sampler for drums

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
I have Logic and need (at least until Apple updates EXS24 GUI) a sampler plugin for drums (single sounds, no loops). What I need is something plain and simple, no need of effects (a filter and an EQ is more than enough), round robin and (this is very important) easy sample replacement. It has to be light on resources and with good workflow.
I had Battery, but it was slow and resource hungry. I have tried TAL sampler - quite good, but I didn't gel with its sample browser. I really like xfer Nerve, but I don't need the sequencer part and it's aa bit too pricy for me. Will try new (version 3) TX16Wx.
I have Reaktor, so it could also be something from its library, though I think it won't be light enough.
Thanks!

AdamWysokinski wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:30 am Hi,
I have Logic and need (at least until Apple updates EXS24 GUI) a sampler plugin for drums (single sounds, no loops). What I need is something plain and simple, no need of effects (a filter and an EQ is more than enough), round robin and (this is very important) easy sample replacement. It has to be light on resources and with good workflow.
I had Battery, but it was slow and resource hungry. I have tried TAL sampler - quite good, but I didn't gel with its sample browser. I really like xfer Nerve, but I don't need the sequencer part and it's aa bit too pricy for me. Will try new (version 3) TX16Wx.
I have Reaktor, so it could also be something from its library, though I think it won't be light enough.
Thanks!
I use Battery and it's always worked just fine. Only slowness came from loading samples from my external hard drive rather than my internall SSD.

Perhaps this:

https://decomposer.de/sitala.html

Simple and effective!
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

This looks quite good, thanks!. There is no envelope though, I'll keep looking..

What's the workflow problem with EXS24? I don't use Logic these days but remember the key mapping being pretty easy. Way more streamlined than Kontakt or Structure.

How about this? BPB version is free, there's also a full version for $49

https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2016/1 ... ooove-bpb/

Having just gone through this same process looking for a drum sampler for Reaper (before chucking the program off my computer...). i don't like using EXS24 either, though there's nothing wrong with it. But i really learned sampling on Live and am used to a more visual workflow.

Sitala is a great option, and its lack of an envelope can be kind of compensated by it's 'Shape' knob. It also, surprisingly, offers multiple outs for individual hit processing in your DAW. But it's less of a drum sampler and more like a drum machine that uses your own samples for sources.

Another more expensive and a little more elaborate option is New Sonic Arts Nuance : http://www.newsonicarts.com/html/nuance.php

It's a full-blown sampler but also has a pad layout that is similar to Battery, Drum Racks, Bitwig's Drum Machine, etc., which i find helpful. Unfortunately, the pad layout doesn't do a good job of representing changes or sounds dropped into it. Nuance offers you more flexibility over your sounds that will be familiar from Battery, like FX per sample, envelopes, LFO's, and you can also layer velocity. This also does multiple outs. i bought this initially as a replacement for Battery 3. It's a little simpler to operate, but not significantly. It still takes some time to get a kit put together, but the layout is gorgeous and doesn't bury you with options.

Probably the most complicated option, but in my opinion the BEST sampler outside of Live, is Renoise Redux: https://www.renoise.com/products/redux

i really don't know why it doesn't get more attention. It's super fiddly, does unfortunately bury you with options and has no pad layout, and is a little closer to an old-school sampler, but is a full-fledged sampler, slicer and drum machine (something that doesn't exist in one plugin anywhere, at least not for Mac). However, putting your own drumkits together is a lot like using EXS24 so this may not be the best thing for you. Offers a lot of options and FX per sample, and the ability to actually edit samples.

Live has simply the best sampling/drum sampling solution i've found, but whenever i'm working in Logic, i'll use one of the above. If i had to use only one, it'd be Redux just because i can do so much with it, but i don't think that's what you're looking for. For ease of use and elegance, Sitala wins.

i can't stand TX16Wx. It takes me dozens of clicks and fifteen minutes of manual diving to do something the above options just...do.

+1 for Renoise Redux for drum samples , it's not as simple as Battery , or any other typical 4X4 MPC type of GUI VST/Au . But once you get started on YouTube or the PDF manual it's really really good . Yeah these type of samplers are not as straight forward as those 4x4 mpc types of VST but they are very very powerful. .

imrae wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:52 am What's the workflow problem with EXS24? I don't use Logic these days but remember the key mapping being pretty easy. Way more streamlined than Kontakt or Structure.
Apart from GUI (which I hope will get a facelifting soon), I don't like the idea of having to save each instrument. I also would like to be able to drag and drop a sample file(s) directly into the plugin. But EXS24 is also very stable and VERY low on resources, which makes me still using it.

fedexnman wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:25 am +1 for Renoise Redux for drum samples , it's not as simple as Battery , or any other typical 4X4 MPC type of GUI VST/Au . But once you get started on YouTube or the PDF manual it's really really good . Yeah these type of samplers are not as straight forward as those 4x4 mpc types of VST but they are very very powerful. .
I love Renoise DAW and have tried Redux sampler. It's very good, will definitely consider it as a company for EXS24, more like a sound-designing plugin.

Bliss is very drum focused and is worth checking out. You can drag and drop a batch of waves and it do drum mapping amongst other cool features.

https://www.discodsp.com/bliss/

THK wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:05 pm Worth a try:

http://www.onesmallclue.com/plugin/poise/
Windows only he is on a Mac ..

Thanks for all suggestions. I have tried several of them, but then I decided to give Logic Ultrabeat another try. It's awesome! Apart from GUI (hopefully Apple will update in in the future), this is almost exactly what I wanted.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”