Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

esaruoho wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:39 pm
Touch The Universe wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:37 pm Is it skin-able and to what extent?
There's a process to what they're doing..

1. Re-create the original skin as a vector skin, make it work
2. Enable zooming / increased sizes without loss

Then when all that is in place (and hopefully documentation, too) - it could in the future be re-skinned.

A lot of baby steps are being made and have been made for weeks on end, and a lot of patience is required still before it is all ready.
I went and found the skin resources folder on github, which appear to only be available to download as individual files. I don't mind doing that if it's the only option, but is there a zip of all of them?
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

glokraw wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:56 pm
esaruoho wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:46 am But getting Surge to compile with Linux,
Would it be less work to make binaries with an install script for linux?
This has worked almost perfectly with the many U-he linux plugins
ported by Abique.
I'll ask the guys on github ( at http://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge/issues ) - although would be good that if anyone has any questions relating to surge, or any bug-reports, that they'd post them on the github. Would generally help with fixing the issues and getting better bug-reports in :)

posted your question at https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge/issues/381

Shabdahbriah wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:46 am
Touch The Universe wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:37 pm Is it skin-able and to what extent?

Then when all that is in place (and hopefully documentation, too) - it could in the future be re-skinned.

A lot of baby steps are being made and have been made for weeks on end, and a lot of patience is required still before it is all ready.
I went and found the skin resources folder on github, which appear to only be available to download as individual files. I don't mind doing that if it's the only option, but is there a zip of all of them?
Hi, I would really recommend joining the Surge-Synth Slack and checking out the channel #design and talking there about re-skinning efforts :) as that is where the guys in charge of re-creating the Original Surge look using Sketch (I think) are and that's where the main talk about the GUI and the Zoom features is going on.

Here's an invite!
https://join.slack.com/t/surgesynth/sha ... mNhYzQ3NTU

esaruoho wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:35 am
Shabdahbriah wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:46 am

Hi, I would really recommend joining the Surge-Synth Slack and checking out the channel #design and talking there about re-skinning efforts :) as that is where the guys in charge of re-creating the Original Surge look using Sketch (I think) are and that's where the main talk about the GUI and the Zoom features is going on.

Here's an invite!
https://join.slack.com/t/surgesynth/sha ... mNhYzQ3NTU
Thank you, will do. 8)

{aside: the post I saw had an 'Affinity Designer' project extension, which is what I use, so that would be cool} :tu:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

esaruoho wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:34 pm
BSE|Milan wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:25 pm I was wondering if we can get the audio inputs functional in vst3. Pretty wild mangling tool :)
i've asked around for people using surge opensource newest build, and VST3 audio input appears to work.
I only tried in cubase, let me investigate further :)

BSE|Milan wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:25 pm
esaruoho wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:34 pm
BSE|Milan wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:25 pm I was wondering if we can get the audio inputs functional in vst3. Pretty wild mangling tool :)
i've asked around for people using surge opensource newest build, and VST3 audio input appears to work.
I only tried in cubase, let me investigate further :)
oh yes. the "does audio input works or not?" conversation on the slack resulted in guys realizing that Cubase does not seem to directly support Surge's audio input possibilities. There's a ticket about that feature and it'll probably be done sooner or later. (p.s. Logic Pro X & Ableton Live = Surge AudioInput confirmed working btw).

I think a separate Surge effects .dll would be great, like what
Cakewalk did with z3ta + 1.5

The audio input is always ready, regardless of the
selected preset, and it takes daw vagaries
out of the equation. Thanks for putting my idea
about linux binaries at the GIT area.
Hope things are going well :hyper:

glokraw wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:23 am I think a separate Surge effects .dll would be great, like what
Unless that capability was removed from post 1.5.2 builds you can simply make a copy of Surge.dll and name it Surge_FX.dll

In the host it will then automatically show up as an FX, complete with a different Unique VST ID.

(A Surge.dll identifies itself as 'cjs3' while a Surge_FX.dll will identify itself as 'cjsx' so there will be no VST ID clashes.)

According to the dev thats the recommended procedure should you need a FX DLL so the worst thing that can happen is that it wont work with the open source builds.

ENV1 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:32 pm
glokraw wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:23 am I think a separate Surge effects .dll would be great, like what
Unless that capability was removed from post 1.5.2 builds you can simply make a copy of Surge.dll and name it Surge_FX.dll

In the host it will then automatically show up as an FX, complete with a different Unique VST ID.

(A Surge.dll identifies itself as 'cjs3' while a Surge_FX.dll will identify itself as 'cjsx' so there will be no VST ID clashes.)

According to the dev thats the recommended procedure should you need a FX DLL so the worst thing that can happen is that it wont work with the open source builds.
Good to know, thanks. 8)

Youre welcome.

(I would have been more than happy to check whether it still works with the open source builds but since nobody seems interested in offering/maintaining a 32bit build im afraid i cant be of any help with this one.)

EDIT: I just remembered that there was one unofficial 32bit build of 1.6.0b1 provided by NothanUmber. I just tried it with that and it still works fine so im pretty sure it will work fine with the newer builds as well.

In Reaper win7, can't get a peep out of the effects using the
Audio Input option from the oscillator menu. And if I did, it would
still go away when a different preset was selected. Probably
needs some major work, if Cubase and Reaper are both an issue.
(the renamed .dll didn't change results in my case)
I prefer an effect plugin to be receiving audio input
from the get-go, like so many normally do.
Cheers

glokraw wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:09 am In Reaper win7, can't get a peep out of the effects using the
Audio Input option from the oscillator menu. And if I did, it would
still go away when a different preset was selected.
Yes, Audio Input will stop working when you select a preset that doesnt have it selected.

(Its kinda inevitable.)

But with Audio Input selected you can definitely make it work, i just checked in VSTHost and there are 2 ways.

1) Trigger/Gate Surges Amp EG by sending Note-MIDI to Surge. Since in this case Surges Amp EG is active, make sure that it has some Sustain or Decay so the Amp output is audible. Works with both the normal and the FX version.

2) If sending MIDI to Surge isnt possible or wanted, set Surges voice handler to 'Latch' and the Sustain of the Amp EG to full. Since in this case the Amp EG is inactive except for the Sustain stage, whatever goes into Surge will come out without needing to trigger or gate anything. This too works with both the normal and the FX version.

glokraw wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:09 am And if I did, it would still go away when a different preset was selected. Probably
needs some major work, if Cubase and Reaper are both an issue.
Hi, the way Surge is organised is that one of the three oscillators can be an Audio Input. If you have one set up as an Audio Input, and change to another preset, with it's own three oscillators set up, there will be no audio.

If you want to have continuous sound out from Surge, set one oscillator to Audio Input, and click on Latch.

:clap: Thank you very much for continuing to develop this awesome synthesizer. Today one of the best. You are an example sharing your work in Open Source. These things make you have faith in people again.
Receive my respect and admiration.
Regards
La Selección "Definitiva" de Software Musical Gratuito
https://selecciondefinitiva.wordpress.com/

Thanks ENV1 and esaruoho for clearing up
the Surge Audio Input routine for me 8) !
Lots of controls there to use on guitar this weekend :hyper:
Cheers

Return to “Instruments”