Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

can someone explain what's the difference between the latest builds and the latest commercial release version?
THIS IS MY MUSIC: http://spoti.fi/45P2xls :phones:

Free, open source
64 bit Mac version
VST3 versions
Vector GUI - lays basis for GUI scaling (already partly implemented in AU)
Beginnings of MPE support
Various other things but I think those are the main ones.

In other words the whole focus is on bringing it up-todate with modern standards.

I'm SO glad to see a 64 BIT installation for Mac!
Thanks for the effort.

Is there any way to load the plugin in 200% zoom default?

Logix1 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:04 am I'm SO glad to see a 64 BIT installation for Mac!
Thanks for the effort.

Is there any way to load the plugin in 200% zoom default?
there is an experimental build out there with 200% and 300% zooms, but that has yet to be merged in since it had some issues (i was able to make the plugin 300% and then unable to get it to resize again because i had no access to the menu button anymore (screen too small, plugin too large) - anyway, this is still being experimented on. if you're git-savvy, you can have a look at grabbing that experimental branch and building it locally for your own use. Anyway, Zoom is one of the most wanted features (especially after the DAW Parameter Learn bug was fixed) - so we'll definitely be posting about it once it is out in the nightly builds.

Also, there are approx. two people working on getting this to build and display successfully with Linux.

For now, all the builds are 64-bit only, since we have not found a 32-bit maintainer yet who would be enthusiastic enough about Surge to make sure it compiles and works as 32-bit versions. Anyone know such a guy?

Jbravo wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:59 pm can someone explain what's the difference between the latest builds and the latest commercial release version?
So far work has been going on to make the latest build closer and closer (...and closer) to the 1.52 (or 1.53?) version. A lot of bugs have been squashed, but I suspect there are going to be more. Hence why having someone that has used Surge when it was a commercial plugin, try out the newest versions and report back on their experience, would be crucial.

Especially MPE.

I have a private tentative changeslog that I keep adding stuff to as it gets fixed or implemented.

Lately re-introduced: Dragging of .wt (wavetable file) to Surge will now work. Dragging of .wav to Surge will now shoot an error, instead of crashing. DAW-learning-of-Surge-parameters has been fixed to no longer shoot double-parameters, but should work across all or most DAWs.

As mentioned above in a previous post, the main focus now is to get Zoom working.

The Surge that was put out on GitHub refused to compile on macOS AudioUnit altogether. Baconpaul heroically fixed that. Overall, this should be considered to be in a "check out compared to consumer Surge" -stage, not a "I need to deliver a master of a track that is 100% Surge, let me just replace my old plugin with this new one", SurgeOpenSource is at the bleeding edge right now, hopefully progressing swiftly towards cutting edge state.

Now is a great time to log onto http://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge/issues and logging in a new issue or two, especially if you run across bugs but especially if you have feature requests.

The aim is to make a legit 1.6 version, and then start implementing features for the future, slowly but surely, while retaining backwards compatibility.

Certain issues with polyphonic midi playback have been raised, but they are yet to be addressed. I have a feeling that this and MPE might be next on the pipeline after zoom has been finished. But we'll only know when zoom has been finished :)

Anyway, this is an iterative process, one step at a time, and I, for one, don't have SurgeCommercial to compare with SurgeOpenSource, so anyone who does, please hit us up about what works better and what works worse. Otherwise we're in the dark, and that's no way to fix issues.

Is it a 32bit release now too?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:12 am Is it a 32bit release now too?
as mentioned above, for now, all the builds are 64-bit only, since we have not found a 32-bit maintainer yet who would be enthusiastic enough about Surge to make sure it compiles and works as 32-bit versions. Anyone know such a guy?

esaruoho wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:45 am
as mentioned above, for now, all the builds are 64-bit only, since we have not found a 32-bit maintainer yet who would be enthusiastic enough about Surge to make sure it compiles and works as 32-bit versions. Anyone know such a guy?
I see. No problem :)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:38 am
EDIT: not yet
I do keep opening a ticket for 32-bit support, and really do hope that eventually it can be provided. But getting Surge to compile with Linux, and introducing the zoomable interface, and adding various other fixes take precedence for the current team.

esaruoho wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:46 am
Halonmusic wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:38 am
EDIT: not yet
I do keep opening a ticket for 32-bit support, and really do hope that eventually it can be provided. But getting Surge to compile with Linux, and introducing the zoomable interface, and adding various other fixes take precedence for the current team.
Sure, those are much more important. 32bit version can wait for now.

I was wondering if we can get the audio inputs functional in vst3. Pretty wild mangling tool :)

Vember in case you're reading,
over the years I've kept hearing about Short Circuit 1, is the source code still in existence?

BSE|Milan wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:25 pm I was wondering if we can get the audio inputs functional in vst3. Pretty wild mangling tool :)
do they not work? I don't have a VST3 Daw for Mac so I'm not sure how to test it. I know they work with AU & VST2.

BSE|Milan wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:25 pm I was wondering if we can get the audio inputs functional in vst3. Pretty wild mangling tool :)
i've asked around for people using surge opensource newest build, and VST3 audio input appears to work.

esaruoho wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:46 am But getting Surge to compile with Linux,
Hi, thanks for working on this fine instrument!
Would it be less work to make binaries with an install script for linux?
This has worked almost perfectly with the many U-he linux plugins
ported by Abique.
Cheers

Return to “Instruments”