vurt - self destruction (glitch)[mp3]{oh morphagene, how i love thee}

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

self destruction

the opening sounds, recorded in to morphagene, make up the rest of the track, return occasionally, then finally end the track for us.
all hail the opening sounds :hail:

Hmm, for the better part of the piece it sounded to me like a rending of flesh and 'other stuff'.
Then towards the end, more like a curling of mustaches. Which I suppose could be self destructive in its own rite.

I have to give it a firm "Yes I like it" :tu:

There were some parts in the middle where things get particularly glitchy when the pitch goes high and the gene size gets small. Fun stuff!

Another fun thing to go with morphagene is to modulate the Varispeed or Slide with it's own output!

pekbro wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:41 am Hmm, for the better part of the piece it sounded to me like a rending of flesh and 'other stuff'.
Then towards the end, more like a curling of mustaches. Which I suppose could be self destructive in its own rite.
from one serial killer enthusiast to another, i find "twirling ones moustache, whilst rending the flesh" looks good for any publicity shots :)
I have to give it a firm "Yes I like it" :tu:

justin3am wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:45 pm There were some parts in the middle where things get particularly glitchy when the pitch goes high and the gene size gets small. Fun stuff!
im pretty sure if the government find out about this, it will become a controlled substance :o
Another fun thing to go with morphagene is to modulate the Varispeed or Slide with it's own output!
not tried that yet, but im sure it will be awesome :tu:
the whole thing is, with the right set of samples as reels, then using the computer for more precise slicing, this one module alone could be used for whole albums of epic autechre/aphex/squarepusher type things 8)

sequencing slices with the sequencer is good fun, then moving the knob for a different section then back again, so even though its sounding random, totally repeatable :D
love it!
dunno why im telling you :lol: i am just that excited by the thing!!

My Feedback (Vurt Scale)

Weirdness Factor - 20
Sounds/Noises - 10
Performance - 8
Mix - 5

Overall - 10.25

Comments: I was starting to worry that you were going commercial on me with your last few tracks. Those fears have been thoroughly thrashed with this offering. You broke the scales of weirdness and noises. Interpreting the performance is difficult. I guess it takes a lot of skill to make something sound so destroyed. The mix, being totally mono, in your face, and devoid of any kind of ambiance, I couldn't do any better with my score there. Some reverb, stereo, or something, anything, would have helped immensely. Still, overall score is very high because of, well, whatever this thing is. You've outdone yourself.

So you guys actually move the knobs while recording. I was wondering about that. With the limited, number of modules @ my disposal and a lack of smooth modulators I have not been able to produce too much variation in rhythm and tone. Aside from the Telharmonics output.

Thx for any insight.

pekbro wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:59 pm So you guys actually move the knobs while recording. I was wondering about that. With the limited, number of modules @ my disposal and a lack of smooth modulators I have not been able to produce too much variation in rhythm and tone. Aside from the Telharmonics output.

Thx for any insight.
it was the cartesian you got?
theres a few good patches on the makenoize youtube to get you started.
theres a lot more than you think in that small package :)
doing weird stuff with the maths, or using the wogglebug as a modulator :)

but yeah, i like to get my hands dirty too, so to speak.
let it do its thing for a bit, then move somethings, leave it to play, see what happens, move something else.
i may also hand modulate filters or other bits too :)

wagtunes wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:44 pm My Feedback (Vurt Scale)

Weirdness Factor - 20
Sounds/Noises - 10
Performance - 8
Mix - 5

Overall - 10.25

Comments: I was starting to worry that you were going commercial on me with your last few tracks. Those fears have been thoroughly thrashed with this offering. You broke the scales of weirdness and noises. Interpreting the performance is difficult. I guess it takes a lot of skill to make something sound so destroyed. The mix, being totally mono, in your face, and devoid of any kind of ambiance, I couldn't do any better with my score there. Some reverb, stereo, or something, anything, would have helped immensely. Still, overall score is very high because of, well, whatever this thing is. You've outdone yourself.

yeah, the mix is pretty much non existent :lol:
tbh, im surprised it scored as high as 5 :hihi:
its a mono out, dry, two track recording :lol:
although, there where a few crossfades between the sounds within the modular, so i guess that kinda counts as "mix" :shrug:

glad you found it interesting :)
and 20 out of 10 for weirdness :D it may upset a few maths peoples but ill take it :hihi:

thanks as always 8)

Thanks vurt, I’ll look those videos up. Oh and yeah, I got the Cartesian. I have actually explored it pretty well, and I believe I have a fair understanding of what can be done with it. I think I am mostly having trouble thinking beyond musicality in regard to the Cartesian. Likely, I just need to smoke more weed when thinking about it. :)

pekbro wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:58 am Likely, I just need to smoke more weed when thinking about it. :)
well, i cant speak for justin, but every patch here is layered with it :hihi:

can i ask, what are you looking to get out of it?
i can maybe give more pointers if i understand your goals a little more.
it does have its strengths as a unit, but it is also limited by design, eg i don't know which rene you got, but mine is version one, so basically one sequence with two outs (you can add rests to one output, using the quantised out but still) but the teleharmonic has the intervals parameter(read the manual for deeper explaination, because i don't really understand it, i just know what it does when i modulate it :hihi: ) so you can have two pieces going off together.

if youre looking to go "weird" as wags calls it, using the telharmonic to fm the sto can be fun, especially if you modulate the pitch of telharmonic with the snh output from the wogglebug.

hopefully justin will respond here, or you can copy the message over to his thread, as tbh hes the master here :hail:

vurt wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:26 pm
pekbro wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:58 am Likely, I just need to smoke more weed when thinking about it. :)
Yeah me too. :drunk:
vurt wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:26 pm hopefully justin will respond here, or you can copy the message over to his thread, as tbh hes the master here :hail:
No masters, only students.
Yeah, hands are the most weird and wonderful modulators. It's more difficult to do when I'm holding another instrument but it's a big part of the process for me. I get a lot of use from joysticks and X/Y pads for controlling more than one parameter at once. Mult a knob that creates a DC offset (like channels 2/3 on Maths, when nothing is connected to their inputs), so you can use it like a Macro knob in a soft-synth, to control multiple parameters with one knob.

When I think of weirdness, my mind goes straight to feedback routing. Routing the end of your signal chain back to the first gain stage is the most common approach but as I suggested to vurt, try routing your final output to one of the CV inputs on a signal generator. This can be an FM input on an oscillator or a CV input on a modulation source.

Getting weird is all about patching in ways that aren't immediately obvious, experimenting. The real trick is taking those techniques and learning to control them. When it comes to feedback, the key is using VCAs to control feedback amount and riding the line between tame and out of control.

Also, I frequently record variations on the same patch and then edit those recordings together; similar to Burrows Cut-up method, but with sound. Lots of avant-garde writing techniques can be applied to recorded sounds/song writing.

Thanks guys, for the insights. It's not that I have any goal beyond understanding
what you were doing and how you were approaching things. Initially, I pretty much
viewed my modular as an unplayable instrument, particularly as it has no midi input.
I see that indeed there is an interesting and (for me at least) unusual performance
aspect to it as well.

I know enough about synthesizers to have already been doing some of what has been
suggested. Although, TBH, I haven't felt overly successful incorporating it into my musical ideas.
However, It seems clear that what I need here, are new ideas. :)

...Also new patch cables, as Amazon has severely delayed my order because I refuse to join their stupid Prime bullshit.

Anyway, keep em coming guys, sooner or later hopefully I can post some stuff as cool and
interesting to you, as your stuff is to me :tu:

pekbro wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:14 am ...Also new patch cables, as Amazon has severely delayed my order because I refuse to join their stupid Prime bullshit.
doesn't matter how many i buy, always seem to need one more! :o

as for new musical ideas, yes, this is kinda key with modular i think, opening yourself up to new ways of working. i mean, it is possible to build a machine that will behave like "insert fave non modular synth here" but that's not really the point, for me :hihi:
most sequencers for example, have 16 steps. (they can on some be chained with patterns, so you can trigger different patterns to build a song but...) so getting used to working in shorter loops, looking for ways to make sixteen notes, modulate in other ways so it can stay interesting for longer.
it can be daunting at first, when i first filled my bugs system i loved the sound, but like you felt it wasn't working with my previous works.
that only had a four step seq too :o
but the more i patched things in new unusual ways, the more i decided it was the other work that had to change :)

justin3am wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:03 pm
vurt wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:26 pm
Yeah me too. :drunk:
well, i figured you would, but didn't want to throw you under the bus :hihi:

Return to “Music Cafe”