DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

chk071 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:32 amI know, nitpicking, but, stuff like that is interesting for me to compare. It's also something i don't criticize (to prevent the hack slashing from the usual suspects), i guess Dune was coded that way to be low on CPU, which is cool of course.
Assuming you are talking about me, I've not criticised you, just tried to tell you that these things are completely irrelevant and can often be misleading. That is certainly the case with Thorn, which has no more problems with low notes than it does with high notes, yet you've convinced yourself it has because you look at things that don't matter. It's perfectly fine to say "isn't that interesting" but when you look at the results and say "so I'd never use this synth for xxxxx", you are doing yourself a disservice.

In this instance, I imagine the roll-off is possibly to reduce/remove aliasing but I'd be very surprised if you could hear the effect of it when you are playing the instrument or making patches for it. So yeah, interesting but irrelevant.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:01 am Assuming you are talking about me
Nope, i wasn't. ;)
BONES wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:01 am In this instance, I imagine the roll-off is possibly to reduce/remove aliasing
That was my guess too. As on whether you hear it or not... well... at some point, you definitely do. It's often surprising for me, though, because, sometimes, synths go right up there in the frequencies, and sound muffled anyway, while others have a hard cut way before the sample rate frequency, and sound perfectly normal, or, at least, there's nothing obvious.
Teksonik wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:59 am Fascinating. One post showing someone making awesome sounds with Dune 3. The next post is someone worried about how it looks on an analyzer.
See, that's the issue you have. Everything which is not a raving cheer about a plugin you like is "worrying", or bashing on it. I'm pointing out things i notice. Interestingly, you're right at my butt when i do so, while, when i have positive stuff to post about Dune, you're nowhere to be seen. So, i guess i should rather take your posts with a extra pinch of salt, than take them serious, because it seems you rather have a personal problem with my posts, and, no matter what i say, you will always be offended.

v3.05

no idea whats new/fixed

Is there a way to solo/mute certain layer/voice?

yes, there is a button for solo but not for mute

I wish there was an indication of which layers are active. Something like an activity light or tiny meter strip would make a world of difference when trying to edit existing patches. I can't remember which patch it was but I was trying to edit one a few weeks ago that had exactly the same settings across five layers, all at fairly low levels. When I soloed Layer 1, added a few more voices into the oscillator and turned it up a bit, it sounded exactly like the original patch. It was the stupidest thing ever and it took far too long to work out what was going on because every layer sounded the same when you soloed it, which made me think I was doing something wrong (because when something doesn't work properly, it is almost always because I'm doing it wrong).
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:45 am I wish there was an indication of which layers are active. Something like an activity light or tiny meter strip would make a world of difference when trying to edit existing patches. I can't remember which patch it was but I was trying to edit one a few weeks ago that had exactly the same settings across five layers, all at fairly low levels. When I soloed Layer 1, added a few more voices into the oscillator and turned it up a bit, it sounded exactly like the original patch. It was the stupidest thing ever and it took far too long to work out what was going on because every layer sounded the same when you soloed it, which made me think I was doing something wrong (because when something doesn't work properly, it is almost always because I'm doing it wrong).
Dune is tricky to program at the layer level. You have to be conscious of making sure you solo each layer as you're programming it and then, after a layer is finished, take off the solo to hear how the whole patch is sounding. It is easy to forget, leave the setting to all, and end up changing everything. It took me a long time to get to a point where I can program an 8 layer patch without problems.

In short, no, Dune 2, 3 is not very intuitive and probably could be laid out better. Doubtful, however, that it will happen at this point in time.

There are synths not so good to edit presets, and Dune 2-3 are ones of them.

Depending on your workflow, but for me I usually browsing what's there and most of the times I find something useful. Many times I edit this preset but in order to do that I need to understand the structure of the sound. Now, Dune 2 and 3 are not good in showing this structure as things are scattered all over (I already with others wrote why, so I won't repeat it). So, I end up just using that preset as it is or loading another synth unless the preset is just one layer.

The other problem is when I browse to find something to fit in the song but I don't know what it is yet. For example, when I have the midi recorded but I want to see the best fit with other instruments. Dune is a pain here because the browsing directions are not separated from other windows!!

I have installed the demo 3 times and uninstall it because I wasn't sure to upgrade or not (still not sure! But mostly no). During that I bought at least 2 synths that I was sure of them. Maybe if I don't have Dune 2 already, I would buy the third. Anyway, this is my experience with it and sure everyone has a different workflow and needs slightly.

If the workflow design would change and Dune 3 would be intuitive to use, then I would jump into the upgrade wagon without demoing it even :) but somehow I doubt it.

Yeah, there is definitely nothing in DUNE 3 that would make me upgrade from DUNE 2. The sound is largely interchangeable so if you have no interest in wavetables or a second filter, there's every reason to stick with v2. People rave about the new filter types but they do very little for me.

I think we speak about multi-layer editing which is not the easiest thing with Dune. The programming of one layer is IMO not very complicated, I miss only a better modulation system (this can be done a lot better with a visual feedback on the modulation target).
I think the GUI needs a complete overhaul not only for the modulation system but also to make this editing of multiple layers more comfortable.

I'm in the same boat and have not upgraded yet to Dune 3. I've played with the demo and have not found something I really miss with Dune 2. It feels more like a minor 2.6 upgrade...

I did upgraded to Dune 3, but the reason was bigger UI. Ever Since i moved to 1440P monitor, Dune 2 looks tiny + swarm and filters gave more motivation. But if i didnt had changed my monitor, i could easely lived without swarm and new filters. So basicly i was kind of forced to move on...

Hopefully Richard will change or add something to GUI to make it easier to work with layers...wouldnt hurt to have a mixer for layers either, its pretty bad to balance multiple layers volume wise. And indicator which layers are active, etc etc. I love the sound, but some of these gui issues frustrate me.

in the Unison section, right under the Detune knob is a window labelled AMT

this tells you how many layers are being used

unless certain layers are soloed, it will be in numerical order

I have no problems with the multiparts, it's exactly like a traditional synth. He could have made it one row with different colors to indicate different functions, but other then that. Just light up the layers you want in the solo row.

Only issue I have is the serial filters, but I at least understand why he did it that way.

...and the imaginary vents. imaginary vents drive me cray cray. strangely i like the feux wood.

Return to “Instruments”