Linnstrument - link channels on both splits

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I'm experimenting with using the left split in CC faders mode with the right split playing notes. I use the faders to control some of the aspects of the samplemodeling instruments which don't map so well to the key-pressing side (eg switching bowing/pizzicato).

Because I have a different instrument mapped to each MIDI channel, I have to switch both splits separately to switch instruments. Is there (or could there be in future) a way to link both splits' channel settings together?

Thanks!
Martin

Sorry, there is no way to change any Per-Split Setting simultaneously for both splits, nor are there plans to do so. There are so many specific individual needs that it's difficult to accommodate them all on an instrument without a display screen.

An alternative could be to change between instruments in your DAW by selecting different tracks. That way, both splits would automatically be routed to the track's instrument.

Perhaps I'm not fully understanding the scenario here, but could you not do this by simply changing presets on the LinnStrument? Granted, that would only give you six different configurations, but...

Cheers!

Roger_Linn wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:53 pm An alternative could be to change between instruments in your DAW by selecting different tracks. That way, both splits would automatically be routed to the track's instrument.
That's how I'm planning on using my Linnstrument when it finally lands on my doorstep, using LIVE as the DAW, and a NanoKontrol2 mixer to switch between the voices. It seems like the easiest solution.

Roger_Linn wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:53 pm Sorry, there is no way to change any Per-Split Setting simultaneously for both splits, nor are there plans to do so. There are so many specific individual needs that it's difficult to accommodate them all on an instrument without a display screen.
Of course, it's always a trade-off of usability and features. I was thinking maybe holding down the channel select button could put it in 'linked mode' (maybe indicated by the colour changing to the other split's colour) might work?
An alternative could be to change between instruments in your DAW by selecting different tracks. That way, both splits would automatically be routed to the track's instrument.
That would work, but I'm always trying for a setup which allows me to control it all from the instrument and not have to "poke at" the computer when performing.

Switching both splits to the same channel is only a couple more button pushes, so it's still perfectly doable with the current software :)

John the Savage wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:35 am Perhaps I'm not fully understanding the scenario here, but could you not do this by simply changing presets on the LinnStrument? Granted, that would only give you six different configurations, but...

Cheers!
Thanks John - that could indeed work. I had other plans for the presets - but I should have a couple spare... :)

I understand that you would prefer an ideal and perfect solution. But again, there are so many specific individual needs that it's difficult to accommodate them all on an instrument without a display screen. If you code, you are welcome to edit the source code.

Roger_Linn wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:39 pm If you code, you are welcome to edit the source code.
That is indeed an option I'll consider (yet another of the great things about the Linnstrument is the open-source nature of the code!)

Return to “Roger Linn Design”