it right nonetheless

For me McDSP Analog Processing Box (APB16) was one of the coolest and innovative things at Namm this year. It may not be cost prohibitive for me but interesting none the less.

I'm actually excited about this one. That will be short lived, though. I just know this is going to be cost prohibitive.

michaeltn86 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:24 pm This could be game changer for mcdsp to be really popular, but I am afraid that they will release it with a very high price.
If we go by historical data, it's rather going to be their end. :hihi:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Return to “Effects”