Rent-to-own?

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

tony10000 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:21 amBy the way, it appears Splice is already sending business your way:

https://splice.com/plugins/manufacturers/21
https://splice.com/plugins/827-diva-vst-au-by-u-he
Analytics says: Not much, but also not nothing.

I suspect that plug-in popularity lists are content that attract people. It's a SEO measure for some websites ("Best Plug-in"). Now, Splice is both, a popularity list *and* a reseller. Naturally, when people come to the website because of the goods they can buy, those goods automagically gain more popularity. Such that, deliberately or not, the popularity list gets skewed and serves as means for competitive advertisement ("look, the stuff we sell is even more popular than that super popular stuff over there!").

I don't recall if it was Splice or some other company, but when we were once contacted by such a dual entity to take part in their shop, our plug-ins were at the top of the list. When we weren't interested, our plug-ins went down the drain :lol: :lol: :lol:

its software, you wont die if you dont have it... i see no reason at all to get in debt or join a bad scheme

imagine using it for 6 months, losing your job and not being able to work on those projects anymore

its all about priorities, go easy on the beers and save up for it.

Urs wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:01 am
tony10000 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:21 amBy the way, it appears Splice is already sending business your way:

https://splice.com/plugins/manufacturers/21
https://splice.com/plugins/827-diva-vst-au-by-u-he
Analytics says: Not much, but also not nothing.

I suspect that plug-in popularity lists are content that attract people. It's a SEO measure for some websites ("Best Plug-in"). Now, Splice is both, a popularity list *and* a reseller. Naturally, when people come to the website because of the goods they can buy, those goods automagically gain more popularity. Such that, deliberately or not, the popularity list gets skewed and serves as means for competitive advertisement ("look, the stuff we sell is even more popular than that super popular stuff over there!").

I don't recall if it was Splice or some other company, but when we were once contacted by such a dual entity to take part in their shop, our plug-ins were at the top of the list. When we weren't interested, our plug-ins went down the drain :lol: :lol: :lol:
As someone who has been in the media business (writer and broadcaster), it is usual for paying customers to get peferential treatment. That is the way things work. Whenever I wrote or tried to write an article critical of a paying advertiser or puffed a non-paying competitor, I met with swift pushback and even retribution. So, it is no surprise that their partners are at the top of the Splice charts. That said, it is the most impressive list I have ever seen on the Internet aside from KVR (nearly 1700 plugins).

See: https://splice.com/plugins/charts/plugins
Last edited by tony10000 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

AnX wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:09 am its software, you wont die if you dont have it... i see no reason at all to get in debt or join a bad scheme

imagine using it for 6 months, losing your job and not being able to work on those projects anymore

its all about priorities, go easy on the beers and save up for it.
While that is true, we all buy things we enjoy and don't really need. :)

I think the fact that they allow you to stop and start the subscription at any time a good thing since you don't lose your investment during times when things are tight.

And even if you don't have access to the plugin you are paying on, you can still make music with the ones you have and/or free and open source ones in the meantime. It is certainly more problematic if you buy Studio One on rent to own. Then you are dead in the water unless you have another DAW.

I guess my point is if I was a relatively broke musician and I had the choice of paying $179 cash for Diva or $10 a month for Serum or Sylenth, guess which synth I am not going to buy (at least not right away)?

i do see you point, but i respectfully dont agree with it

paying in installments usually means a higher price, and its a lot more work for the dev, time better spent on improving products or new products imo

AnX wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:37 am i do see you point, but i respectfully dont agree with it

paying in installments usually means a higher price, and its a lot more work for the dev, time better spent on improving products or new products imo
Well, Splice plugins cost exactly same as the non-discounted retail price. They offer a SDK to allow the devs to (reportedly) easily wrap their plugins.

As for the ROI, I have no idea as I don't know what sales numbers look like.

As I have all the plugins I currently want/need from u-he, it doesn't matter either way whether Urs decides to go in that direction. I don't have a dog in the hunt.

It is his decision. It is his company.

Thinking about it, I probably would not go with my top-selling plug-ins to test these waters. Why mess with success? How about those that don’t sell as well?

How about a “Berlin Modular Bundle” of Ace and Bazille since modular synths are currently in vogue?

tony10000 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:14 amAs someone who has been in the media business (writer and broadcaster), it is usual for paying customers to get peferential treatment. That is the way things work.
In this case it borderlines comparative advertisement though. They call it "Charts", not "List". There is no indication what the order is based on. People who visit the site are lead to believe that these "Charts" somehow reflect reality. But it is my impression that order is merely done for marketing purpose.

And of course I'm miffed that there are companies higher up in their "Charts" which I have never heard of. Me not impressed :x

The other explanation for such a skewed picture would of course be a too small sample. In case of which I'm not impressed, either :hihi:

In any case though, my biggest concern is not the rental scheme itself. It is giving up control over it to a third party. If there is one thing in the digital age that a company must do, is keep control over its user base.

Urs wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:26 pm In any case though, my biggest concern is not the rental scheme itself. It is giving up control over it to a third party. If there is one thing in the digital age that a company must do, is keep control over its user base.
I really don’t think it much different as selling them via any store or distributor since it is a non-exclusive arrangement.

And if you don’t want to go with Splice, you still have the ability to distribute them yourself a la Lennar Digital and keep all the proceeds and retain absolute control.

You would just have to develop the code to verify via the Internet every few days. Or you can go with a prepackaged solution like Qubiq, Wibu Codemeter, PACE, or something similar.

tony10000 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:57 am
AnX wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:37 am installments on a $200 or less synth?

Seriously, just save up the cash for a few weeks :roll:
I have gone from a good paying job to a fixed income in the last year (not my choice). Thus, my discretionary income is limited. Fortunately, I bought everything I needed while I was working.

However, most people live paycheck to paycheck these days with large mortgage, rent, car, Internet/TV payments, etc. That is why the rent to own model (@ $10 a month) is becoming so popular, especially since there is no interest payment or other downsides. It is really not much different than a layaway plan, only you get to use it (with the restriction of an Internet connection check and 2 computer limit) while you are paying for it.
What is Splice paying you to market them in forums??

tony10000 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:24 am I guess my point is if I was a relatively broke musician and I had the choice of paying $179 cash for Diva or $10 a month for Serum or Sylenth, guess which synth I am not going to buy (at least not right away)?
If you were a real musician you would figure out how to buy the tool you want... not whatever is cheapest in the moment

pdxindy wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:27 pm
tony10000 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:57 am
AnX wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:37 am installments on a $200 or less synth?

Seriously, just save up the cash for a few weeks :roll:
I have gone from a good paying job to a fixed income in the last year (not my choice). Thus, my discretionary income is limited. Fortunately, I bought everything I needed while I was working.

However, most people live paycheck to paycheck these days with large mortgage, rent, car, Internet/TV payments, etc. That is why the rent to own model (@ $10 a month) is becoming so popular, especially since there is no interest payment or other downsides. It is really not much different than a layaway plan, only you get to use it (with the restriction of an Internet connection check and 2 computer limit) while you are paying for it.
What is Splice paying you to market them in forums??
Ummm, no. I buy some of their sounds from time to time but I don’t even maintain a subscription.i haven’t even bought anything via rent to own.

I also just wanted to add the idea that since you're offering terms it's not uncommon to get a premium. I'm sure just as many people would opt-in for Diva at $200 than 180 with terms, maybe even enough to cover the cost of using a third-party service. Just a thought.

NFR seems fair, too.
Last edited by Touch The Universe on Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Return to “u-he”