What's a good DAW to switch to from Cakewalk?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Zombie Queen wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:05 pm
JoseC. wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:31 pmgive you the feeling that there is actually a plan to make this DAW last
That's good to hear, thank you. I guess trust is something that's easy to loose quickly, but it takes time to get it back.
I would say that pretty much depends on yourself.

That said, i don't know if Cakewalk will ever be able to catch up on the "trust" department. They're pretty much struggling for almost 10 years now. Actually, i was pretty surprised that they were able to revive Sonar after Gobson dropped them. I thought they were deader than dead.

If you want a future proof host, i'd suggest you definitely look elsewhere. There are enough hosts which are not likely to cease tomorrow. Cubase, Logic, Ableton Live... even Studio One seems to be going pretty strongly.

Actually really like what they are doing with Cakewalk, way more stable with all the bug fixes lately and again with a new updated release this past Friday. Making it way more stable is the way to go.

chk071 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:29 pm
That said, i don't know if Cakewalk will ever be able to catch up on the "trust" department. They're pretty much struggling for almost 10 years now. Actually, i was pretty surprised that they were able to revive Sonar after Gobson dropped them. I thought they were deader than dead.

If you want a future proof host, i'd suggest you definitely look elsewhere. There are enough hosts which are not likely to cease tomorrow. Cubase, Logic, Ableton Live... even Studio One seems to be going pretty strongly.
When the mother company (Gibson) is almost 1 Billion in dept... and it's coming due, that can wreak havoc on smaller "non-essential" departments.
Anything non-essential that's not making significant money is going to get chopped.
Had Gibson not been in dire-straights, Cakewalk may not have been cut loose.
All conjecture (and moot) at this point...

I think a lot of people have a "wait and see" attitude with CbB.
I like the level of communication from Meng and Noel... and it's great to see several long-time staff members (again) working on CbB.

In my case, with what I do for a living, I've got all the major PC DAW applications.
I like things about them all... I dislike things about them all.
If push came to shove, I could use any of them as my main DAW.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Jim Roseberry wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:14 am
chk071 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:29 pm

When the mother company (Gibson) is almost 1 Billion in dept... and it's coming due, that can wreak havoc on smaller "non-essential" departments.
Anything non-essential that's not making significant money is going to get chopped.
Had Gibson not been in dire-straights, Cakewalk may not have been cut loose.
All conjecture (and moot) at this point...

I think a lot of people have a "wait and see" attitude with CbB.
I like the level of communication from Meng and Noel... and it's great to see several long-time staff members (again) working on CbB.

In my case, with what I do for a living, I've got all the major PC DAW applications.
I like things about them all... I dislike things about them all.
If push came to shove, I could use any of them as my main DAW.
Besides pro tools and logic, what do you think is the most popular daw?

3ptguitarist wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:15 am Besides pro tools and logic, what do you think is the most popular daw?
Cubase
Ableton Live
Studio One

All are fairly popular.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

According to google charts the most popular DAW is by far FL Studio

+1 for the last two posters on MOST popular DAWs Protools , Logic , Cubase , Live , Fruity Loop Studio , StudioOne , Reason ...
There is also Bitwig its a Live type of DAW as well it's grown in popularity ....... On the cheap but really powerful and good are Reaper , Tracktion/Waveform , Mixcraft , Mulab , Podium ... I have a bunch of hosts over the years but I like Tracktion/Waveform , StudioOne and Reaper out of the ones I've used , in that order still . I've never used Cakewalk .

Trancit wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:24 am According to google charts the most popular DAW is by far FL Studio
Not sure what that proves though, other than the warez kiddies looking for a "free" version.

chk071 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:25 pm
Trancit wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:24 am According to google charts the most popular DAW is by far FL Studio
Not sure what that proves though, other than the warez kiddies looking for a "free" version.
I don´t want to state it´s justified but don´t underestimate the active userbase of FLS...
Nearly the whole HipHop/ Beats scene use FLS, many trap producers etc, etc...

Other companies would kill for such a business

Fruity Loops Studio is powerful there is this guy in YouTube that uses it and his tutorials and music sounds professional.

fedexnman wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:14 pm Fruity Loops Studio is powerful there is this guy in YouTube that uses it and his tutorials and music sounds professional.
There was also this dude who called himself Avicii who made about $20 million/year with FL Studio.

Cakewalk just got another update. It's regularly updated. Don't see a reason why anyone would switch to something else if they are already using it unless it were a workflow issue, and can't really see why it wouldn't be at or near the top of the list for windows users anyway.
It's a top tier DAW with regular updates.....for free for crying out loud! lol

For electronic music, Ableton Life is known for being used by a variety of artists and has a very large user base. Cubase is the other big player, IMO Cubase is the most feature-rich DAW on the market with regular updates and a large userbase.
Steinberg also offers a crossgrade from Sonar, Logic etc. to Cubase 10 Pro. The price for this crossgrade is slightly lower than the Standard Edition of Ableton Life!

FL Studio is a very good DAW, and being VST compatible puts a world of instruments/effects available to the producer.
"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not too sure."
Checkout my blog: VST Plugins Free Download.

MattmaN wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:57 pm Cakewalk just got another update. It's regularly updated. Don't see a reason why anyone would switch to something else if they are already using it unless it were a workflow issue, and can't really see why it wouldn't be at or near the top of the list for windows users anyway.
It's a top tier DAW with regular updates.....for free for crying out loud! lol
Care enough to comment on its current status?

What should we know about it? Any new stuff? Why do you think it is competitive?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”