Roland Cloud CPU usage in 2019?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Its some time ago I have tested the Roland Cloud and the CPU usage was very high and it was nearly impossible to use this instruments without freezing/rendering.
So my question for Roland Cloud subscribers: How is the CPU usage with the actual version?

The CPU usage hasn't changed with the passing of the year. It's the same CPU usage as it was in 2018.

(Some of the instruments were improved in performance last year, and also the heavy ones have a "Reduced CPU" mode to lighten them up, at the cost of some accuracy.)

The polyphonic ones still use CPU for all voices, regardless of how many you play, rather than dynamic power according to how many voices are actually sounding, and that's a sizeable performance drain when only using one or two voices...

Does this "reduced CPU" mode have a noticeable effect to make the synth more usable?
I also read that Roland has updated their GUIs to look better with larger scaling?

Yes, it reduces CPU significantly, and yes, the GUIs look better.

It depends on when you tried them. The cpu use reduced drastically some time in the past year I think, but it has been that way for a while. They are currently very reasonable. Lower than diva for example polyphonically, much less than repro-5. In mono they are negligable. They are low enough polyphonically that I don't pay attention (I use a laptop).

Great to hear this!
I've tried the Roland Cloud after the release (2017?) So I don't know about the reduced CPU.
If the CPU usage is lower than Diva or Repro-5, it could be at the level of Arturia?

4damind wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:14 pm Great to hear this!
I've tried the Roland Cloud after the release (2017?) So I don't know about the reduced CPU.
If the CPU usage is lower than Diva or Repro-5, it could be at the level of Arturia?
Yeah like some if the new Arturia synths maybe. Or like massive or one of those kinda medium cpu synths. When they were released they were unusable.

I always try to stay positive because...well...no one loves Roland more than I do, but the CPU usage is still absurd and I have a very powerful full tower system and CPU usage varies way too much from preset to preset, and from plugin to plugin. Also the plugins don't render very well, (bizarre timing issues) so I have set up a recording bus to bounce. Not the end of the world, but it really blows because these plugins, with all the prestige, and as great as they sound, should perform just a tad better than they do. I just don't feel comfortable using them at all. I feel like I'm walking on thin ice with these plugins, and I try to avoid using them at all cost. I probably won't renew my subscription because of this. Totally sucks because I really love these instruments, but the're really not worth the shitty feeling I get when I use them. Excuse me guys, I have to go and vomit right now after just thinking about using Roland Cloud plugins.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:31 pmLower than diva for example polyphonically, much less than repro-5.
Over here System-8 uses more CPU than Repro-5 for the same number of voices (Repro-5 in multicore mode). And it's a constant CPU drain no matter how many voices you play (even in mono mode), which is ridiculous, none of Roland plugins allocate voices dynamically except maybe JV-1080, which is bullshit IMHO. It's not rocket science to make that work in a more scalable fashion.

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:27 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:31 pmLower than diva for example polyphonically, much less than repro-5.
Over here System-8 uses more CPU than Repro-5 for the same number of voices (Repro-5 in multicore mode). And it's a constant CPU drain no matter how many voices you play (even in mono mode), which is ridiculous, none of Roland plugins allocate voices dynamically except maybe JV-1080, which is bullshit IMHO. It's not rocket science to make that work in a more scalable fashion.
Oh i haven’t been using the system-8, didn’t remember it being a CPI hog when I tried it. The others seem fine for me.

I have an old quad i5 cpu here
The tr808 uses around 10 % , the tr909 uses double as much
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:20 pm I have an old quad i5 cpu here
The tr808 uses around 10 % , the tr909 uses double as much
10% CPU for a drum machine?! :scared:
Now I'm not surprised by existence of this topic...
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:27 am Over here System-8 uses more CPU than Repro-5 for the same number of voices (Repro-5 in multicore mode). And it's a constant CPU drain no matter how many voices you play (even in mono mode), which is ridiculous, none of Roland plugins allocate voices dynamically except maybe JV-1080, which is bullshit IMHO. It's not rocket science to make that work in a more scalable fashion.
100% agree. It's painful to see that the JV / SRX plugins are always draining the CPU, even when they're idle.

antic604 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:48 pm10% CPU for a drum machine?! :scared:
Now I'm not surprised by existence of this topic...
Well, technically the 808 is an analog synthesizer, and the plugin is running analog models, not just playing samples...

So I did a quick, non-scientific test in Reaper using Reaper's CPU reading. Why Reaper? Everyone should have access to it so they can compare on their own machines. I understand that Reaper's CPU meter works very differently than Studio One's for example, so don't read too deeply into the numbers unless you're comparing them to Reaper.

Testing Procedures:

1. Load plugin in an empty project
2. Record enable
3. Find a Keys/Electric Piano/Piano patch
4. Play some five or so note chords and noodle about (in the case of the SH-101, just played a bassline)
5. Monitor CPU usage shown on bottom left of plugin window in Reaper

CPU: Intel i7 4790k (few years old but not ancient). Windows 10 machine.

Roland Synths:
System-8 2.7% - 3.0%
Jupiter-8: 2.2% - 3.5%
Juno-106: 2.2% - 2.8%
SH-101: .8% - 1.7%
TR-808: 1.1% - 2.5%
TR-909: 1.1% - 2.2%

The number of voices in use on the above or effects had no impact on CPU.

U-he Analog Modeling Synths:
Diva: about 3% (really varied per patch/voice)
RePro-5: 4.6% - 6.9% (really varied per patch/voice)

Multi-core was off.

Now, for my money, the U-he synths have way better sounding filters and effects. But the Roland synths are more CPU efficient, at least as measured by Reaper.

Return to “Instruments”