Logic Pro 11 will be releasing later this year ? ?, are we expecting any major upgrades 10.5 ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Logic Pro

martinjuenke wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:43 pm I like Logic Pro as well and can cover all my music production needs with it (plus some help from NI, U-HE, iZotope...) All this bashing of Apple amuses me. I know what I have with it and I‘ve never regret going that way. Just my 2c...
For me, its not Apple bashing per se that seems weak, hell, I do that too.

It's losers clicking on a specific, boring, Logic thread who come here to tell us how crap Apple or Logic is.

Hope they find a life in the new year.

Ploki wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:55 pm Valid.

Not sure what you mean about Seaboard Rise? (I have one too)

I don't think apple doesn't care about creative musicians. Not any more/less than they ever did frankly.
I mean some apps works better for me as the Seaboard Rise in terms of slide and glide.
While velocity and velocity release isn‘t great and tactile feedback is missing, using X,Y and Z axis at the same time works much better and more smooth on my iPhone with 3D touch. The Seaboard surface is often hard to handle (if your technic is not perfect) for this a flat surface is better for glides and slides and use pressure on top.
But what i really do not like with the Seaboard is that it seems always to quantize the pitch, even with really slow and short glides. When i do the same on the Roli app on my iPhone it is much more smooth while i always have a kind of steppy glide on my Seaboard like it jumps always a quarter semi tone on a specific point. In general i find the glides sounds not smooth enough, also in most demos i saw. It works good for fast glides/slides but really slow pitch bends sounds terrible. I do not have that problem with some apps.
So here i much prefer apps like GeoShred and other with MPE midi out.

Cinebient wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:52 am

I don't think apple doesn't care about creative musicians. Not any more/less than they ever did frankly.
I mean some apps works better for me as the Seaboard Rise in terms of slide and glide.
While velocity and velocity release isn‘t great and tactile feedback is missing, using X,Y and Z axis at the same time works much better and more smooth on my iPhone with 3D touch. The Seaboard surface is often hard to handle (if your technic is not perfect) for this a flat surface is better for glides and slides and use pressure on top.
But what i really do not like with the Seaboard is that it seems always to quantize the pitch, even with really slow and short glides. When i do the same on the Roli app on my iPhone it is much more smooth while i always have a kind of steppy glide on my Seaboard like it jumps always a quarter semi tone on a specific point. In general i find the glides sounds not smooth enough, also in most demos i saw. It works good for fast glides/slides but really slow pitch bends sounds terrible. I do not have that problem with some apps.
I see. Probably a hardware limitation of the RISE, I observed the same behaviour as well. I mean, you can do kinda slow slides, but you cannot hit the surface "between notes"; you always need to slide between the notes.

I still like it tho, as a master controller. Beats keyboards

Ploki wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:04 am

I see. Probably a hardware limitation of the RISE, I observed the same behaviour as well. I mean, you can do kinda slow slides, but you cannot hit the surface "between notes"; you always need to slide between the notes.

I still like it tho, as a master controller. Beats keyboards
Yes. That is what i mean. It would be great if there would be a way to indeed hit microtonal frequencies and/or having the option to really bend the note much finer (which i can do in the app). I once asked support but it seems no way to set it up this way. Maybe the next version? But i do love to use the Seaboard as "normal" keyboard as well. Sadly Roli does not solve some bugs which i have for months and even years now.
I think next time i would go with another hardware MPE controller or just use my iPhone as controller for smooth very slow glides and slides. You can create really great slow moving drones and soundscapes with the app which sounds not nice with the Seaboard.
But the Seaboard of course has some pro too compared to a flat glass screen. I just was a bit disappointed by the limitations of the Rise after some time and use it not that often sadly now as i should. I wanted to resell it but no one wanted to buy even for the half.
Now i am still happy to own it and hope Roli put a bit more into it instead of focus on all the blocks toys. Off-topic....let us go back, sorry.

I heard Apple is dropping 3D touch from their iPhones...

Isn't there a setting to turn off pitch quantize on the Seaboard? On my Linnstrument I can quickly turn it on or off right on the Linnstrument. It is challenging, but I like playing without quantize.

pdxindy wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:08 pm

I heard Apple is dropping 3D touch from their iPhones...

Isn't there a setting to turn off pitch quantize on the Seaboard? On my Linnstrument I can quickly turn it on or off right on the Linnstrument. It is challenging, but I like playing without quantize.
I do not believe these rumors. That would be removing their best feature ever for me in terms of music creation because it really works well.
You can set in theory quantize on the fly via the glide parameter via one of the sliders on the Seaboard Rise but even with glide on 100% (or quantize 0% if you want) there is still a quantize happen which seems to works MUCH better in the Roli Seaboard 5D app (i do not talk about the Noise app). There it is much more smooth and it seems i can also there hit notes in between easy. But like i said the biggest pro is that i really can do very smooth and slowly evolving polyphonic pitch bends (and glides plus aftertouch if you want at the same time) which is just not possible with the Seaboard Rise. The hardware just seems to be limited here and this is the reason i really do not use it much these days. The steps i hear between note transitions are really annoying and fake sounding to me. Even at medium speed i cannot like it. Faster glides are good. But the slower you go, the more terrible it sounds. Miles away from what i would expect to mimic acoustic sounds.
You even can hear it in most demo videos where Roli praising how good it is. But maybe my technic isn´t good enough, whatever. Its not good for me.

10.4.4 just dropped. Nothing spectacular, though I wonder if 10.5 is gonna drop soon..
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

Thanks, will check out now

Nothing much. So maybe this was the final 10 update and 11 is around the corner.

10.4.4 really seems like "final" update, before major one comes. Excitement grows! :)

It just seems like a maintenance update to be honest, because broken autosave is a pretty horrible issue and they can't afford to let it linger for so long.

Well, you are right about that, and still there are few more bugs left from previous versions.
I guess time will tell and we will find out soon.

What i would like to see in Logic is unlimited layers of stacked (midi and audio) tracks (as sum) with midi FX channel also on the top track (parent track if you like).

So I guess an update could be likely to drop in the next couple of days?

I'd love to see some UI refreshes on Ultrabeat, EXS24 and sculpture (make em look more like alchemy, just general clarity and usability)

Would love multiple layers of folders in folders (stack tracks). Good options for saving an entire stack track.

A patcher thing where I can easily make multiband rountings for FX etc (not having to buy a third party plugin just for that) (like in studio one, multipass, fl patcher, hofa system 1, etc)

An idea I've been thinking about recently that I don't know if it's good or not. A format for plugins to plug directly into the channel strip in logic (such as quick access to eq knobs) (kinda like how reasons mixer looks, but with support for 3rd party plugins etc)

Oh, and I'd love a little more usability in the automation department. I just find working with the automation curves could be a bit easier. Some suggestions would be to be able to have a region with automation lines in and have them be visible at all times in the arrange window. It just feels like they kinda dissapear and you have to dig them back up again, would feel better if they always stayed more upfront once you've created them.

One more thing. A quick way to open another track for the same plugin (not the same as duplicate track) (probably exists, but feel like it could be a button)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”